Absolute Beginner
May 15, 2009 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

guyx1992

500+ Head-Fier
Hey..
I've never in my life entered the world of DIY, except for maybe connecting my HDD on the floppy rail with those white long clips. I've been interested in this field because you can make such great things with minimal cost (and maximum fun).
I thought of doing something simple at the beginning like building a cMoy amp. Is that a good choice? If so, how's this kit? eBay Page
BTW, I have no experience in soldering.

Thanks.

May 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #3 of 14
The RA1 clone looks good.
What's 311 NTD in USD?
How much is shipping to Israel? It's written in some far-east language.

May 15, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyx1992 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RA1 clone looks good.
What's 311 NTD in USD?
How much is shipping to Israel? It's written in some far-east language.

Lol.

May 15, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 14
I think he's laughing at the fact that you asked a head-fi'er how much something would be in USD, as if he is up to date with the current conversion rates, meanwhile google is just begging you to use their ability to convert currency which would be much easier.

Yeah, go with the grado clone, or like most, go to tangentsoft.net/audio and build the cmoy from the tutorial on his site. It's the best way to get into DIY

May 15, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 14
What about the mini3 from either hohodiy or glassjaraudio? I know I want to start with that project...
Also OP. Have you ever made some cables?

May 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 14
I believe if you're interested in taking this hobby to the next level in the future, you should start by building a cmoy with parts collected from your country locally. You will gain the experience of working with electronics in your country.

This will keep you going on and on but requires much more effort. The advantage of it is that you cut down a lot on foreign expenses and learn how to be creative and how to compromise.

May 15, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 14
I've never made any cables. I'll check for parts here in my country. (for the cmoy)
The mini3 is a bit expensive for now. Maybe when I'll be more experienced with DIY I'll try it.

May 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #11 of 14
I've had a few things shipped from Israel and the cost of shipping would probably be more than the cost of the parts.

I highly suggest that you poke around for local distributors and electronics shops. Even if they don't stock a part, ask them to order it for you. They can probably have it shipped with a bigger order from their supplier and you'll pay a lot less.

Also use this opportunity to scour used/surplus electronics places. Once you get past a CMoy, you'll want to tackle more ambitious projects. These kinds of shops will save you hundreds or thousands if you pick up old cases and transformers. The time you spend learning how to scrounge really does pay for itself.

The CMoy is a great place to start. Follow the guide and source parts locally. If you haven't soldered before, go get some blank perf boards and a bag of cheap resistors. This should cost you less than $5 USD. Practice soldering resistors to the board - you'll get the hang of it in a few hours. Also, grab some dead/cheap PCB cards at the surplus store. Like an old modem or something. Practice desoldering the components on it and soldering new ones in. Those should be cheap or possibly free - they might give you some bad cards to play with.

Good luck, keep at it and post pictures of what you build!

May 16, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #12 of 14
May 16, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 14
Really have nothing to add... I'm just awestrucked by individual6891's avatar
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back