About to pull the trigger on some srh840....stop me?
Mar 31, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

akwizeguy

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I've been doing extensive research into my first foray into full size cans. I'm not an audiophile newb nor a hardcore one. I have much expierience with home audio (marantz, bowers & wilkins, JM lab, focal, jl audio, rotel) and car audio (old school Phoenix gold, pre-buy out mb quartz, jl audio etc) but my only expierence with headphones are my trusty pair of shure scl4.

I listen to alot of electronika music (deadmau5, wolfgang gartner, PVD etc) and hip-hop. I also like jazz and classical.

My price range is around $100-$130.

I've narrowed my search down to either the audio technical ath-m50 or the shure srh840. What I need from these cans are dynamic range low frequencies but not overly muddy or loud bass, just to where it sounds natural and accompanies the song correctly. And I absolutely hate overly "shrill sounding" highs that causes ear fatigue.
I'll be using these over long periods of time as I'm a med student, so comfort is somewhat of a concern as well.

So what do you guys think? Should I pull the trigger on the srh840 @ J&R for $130 shipped or go with the ath-m50? Are the srh840 ~$40 better in terms of SQ?

Thanks for any and every response

Mar 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 42
I can't compare with the M50s, but here's my opinion on the SRH-840 as it pertains to your concerns;

I think for a closed can, the 840s are good with hip-hop, and certainly not bad with jazz and classical. I suspect it would be good for the genres you listen to at this price point.

There is a nice low end presence with these cans, but certainly not overbearing or muddy. I found that the highs were very relaxed and not at all forward. I would even say they were slightly recessed, but it was still present and enjoyable.

Comfort is good. The only thing I can complain about is the weight, as they are somewhat heavy. The earpads are very comfortable though and the clamping pressure isn't very strong. I would prefer a slightly stronger clamp myself, but maybe it's just my head.

$130 is an excellent price for these cans. Whether they're worth that extra over the M50s, you'll have to wait for comparison from someone else. I say just go for the Shures though, otherwise in the future you may be left wondering, "what if?"

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 42
Thanks a bunch for your reply!! I just pulled the trigger, and I figured with J&R's return policy, if it's not what I'm looking for I can just return them and opt for the m50s.

I've read a couple threads, as little as there are, concerning srh840 vs m50, and it seems kind of split with some people preferring the m50s or the shures.
I would still love for some other headfiers insight regarding the two.

Ha I guess I kinda just needed a final convincing peptalk toward the srh840.

Mar 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 42
For the money, I think they are a no brainer. I love mine. Listen too them just as much as my 1000 dollar grados. Enjoy.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 42
Don't do it!!!!!! I'm too late!!!!

But seriously, the 840's are great headphones. You really could do a lot worse. Hope you enjoy them.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 42
The biggest contender for the shure 840 is the Beyerdynamic DT250, check em out, really comfy with very balanced sound. Great for every type of music. Whereas the shure 840 is'nt very balanced so might not be great with certain music.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 42
I'm sure you will enjoy your Shures. Congrats.

Mar 31, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 42
For the money SRH-840s sound great and comfy (no experience with M50s). I use them for Rock/Hip-Hop/South Asian Music, they sound good.

Beware of the coiled cable though, they pull on the headphones when extended. I don't think a straight cable option is available yet.

Good Luck.

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 42
I don't know if this will stop you but I'll try. My srh840 are my worst sounding full size headphone. The RS1, HF1, K701, and HD800 all sound significantly better. Though maybe I just don't like the closed in sound of closed back headphones so ymmv.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if this will stop you but I'll try. My srh840 are my worst sounding full size headphone. The RS1, HF1, K701, and HD800 all sound significantly better. Though maybe I just don't like the closed in sound of closed back headphones so ymmv.

All of those headphones cost at least double what the SRH840's cost, so that's not a fair comparison.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #13 of 42
Do you absolutely need a closed headphone? I agree that open headphones generally sound better than closed headphones. However from my experience most headphones need an amplifier to really sound their best, which adds quite a lot to their total price. If you do need isolation and don't have an amplifier then SRH840 are a very good buy overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back