ABS or poly?
May 22, 2008 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm shopping for a Hammond 1455 enclosure for a Millett Max, and I was wondering if there was any *significant* difference in drillability/appearance/etc. between poly and ABS? The poly version of this enclosure is $5 less than the ABS version, so I wanted to save a couple bucks if possible.

May 22, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 8
I think he meant the front panels.

Plastic so you don't have to deal with grounding issues. Plastic so that you don't feel as much "pain" as you do when you screw up an aluminum panel.

May 22, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm referring to the end panels and possibly the top panel of the enclosure (I think the aluminum part is an extruded "U" shape.)

Both ABS and polycarbonate are plastics, and the different part #'s I assume use one or the other for the end panels and possibly top panel.

Does this clarify?

May 22, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 8
If we're asking for opinions, I'd stick with Aluminum end panels. They make for a more rugged and commercial-like appearance.

If you mess one up, give Hammond a call directly - they'll send you endplates for free (as long as you don't abuse that privilege).

P.S. The top panel is always aluminum on the 1455 series - what FallenAngel said.
wink.gif

May 22, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #7 of 8
My mistake - I didn't read carefully enough - the ABS/poly option is for the bezels, not the end panels.

Why, then, does the bezel material itself (not that much material) change the price by $5?

May 22, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iniamyen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My mistake - I didn't read carefully enough - the ABS/poly option is for the bezels, not the end panels.

Why, then, does the bezel material itself (not that much material) change the price by $5?

The plastic ended version has the bezels molded into the plastic endplates, so technically, there are no separate bezels. So, the choice is between regular ABS enplates or special translucent-color polycarbonate endplates. That's why the polycarbonate option for plastic-endplates costs more.

The metal endplate cases have separate ABS bezels, period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back