About to pull the trigger on the AD700s
Jul 13, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
I posted a thread in here about open/closed headphones for college a little while ago, and after seeing the AD700 being repeated as plain awesome for the past few weeks, I think I'm gonna go for that. My budget was $200 but since these are <100 I think I'll spend the rest on an amp.

Before I order 'em are there any last thoughts? I was gonna go for the AD900, but the $270 price tag was just too much.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 17
If sound leaking is not an issue and you don't mind their lack of bass then they should be a great purchase. Otherwise you definitely want to look elsewhere.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 17
I ordered the AD700s and I am just waiting to get them this week
ksc75smile.gif
These will be my first open full sized headphones. I'm excited to hear them. My decision was between the AD700s and the grado sr60s. I went with the AD700s because I thought that it would work with most of the music I listen to, classical being one of them. I do plan on getting the sr60s later.

Jul 13, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #4 of 17
While the AD700 is a great phone it does have a couple of flaws. Fit could be an issue depending on head size. Bass impact could be stronger (an amp will improve this). The upper midrange/lower treble is somewhat recessed. It is still one of the best phones available in its pricerange (along with the Alessandro MS1).

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the AD700 is a great phone it does have a couple of flaws. Fit could be an issue depending on head size. Bass impact could be stronger (an amp will improve this). The upper midrange/lower treble is somewhat recessed. It is still one of the best phones available in its pricerange (along with the Allesandro MS1).

Jay, I think you have neatly and succinctly summarised the reasons why I will spend the extra money to get the AD900s when the time comes, although my large head is a perfect fit for my A500s so I dont anticipate having any problems in that area - its reportedly the folk with small heads who complain about fit on the large ATs.
k701smile.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 17
Not exactly sure how much of it is the amp but my AD700s have no bass problems. IIRC bending the headband to get more clamp helped out a lot.

Anyway, hope you enjoy them as much as I do.
biggrin.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KONAKONA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not exactly sure how much of it is the amp but my AD700s have no bass problems. IIRC bending the headband to get more clamp helped out a lot.

biggrin.gif

I think the main reason the mids can seem slightly recessed and the bass impact weak is because of the driver distance from the ears. The extremely light clamping force doesn't help, especially for those with smaller heads.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 17
Yeah, If I press them against my head I definitely get a stronger bass, but it still doesn't have that "punch" that I like so much.
frown.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the main reason the mids can seem slightly recessed and the bass impact weak is because of the driver distance from the ears. The extremely light clamping force doesn't help, especially for those with smaller heads.

I never thought the mids were really recessed, just the treble being very hot for the first few weeks I had them.

At first I very much preferred my MS-1s to them, then for a while they were even, now I'm about ready to MS-1000 mod my MS-1s because I prefer the AD700s to them so much now.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Just bent the headband and it really helped with the fit and bass. It also helped the midrange a bit as well imo. Everyone who has a loose fit needs to try this as they now fit snugly on my head and don't fall of even if i try to make them.

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:40 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I never thought the mids were really recessed, just the treble being very hot for the first few weeks I had them.

At first I very much preferred my MS-1s to them, then for a while they were even, now I'm about ready to MS-1000 mod my MS-1s because I prefer the AD700s to them so much now.
smily_headphones1.gif

I used to prefer the AD700 but now I prefer the MS-1. The extra bass punch and more forward midrange makes them a bit more enjoyable to me. The AD700 is very close though and may even beat it now that I adjusted the headband of the AD700. Doing this made nearly all my problems with the AD700 disappear.

Jul 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #12 of 17
I love my AD700, go for them and if you don't like them they sell FAST in the FS forum so you won't be out of pocket to much.

BTW I also find they have just the right amount of bass and I also don't think their midrange is recessed (much stronger than the veiled midrange of the Senn HD55/595's that I have heard).

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Not exactly sure how much of it is the amp but my AD700s have no bass problems.

This was my exact experience yesterday. I was a bit apprehensive about ordering AD700's because I listen to trance and electronic primarily and appreciate good bass. But when I received my AD700's yesterday and listened for the first time, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the bass was perfectly fine! In fact, coming from A700's, I couldn't even hear that much difference in bass.

However, this was through my Zero amp. When I ran the AD700's through my laptop onboard, I could immediately hear the bass was weaker.

Also I listen to my music very loud so that might be a factor. d(-_-)b

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 17
I will be running through a (quality) soundcard and amp, so I don't think the bass will be a problem. I haven't gotten the soundcard or amp yet, but I will be in the near future now that I HAVE JUST ORDERED THE AD700!

Oh man the wait is killing me. and BTW I didn't go with the MS1/i because those are known as "rocker" headphones, and although I listen to mostly rock, these are doubling as gaming cans as well as for a few other genres of music.

EDIT:
If you have any suggestions for a ~$100 amp, I just made a thread in the amp forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be running through a (quality) soundcard and amp, so I don't think the bass will be a problem. I haven't gotten the soundcard or amp yet, but I will be in the near future now that I HAVE JUST ORDERED THE AD700!

Oh man the wait is killing me. and BTW I didn't go with the MS1/i because those are known as "rocker" headphones, and although I listen to mostly rock, these are doubling as gaming cans as well as for a few other genres of music.

EDIT:
If you have any suggestions for a ~$100 amp, I just made a thread in the amp forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe you could just get the Xonar Essence STX. It is a great soundcard with a built in headphone amp. The amp won't perform as well as a good desktop amp but will certainly outperform any portable amp for $100. You made a good choice with the AD700 (though the MS1 is still a good allrounder and performs well enough for games imo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back