About to pull the trigger on a Beresford TC-7510
Jun 21, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #76 of 81
Interesting thread here, and as a Beresford owner, I'd like to offer my thoughts.

First, I'd like to say that I dislike upgrading and comparing my components - doing so takes away the pleasure of simply enjoying the music. I do not have a great ear for detail and have no desire to analyze my music - subtle differences simply don't matter to me. If a change is not conspicuous, it's not worth it. I'd rather spend my money on necessities or donate it to charity. Thus, after a year-long period of researching, buying, and testing, I've stopped browsing Head-fi on a regular basis and my setup will likely remain unchanged for the forseeable future.

I've owned a Beresford TC-7510, in the MK5 and then MK6/3 configuration, for the past 9 months or so. It's a versatile, stable, great-sounding device for both my headphones and speakers, and I foresee using it for as long as it lasts.

Earlier this year, I tested a loaner Rockhopper Audio CK2III headphone amp (~$300) against the built-in headamp on the Beresford for a week. Both were fed by the Beresford DAC. Ultimately, the CK2III was clearer, but the Beresford headamp was more bassy (a boon for the AKG K601) and more euphonic.

Prior to that, I used my M-Audio Transit (~$80) as my DAC. Adding the Beresford DAC to my audio chain resulted in a noticeably more spacious, three-dimensional sound, and allowed me to get enough volume on my AKGs. If this had been all, I would not have kept the DAC. However, I knew I could also use the TC-7510 for speakers, to improve the sound of my DVD player, and to improve the sound of my PS2. All these benefits for around $180 represented a great value and investment.

Stanley Beresford, in addition, has been a pleasure to deal with. He replied to my emails usually within a day, and was always helpful and courteous. When my Beresford MK5 began to show signs of buzzing and malfunction, he generously allowed me to return the unit and shipped me a MK6/3 for only the cost of shipping. I would rate my overall experience with the Homehifi company very highly.

That said, there appears to be some questions about Beresford's partnership with Technolink that has not been adequately answered. Both of my DACs, the MK5 and MK6/3, were shipped from Taiwan. Therefore both versions must be manufactured there. The DAC sold by Technolink on their webpage appears to be a MK6, though not a MK6/3. From the information gleaned from this thread, it appears that Technolink manufactures all versions of the DAC, but sells the older MK6 under the "TEC" brand name at a cheaper price and the current MK6/3 under the "Beresford" name at a higher price. The British import tax argument does not hold here, and the price difference is a bit much. After all, the sound quality did not change much for me when I upgraded from the MK5 to the MK6/3 (although I did not compare directly). I would have gladly saved some money by buying the TEC DAC instead. In my opinion, then, Stanley should protect his business from confusion by being more upfront and transparent about his relationship with Technolink, perhaps with a paragraph on the Homehifi website. Still, I have no large qualms with spending ~$180 on a quality piece of equipment.

This is my attempt at a personal, level-headed opinion in this thread. I hope it helps.

Jun 21, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #77 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Stanley Beresford, in addition, has been a pleasure to deal with. He replied to my emails usually within a day, and was always helpful and courteous.... Still, I have no large qualms with spending ~$180 on a quality piece of equipment...

Without getting over-philosophical about it that pretty much sums up my feelings too.

Jun 21, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 81
I haven't purchased a Beresford, but I did speak with Stanley Beresford via email a couple of times last year. He was polite and courteous, open and honest. Back then, I had money set aside to go toward a DAC, and I was close to purchasing the Beresford. With their money back guarantee, I figured it was well worth a go.

Why didn't I buy one? Well, I fell on extremely hard times, and had to use up my DAC fund, birthday money, and everything else, purely in order to survive. Had this not happened, I would have bought one.

Some of the comments in this thread about delivery - I live in the UK. Stanley assured me I would receive the DAC the next working day after placing my order - this is very typical of business dealings in the UK. Even many 2-3 day 'express' services end up delivering the next working day. But the price difference between the slower services and NWD is negligible - many people who buy things opt for the next day service. I do - I purchased a motherboard and CPU last week from two different vendors, and both items arrived the day after placing my order.

Whether I buy motorcycle tyres, CPUs, motherboards, garden hedge-trimmers, toner cartridges - from all vendors, the items have been received NWD. It really isn't anything exceptional - I guess you guys from "over the pond" forget that our country is probably around the size of one of your states!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, back on topic - when my finances resolved themself, did I order the Beresford? No. Not because of the bad press the product has acquired(which, generally, does seem to be from people who've never sampled it). Nor because of my communications with Stanley. I purchased the "Zero DAC" because I liked the price, specifications, components used, and features.

I may purchase the Beresford in a few weeks, if he's still doing the money back warranty. I'd be interested to see how the sound compares to the Zero DAC once I've found a selection of opamps I'm very happy with. If it beat the Zero, then I'd keep the Beresford and sell the Zero. If it didn't, then I'd just send it back and drop the ~£18 it cost me in post. From the positive comments made by others, and the money I'd be risking by trying the 7510, to me it looks like a deal well-worth investigating. No other DAC offers us folk in the UK the same chance to sample the product without having to keep it.

Seriously, some of the comments I've read on here have been extremely harsh. Much the same as the fanboys on computer forums - "Don't touch a Celeron. They're sheet." is so often said - and what happens? A processor capable of far, far more than anyone needs for email, playing movies and listening to music, gets thrown aside for no reason other than muppets regurgitating something they heard on the grapevine.

If certain people are signing up purely to try and gain business for the company in question, then that is something else, a matter in it's own right. I don't agree with such antics, but I've not seen any evidence of them on here(not saying that they haven't happened, just that all I see is Beresford-bashing).

At the end of the day, so long as we're all loving our audio, then who gives a sheet?
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:55 AM Post #79 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my opinion, then, Stanley should protect his business from confusion by being more upfront and transparent about his relationship with Technolink, perhaps with a paragraph on the Homehifi website.

I understand that Beresford offered to come on head-fi and even sponsor a Q&A topic in order to answer various questions, but none of his emails to head-fi have ever been acknowledged. So maybe there is a wider picture out there that the rest of us are being kept in the dark about
rolleyes.gif

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #81 of 81
Based on the information available to us, we feel comfortable banning at least the following profiles: StanleyB1, Herandu, and DC Lee. It is our opinion that there is enough in common with these profiles--and especially in conjunction with the post histories of these profiles--to ban them. Here is the information this decision was based on. Some of you may not be convinced enough by it still, and that's fine with me. It is my opinion, however, that most experienced forum administrators would agree with me that there is enough information to come to certain conclusions.

The user profile at Head-Fi titled StanleyB1 is Stanley--this does not appear to be in dispute by anyone (Stanley included), and the e-mail information in that profile is consistent with this.

The profiles DC Lee and Herandu registered with the following e-mail addresses (parts of them obscured):
  1. Herandu: fxxxxxxxxn@trashmail.net
  2. DC Lee: Dxxxxe@trashmail.net
(For more information on trashmail, visit trashmail.net.)

The post histories of DC Lee and Herandu can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
  1. DC Lee
  2. Herandu

And, using an administrator tool for checking this, StanleyB1 and DC Lee show up as having at least one common cookie logged into Head-Fi. I have concluded from this that StanleyB1 and DC Lee have logged into Head-Fi with the same browser at least once.

Some might find it helpful to look at the post history of all three profiles to see if there is anything non-Beresford that at least two (if not all three) have discussed in common. I did that, and it was helpful for me in strengthening the resolve of my decision.

An IP cross-reference check on StanleyB1's profile reveals several IP addresses (which itself is normal). However, of the IP address information gathered over 92,248 user registrations, 339,894 threads and 4,496,686 posts, only two users shared common IP addresses with the username StanleyB1 (as you can see below): Herandu and DC Lee.
  1. 217.43.202.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  2. 217.43.202.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  3. 217.43.203.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  4. 81.129.137.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  5. 81.129.137.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  6. 81.152.136.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  7. 81.159.141.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  8. 81.159.176.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. Herandu 81.159.176.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  9. 81.159.238.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  10. 82.28.192.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. DC Lee 82.28.192.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
    2. Herandu 82.28.192.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  11. 82.28.66.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. Herandu 82.28.66.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  12. 86.132.114.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  13. 86.135.179.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  14. 86.135.64.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. Herandu 86.135.64.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  15. 86.135.83.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  16. 86.135.83.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. DC Lee 86.135.83.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
    2. Herandu 86.135.83.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  17. 86.146.163.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  18. 86.149.65.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  19. 86.152.121.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  20. 86.155.165.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. DC Lee 86.155.165.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
    2. Herandu 86.155.165.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  21. 86.164.115.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
  22. 86.2.32.xxx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. Herandu 86.2.32.xxx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  23. 86.2.36.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. DC Lee 86.2.36.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
    2. Herandu 86.2.36.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]
  24. 86.2.42.xx [Find More Users with this IP Address]
    1. Herandu 86.2.42.xx [Find Posts by User] [View Other IP Addresses for this User]

Again, even in the face of this information, you may still think it not enough information to ban the three profiles here. If so, then yes, we simply disagree on the persuasiveness of the collective information to make the decision.

As far as Stanley's assertion at another forum this action was taken to protect Head-Fi Sponsors from the success of Beresford's sales, I will only say that such an assertion is absurd, as any regular Head-Fi'er will tell you that (a) we have a very active DIY section that encourages users to make their own DACs, cables, amps, etc., which certainly doesn't benefit any Sponsor, except those selling DIY parts; and (b) of the nearly five million posts, countless of them are positive comments about products made by companies who have never advertised or sponsored Head-Fi, as well as negative comments about products made by companies who have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back