About to get Phonak Audio PFE...
Mar 5, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #16 of 34
They just arrived today.

With the foam tips on them they have quite good isolation. I had a radio playing in the room when I put them on, and whereas before I put them on I could hear everything on the radio just fine, with them on the radio was very muffled, although I could still faintly tell it was there, even with nothing playing on the PFEs. I haven't tried the silicon tips yet.

As for the sound, they sound fairly good. Midrange had good presence when I had the gray filters in. I happen to like more bass and treble, so I promptly switched in the black filters. The treble is good, but I wish it had more bass. Would burn-in help? If so, what would you suggest doing?

Also, out of my Creative ZEN, they aren't quite as loud at maximum volume as some of my other earphones. However, under most circumstances due to the good isolation, I probably won't need to use an amp. However, right now I'm trying them with my Zoom H2 as an amp, and it's working quite well.

So that's my very initial first impressions with them. Verdict: To me they sound fairly good, but with a somewhat subdued bass, although they're a little quieter than I'm used to. I suspect that burn-in would immensely help the bass. What do you guys think?

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They just arrived today.

With the foam tips on them they have quite good isolation. I had a radio playing in the room when I put them on, and whereas before I put them on I could hear everything on the radio just fine, with them on the radio was very muffled, although I could still faintly tell it was there, even with nothing playing on the PFEs. I haven't tried the silicon tips yet.

As for the sound, they sound fairly good. Midrange had good presence when I had the gray filters in. I happen to like more bass and treble, so I promptly switched in the black filters. The treble is good, but I wish it had more bass. Would burn-in help? If so, what would you suggest doing?

Also, out of my Creative ZEN, they aren't quite as loud at maximum volume as some of my other earphones. However, under most circumstances due to the good isolation, I probably won't need to use an amp. However, right now I'm trying them with my Zoom H2 as an amp, and it's working quite well.

So that's my very initial first impressions with them. Verdict: To me they sound fairly good, but with a somewhat subdued bass, although they're a little quieter than I'm used to. I suspect that burn-in would immensely help the bass. What do you guys think?

Getting an amp may help your out. E5 is around 20, enchance bass and produce higher volume..........

Mar 5, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by gameboy115 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting an amp may help your out. E5 is around 20, enchance bass and produce higher volume..........

$20? Got a link, or at least what brand is it? Also I thought good amps didn't start until around US$13,750,000, with the best ones going for around US$72,135,480,525,000..... and all the cheapies were the ones under US$575,000... (Hey, this is Head-Fi, isn't it?
wink.gif
)

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 34
What??? You are kdding about those amp prices, right?

If you want a decent amp for the PFEs, get the iBasso T4 (www.ibasso.com), which is $131 shipped. Your issues with the PFEs (bass, volume) are the same ones I had and I just use an amp. Others like the PFEs fine without an amp, and I respect that as well.

You can get the FiiO E5 at head-direct.com (US based) for $22, and it's a small, cheap amp that has a decent bass boost button and will increase your PFE volume with the ZVM (which I used to own. Or do you just have the plain Zen?). Nice thing about the ZVM is has the line out dongle (that plastic thing that attaches to the bottom) and you can use it with a decent mini to mini cable ($12 at head direct) to get a true line out. If you plug the PFEs into the E5 and the ZVM line out into the amp, you will be in SQ heaven. Better if you get the T4, but the E5 is fine.

No, burn-in will not really make any difference with a balanced armature transducer. But some say it does.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #21 of 34
Ok... looks like I should consider ordering the FiiO E5 then.... hey when you click the bass boost on it, what frequency range does it seem to boost? I don't like amps that boost the 100-250Hz (approximately the second G from the bottom of the piano to about middle C) range - that to me is upper bass to low/mid tenor. Bass to me is more like about 16 Hz to 55 Hz or so (bottom C on a Bosendorfer Imperial to the second A from the bottom). Actually I happen to like sub/contra-bass, down a couple octaves below the Bosendorfer.

(If I had spent upwards of $700-800 on a pair of headphones, then I'd maybe consider spending $131 on the iBasso T4 amp.)

Also where should I get the E5? Head-Direct has it for $22 and it appears to be available now, but Deal Extreme has it for $18.08 but it says pre-order there.

Mar 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #22 of 34
If you want it soon, go with HD. I ordered one from Dealextreme on 2/15 (for my nephew), and it just shipped. If I had known, i would have ordered from HD.

If you had paid $700-$800 for your IEMs, you would not really need an amp at all. I got my iBasso used for $85, and with the PFEs, it's sound nirvana to me and worth every dime. Can't answer that bass question, way too technical for me.

Mar 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #23 of 34
I have a question what is that....helicopter sound in your piano recording......also who had a chip on the side of their left in-ear I have one to it's on the black pair I recieved after my white pair.....

Mar 6, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #25 of 34
The only burn-in involved is, might be brain/mind burn-in to adapt the fabulous SQ. My PFEs sounded better on day 5.

May 12, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #26 of 34
Ok, so I've been using them for a while now.... and so far have gotten to like them for the most part, I think, except for a few things....
* the low (bottom to ~32 Hz) bass response seems to be a bit subdued for my tastes. (I haven't bought an amp yet like one of the $20 ones mentioned above, though)
* the ear pieces keep popping off the headphones, and I've almost lost them a few times
(I started off with the medium foam tips, but when those got all earwaxed, I took them off, tried the medium silicone tips (which didn't feel like they were sealing as well), and right now am using the large silicone tips.)
* I can get a good seal in my ear, but usually after a couple minutes they'll loosen somewhat, and usually eventually (after a few songs) fall out
* a few weeks ago I noticed the insulation (wire) on the left side a couple inches or less from the earphone had worn through somehow...
* now the left side is playing very weak (although I can still hear it - I tested by plugging it into my computer and cranking the master balance all the way to the left. I'd guess it's probably somewhere around 40 to 60 dB quieter, with a type of sound like you would have with an incomplete connection (i.e. a headphone plug not plugged all the way into the jack), but the right side is fine)
* the silicone ear guides won't stay on

Anything I should do about this? (Pics of a couple things coming, but I need to restart my computer - USB ports seem to be not working right now)

May 12, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #27 of 34
Return them if the driver is failing. And you can clean the foamies using hydrogen peroxide, if you still have them. They are still under warranty. As for the ear pieces coming off, that's odd. I use foamies almost exclusively, or the Sony Hybrid tips.

May 13, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #28 of 34
Here's a few pics...

First pic was within a few seconds after inserting the earphone.
IMG_4025.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG

You should be able to see the exposed wire.
IMG_4027.JPG

This was within a few seconds of installing the ear guide.
IMG_4028.JPG

Is it possible that maybe I'm not doing something right?

Also another possible factor is often the wire will get caught / wrapped around something, and is often inadvertently subjected to more tension than I normally would like to apply.

So how would I go about returning them, as I bought them online from audeoworld.com? And yes, I still have the foamies, and what are the Sony Hybrid tips you talk about? (And/or is there a way to get / try something like the triple-flange tips that go on the Etymotics?)

May 13, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #29 of 34
Contact them through that same website, tell them there is a problem and see what they are going to do. That cracked cable seems pretty severe. You used them normally right, no "accidents" or anything. They have been very good with returns. Check the Phonak Defect thread for the contact at Phonak. He just posted there today. WBrownie. Or call them at the number on the website.

May 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by pianoplayer88key /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how would I go about returning them, as I bought them online from audeoworld.com?

Here's the thread tstarn06 mentioned - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/p...thread-418044/

I updated the first post with a link to wbrownie's update. Tomorrow I'll post your pics there and add you to the list.

That cable looks bad by the way
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back