About to pull the trigger on a pair of PK2's
Nov 9, 2008 at 8:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

foges

Head-Fier
Im about to buy a pair of PK2's (off ebay for 69$ is that a good price?) and i was just wondering if anyone had any discouraging information before i go ahead and buy them. Im looking for something portable, i have a pair of Sure e4c's, but i dont like to use IEM's the whole time (because they get dirty, and therefore reserve them for longer trips).I listen to mainly rock (eg. Red Hot chili peppers, killers, porcupine tree, avril lavigne, etc...)

Nov 9, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 11
head-direct.com selling around that price too, with free worldwide shipping.

own a pair before, but sold it cuz i need isolation. it's good but thin on bass. i suggest get KSC75, a lot cheaper and both on par. but modded KSC75 rock
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:29 AM Post #3 of 11
I'd go with the Yuin OK3's tbh.
Newer model + free Fiio amp bundled if you buy from head-direct.com + free worldwide shipping = mega win.

Head-Direct.com | YUIN

From Antonyfirst's big Yuin comparison:

Quote:

PK2 vs OK3
I find these earphones very similar. The most noticeable difference between them is sensitivity. The OK3 are a bit less sensitive than the PK2. Using a MuVo and the OK3 I have to raise the volume of one notch to match the same volume of the PK2. It's actually a slight difference.
When I approached the PK2, I didn’t know what to expect. After reading Kostalex’ review (many months ago), I expected they sounded very similar to Koss KSC75. Furthermore, when I used to talk to Kramer about the Yuins, one year ago, I was figuring that the PK2 were “grado-like”. At that time, my only experience with a “grado” sound were the d-JAYS, which I profoundly disliked as innatural, due to the extremely nasal midrange and distorting electric guitars.
The PK2 are a lot more natural than d-JAYS. They are similar in sound signature to the Koss KSC75, but with closer soundstage and better speed. The PK2 are clearer than KSC75, especially in the bass and midrange, which sounded muffled and dirty with the Koss.
The PK2 are also more natural than the Grado SR-60, but the latter is bigger sounding and shows better instrument separation.

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Interesting. I would really like to avoid having to carry an additional amp with me though (i know its small, but still) Can the OK3's be used unamped as well? and are the pk2's and ok30's prety much as good, the quote only says that the ok3's are less sensitive

@toughnut: id prefer to go with headphones that rest in the ear and not on the ear

Nov 9, 2008 at 10:54 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting. I would really like to avoid having to carry an additional amp with me though (i know its small, but still) Can the OK3's be used unamped as well? and are the pk2's and ok30's prety much as good, the quote only says that the ok3's are less sensitive

@toughnut: id prefer to go with headphones that rest in the ear and not on the ear

KSC75s have earclips, not IEMs.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #6 of 11
I'd take the PK3 over the PK2. The PK2 sounds thin, unnatural and too sharp. PK3 offers bass quantity and quality, sounds more balanced, much fuller and retains the same amount of clarity and details. Dont be fooled by its cheaper price.

I'd like to compare the PK2 with the ER4. Overrated, thin, boring etc..

There are more earbuds out there though. Sennheisers, Mylar crossroads (they have a new PK1 competitor but IMO sounds exactly the same as the PK2 though I didnt hear them with foams on). I swore with the yuins (especially with the PK1s) before but after hearing the other earbuds. The differences are really minimal.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 11
Ok, this is interesting. I thought everyone here loved the PK2's, guess i was wrong. Ill rephrase the question then.

What headphones can you recommend that cost less than ~90USD (shipped international) I want headphones that rest in the ear (like the pk2's not ones that go over the ear nor IEM's). I dont want to have to carry around an amp either, it needs to be small. I listen mainly to rock (eg. Red Hot chili peppers, killers, porcupine tree, avril lavigne, etc...) some techno as well.

PS: I have the shure e4c's and like them, but would like a bit more bass. I plan on investing in a pair of grado SR60's later on as well.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #8 of 11
go with the yuin pk2.I have koss KC75 ,i have the Mylar X3i ,i had the Er4p .The soundstange and the seperation and the airy of PK2 cannot find in the above of these.The negative thing is that is has anemic bass.

Nov 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by foges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, this is interesting. I thought everyone here loved the PK2's, guess i was wrong. Ill rephrase the question then.

What headphones can you recommend that cost less than ~90USD (shipped international) I want headphones that rest in the ear (like the pk2's not ones that go over the ear nor IEM's). I dont want to have to carry around an amp either, it needs to be small. I listen mainly to rock (eg. Red Hot chili peppers, killers, porcupine tree, avril lavigne, etc...) some techno as well.

PS: I have the shure e4c's and like them, but would like a bit more bass. I plan on investing in a pair of grado SR60's later on as well.

OK3's as I said..the Fiio amp is a free gift..up to you whether you want to use it or not...it goes fine without the Fiio.

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 11
Ok chinesekiwi, i took your advice. cant wait for these things to come
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back