About to simplify, any thoughts?
Aug 10, 2008 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
My daughter is getting very curious about my stereo. It is freaking me out. She is ten months old. Therefore, I am going to downgrade from this sized system ( I am going to bullet-proof box everything and store it in my closet until she is a little older.):

HPIM1114.JPG

To this size:

HPIM2025.JPG

The second picture is of my old system (about four years ago). I will not be using those components, or even the cheap floor turntable.

My system will consist of:
Pioneer PD-91
Marantz 7001
Polk Speakers
+ my two Headphones of course.

Very basic for me. No power conditioner. No tuner. No turntable.

Anything I should hear before I do it?

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #3 of 16
I'd just put some nasty smelling stuff on my equipment/case so she'd hesitate to go near it. Or eat another baby in front of her.

Aug 10, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could live without vinyl?
wink.gif

For a year? I have done it before. My friend's kid was fine after he was 18 months old, but from 10 months to 16 months, he was terror.

My daughter likes to pull on cords and $1000 worth of table/cartridge is a fun-looking thing to pull on.

Aug 11, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 16
Electroshock therapy
wink.gif

I'm with you, shiny cool expensive things and toddlers does not a combo make! I suffer by having my gear in the dreaded dungeon...so on the main floor I have a rather craptacular setup. Still, I'm patiently waiting for the day that I can bring it all upstairs and use it all far more frequently.

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 16
Good luck on the downgrade. My 3 year-old son pushed in an aluminum tweeter on my CC speaker the same day that I bought it (I blame myself). My dealer replaced it for free!

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electroshock therapy
wink.gif

It does wonders for teething, too. They shoot right in. Bzzzzt.

C'mon, juniperlater, which is it: Daddy's little girl or Daddy's little stereo?
I say let her play with it.
tongue.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good luck on the downgrade. My 3 year-old son pushed in an aluminum tweeter on my CC speaker the same day that I bought it (I blame myself). My dealer replaced it for free!

If you ever fall out with your wife, keep your dealer's number and marry him!
biggrin.gif

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:09 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you ever fall out with your wife, keep your dealer's number and marry him!
biggrin.gif

lol.

To further explain that story, I was able to "un-concave" the tweeter but my dealer tested it and it was dead. I told him what happened.

Current day: my son is 10 and I buy him DAPs and HP's and teach him how to use Media Monkey,iTunes, etc. on my old laptop so hopefully he'll leave my stuff alone. Some day my son will be a Head-fier.
beyersmile.png

Aug 11, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 16
No regrets, man, do it!

Simplifying is a great way to re-focus on your priorities on the things that matter most, in audio, and in general too. Seize the simple life!

Aug 11, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No regrets, man, do it!

Simplifying is a great way to re-focus on your priorities on the things that matter most, in audio, and in general too. Seize the simple life!

I agree. I have this feeling that my possessions are beginning to own me. So this might be a good thing for me.

Aug 12, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #15 of 16
i am not sure why you are simplyfing.
If it is just child proofing, i never bothered with that. Let them see and touch and hear things. i do not agree with keeping things hidden, it just makes them curious. They can use the cameras, stereos, whatever, help them out when they want to do something (its a kind of supervision).
Keep the TT up off the floor though, and the covers on the speakers, this is all about common sense. Tell them that dad's tube amps on the floor are very hot and will hurt you if you touch them. They listened to me. All of them like to use dads "la-las" to listen to music, mine or theirs. Don't get caught up in the $ value of it. You found it once, you will find something else later. Right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back