Absolute best headphones for around $300??
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Winholtz303

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I have a pair of Beats Solo HD and I just thought they were the best thing ever until I started reading online about the truth about beats.  Also I read about these weird people called "Audiophiles".. well turns out I think they're pretty cool! I'm looking for the absolute best headphones for around $300.  I do not mind if it is closed or open back.  I will be using these at home with my iPhone and laptop.  I listen to mostly all rap and a lot of electric too.  I am a basshead but I don't want to lack and highs or mids.  Thanks in advance!

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 8
The V-moda M100 has a lot of bass, and is generally one of the basshead choices for that price range. $250-$300 USD. I liked them when I heard them, but a little too much bass for me despite liking some V-shape. Also not the biggest fan of the design, but I think the plates are customizable.

If you maybe want to venture outside of the basshead category, just to add some other options, the Hifiman HE400's are also $250-$300 and I hear have pretty good bass for being an open headphone (open headphones typically don't extend as far down). They are also planar magnetic, if you are interested in trying the planar-magnetic take on bass that some people really like. It is designed to be easy to power, but some say that planar magnetics need to be amped even if they are efficient and low-impedance.
The PSB M4U1 is considered one of the best $300 headphones you can get. It also isn't a basshead headphone though. It is not as "impactful" in it's bass as other headphones from what I hear. Might not be as good without an amp from what I hear.

The V-moda M100 is a safe bet though if you don't want to miss out on any bass and doesn't require any amp, so will work fine from your phone or laptop. Here's a link to the head-fi product page for some reviews:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/v-moda-crossfade-m-100

Sep 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #4 of 8
Sony MDR-1A, Sennheiser Urbanite On Ear, Monster Adidas Over Ear, or Beats Solo 2.

Solo 2 is louder than the original Solo and it has more highs, while keeping the bass. Sony MDR-1A great all around sound, nice soundstage with great bass. Monster Adidas is my secret weapon, with Audio Technica ear pads it has a hard hitting bass and super clear highs. Sounds the best out of all I've mentioned. With the stock pads it also sounds great, but on par with everything else. Sennheiser Urbanite On Ears have a very nice soundstage and great bass, but slightly recessed mids. 

The Sennheiser Urbanite XL (Over Ear) is not as loud as the others I've mentioned and when you crank the volume the bass breaks up. 

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #5 of 8
HiFiMan HE-400 or maybe the HE-400S?  I've never heard of the HE-400 disappointing a basshead, and apparently it does not have an entirely recessed mid range.  It's supposedly very easy to drive and sounds decent out of an iPhone or computer.  See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HE400

In the future you could get an external DAC and amp if you wanted to improve sound quality.

Sep 17, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Yep. The original HE-400 has beautiful sounding bass. Not super heavy bass. But very fast transient response that gives it excellent texture when listening to EDM.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 8
I haven't heard the HE-400S, but the testimonials on Head-Fi indicate that the measurements that Innerfidelity has are accurate: that the bass extension is a very rolled off in comparison to the HE-400. The HE-400S doesn't seem to be a headphone for someone that likes sub bass output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back