About to get new iPhone, should i get se530?
May 8, 2008 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

iStupid

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I already ordered an iPhone and it's on its way to my grubby hands. A friend just let me in on a good deal for Shure earphones: roughly 40-50% on retail price.

I'm currently using a pair of JBL 220 Reference headphones. They sound okay, but the cord microphonics are the worse I've heard in ANY headphones.

The price for the discounted SE530 is roughly 250USD and goes down from there for the other models. Since this is the top of the line Shure earphones with triple drivers, it sounds like a pretty good deal (or so my friend tells me).

So what I want to know is this:
1) has anyone had good experiences with this combo?
2) I read on some websites that the entire SE line is iPhone compatible, is this true?
3) is it worth it to blow 250USD for a set of earphones (frankly, I'm not a big audiophile but a gadget freak that can't resist a good deal
tongue.gif
)
4) is the quality so amazing that it completely blow lower models (like the SE210 for instance, which can be had for 82USD) out of the water?
5) how are the microphonics on this as I haven't seen any mention of it on any reviews I've read?

Please excuse this long post and let me know as this deal expires very soon!

May 9, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 42
I too am interested in hearing impressions between the two IEMs. I have had the Sure 210sfor a long time until I lost them, then I go the Super.Fi 5 pros and they are much better than the Shures. So I would think the 530s should blow them both out of the water.

May 9, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 42
The SE 530 sounds great with the iphone..no need for any extensions, as fits the recessed jack . I would suspect the entire line is iphone compatible.
I bought them at full price, but found I like the sound of my headphones better. If you can afford a good set of headphones as well as the Shures, go for it. If not, perhaps find a way to listen and do your own comparison testing.

May 9, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 42
Oh you're using the SE530 with the iPhone now? So i can just plug in the earphones without using any of the included extension cords?

How's the microphonics on this?

And since the impedience on the 530 is quite high (36 omhz), does the iPhone have enough power to get good sound from it or would i need an amp? Sorry i'm quite the newb when it comes to the high end earphones

May 9, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 42
I have used the E500s with the IPhone the day they both came out. The e500s first obviously, but the combination is outstanding. make sure your audio file quality is high, the simple 128k that Apple sends down on ITunes will jump out as really bad on the IPhone, but with their Plus or something from Amazon at 256k, or your own from CD you will be impressed. Its the best non-amped combo I have.

My other rig, for comparrison is a Predator from a Classic into ER-4Ps. The impedence of the E500s are very low... so driving them cleanly and at prominent levels is no problem directly out of the IPhone.

For commuting its served me well for over a year now. Still makes me smile with good quality music files. No Microphonics to speak of, compared to say an ER4P

May 9, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #6 of 42
I haven't listened to the iphone but I had the ipod touch for about 3 weeks and if the iphone is anything like the touch the hiss you will hear from the headphone out to the shure's will be the worst you've ever heard.
Other than that it sounded pretty good with my Shure E500's. I just couldn't stand the hiss.

May 9, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by iStupid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hiss?? That sounds a little scary....is it really loud and distracting?

It was for me iStupid, but than again I listin to alot of Jazz and Jazz vocals where there is tons of silent area's so it would totally ruin the mood.
As for the Shure's SE530's, well I'd definitely get them. They are an awesome iem.

May 9, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't listened to the iphone but I had the ipod touch for about 3 weeks and if the iphone is anything like the touch the hiss you will hear from the headphone out to the shure's will be the worst you've ever heard.
Other than that it sounded pretty good with my Shure E500's. I just couldn't stand the hiss.

Interesting. The only noticeable hiss I've ever gotten out of my Touch is tape hiss from bad old recordings. Of course, I never listen to it without a Predator between the Touch and my SE 530s. And I am older than dirt and have measurable high-freq hearing loss.

YMMV, I guess.

May 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 42
maybe my high end hearing has fallen off, but I dont hear any hiss at all with my E500s direcly out of my IPhone and the EQ set to treble boost.

May 10, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 42
agree with CMasten, the Amazon 256k bit rate mp3's are fantastic, no DRM, cheap, fine selection, and sorting on "most popular" while shopping on Amazon mp3 store helps me discover new music. 1-click too.

You will LUV your 530's. They are amazing. I have 500's without the extension cord plugged in to a Shuffle loaded with Amazon 256's always in my shirt pocket, no case or nothing, and can dive in to audio delight in seconds. i no longer get tense and hyper waiting in line, like for an hour at passport control, Newark airport. no joke, my blood pressure is lower.

May 11, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #13 of 42
Thanks for everyone's responses!

So the 530 sounds okay on the iPhone? I've been reading it up on various forums and such and people have been saying the iPhone isn't powerful enough to drive the 530 without the amp. So i won't be getting the most out of these pair of sweet sweet earphones.

A friend has mentioned to me that maybe i should just go for the SE420 instead and I'll be able to get the best of earphones. Is that a good idea?

I have a friend who works at shure who can get me these at employee discount.

May 11, 2008 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 42
I would not agree with that at all.

The E500 sounds very good direct out of an IPhone, plenty of head room and its clean (considering the source)

It will sound better with an amp.. but I dont get anywhere near the improvement on my E500s out of my Predator as I do with say a ER-4P, to me the E500s are so effecient they are "good enough" direct out.

I would still buy up to the E500s and at some point if you want to amp them, your good to go. Buying anything less, will be ... well just less...

May 11, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 42
That's cool, thanks for your comment CMasten. I think i'm going to head to a shop where i can test out the 420 and a 530 on my iPod Mini 1G (old i know...but that's the only thing i can test it with until my iphone gets here by the end of the week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back