About to buy- first set of nice speakers
Aug 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ac!d-rxn

Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I have been casually looking at a set of nice floorstanding speakers for a little while now and I think I found a pretty great deal from a friend.

Being a complete speaker neophyte, I wanted to just check in here and see if anyone had input or at least could confirm that this is a good buy.

The deal: 2 Klipsch F-3 floorstanding speakers. 2yrs old, no faults or damage. $350
F-3 --- Floorstanding Stereo Speaker - Klipsch Synergy Series - Overview

Is there anything else in this price range that is "better" in your opinion? I was also looking at a NEW set of Energy RC50's for 2 x $300 = $600 for a pair. Are these a big enough step-up in quality to justify the price difference? If so, what makes them "better"?

Just FYI - I will be running these off an old (I am assuming low end) Onkyo Reciever and using them primarily for movies and music. As I am living in a small apartment with a few roomates and many neighbors, volume output isn't my main concern. I am interested only in value and SQ - clarity and bass are my top priorities.

Hope I provided all the important info, please let me know if I left anything out!
Thanks in advance for your help!

Aug 4, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 25
The Klipsch Synergy series isn't very good. If you like Klipsch, I'd suggest starting with the Reference line, maybe something a little older like the RF-35. They can be had pretty cheap on eBay. Also check Audiogon for other used floorstanders and AV123's clearance/sale section as well since you can find good bargains if you're patient.

Aug 4, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #3 of 25
For the price, based on what the F-3 sells for new, I'd say that it's a decent deal. I'd suggest demoing them, though, because people typically either like or dislike the Klipsch sound. I've heard both the Synergy and Reference lines and as long as you drive them well with a good source, they don't sound half bad.

Aug 5, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #4 of 25
How is bass a top priority with many neighbors around? Bass is notorious for penetrating walls and into neighbors' spaces with ease almost regardless volume. That should be low priority...

I would say the Klipsch are not for you. They are speaker manufacturers that, IMO, tend to emphasize highs and lows and ignore the mids. Their speakers make for some great party speakers when listening to trance or electronica or other similar "highs and lows" music, but that's it.

Aug 5, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 25
x2 on AV123 speakers. You probably should look at their X Series or the ELT. They had a special where they would let you demo them for days and return with free shipping if you don't like them. Just order a set of each and decide which one you like. They also have great sales on their B stock items at crazy prices. Some of these B stocks don't even look like they should be B stock. Also look in their forum. They are still active in the classified sections of their site. The rest of the forum is closed but you can still read thru their threads. They have great membership over there and you can probably find someone that will let you have a listen. PM me if you have any questions.

Joe

Aug 5, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 25
x3 on AV123 speakers. The sales they have going on are insane! An ELT 525 5.0 set for $599!!! That's 2 towers, 2 monitors and a center for that price. Damn....just the towers are $799!

The sale only pertains to the cherry finish.

I own a pair of the monitors and they are very sweet sounding speakers. And last summer I paid $299 just for the monitors! Crazy deals going on over there!

Good Luck!

Roger

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 25
Wow- thanks for all the good advice-
You have convinced me to do more in-depth research on a deal that I thought was a grand slam. Thanks- you may have just saved me $350 in disappointment (not a trivial sum to me right now!)

This almost makes up for the $800 this site stole from my bank acct by introducing me to custom IEMs (no disappointment here - I LOVE my customs about as much as I love my family).
beyersmile.png
icon10.gif

I am going to spend some time looking at the AV123 stuff - I have never heard of them.

Luckily, a friend owns a similar if not identical set of klipsch floor standers so I can demo them tomorrow. I also own a set of klipsch promedia 2.1 computer speakers and while I am overall pleased with the sound (especially for the price), I can't say I LOVE them. I do most of my critical listening with IEM's (they are what I am most educated about/familiar with and are the only really quality hardware I have) but with some of your criticisms of the klipsch sound, I think I will try to pay closer attention to my promedias and my friends set to see if I agree!

Thanks again, I will report back after I make a decision.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #8 of 25
Be sure to also consider used speakers. They can be a considerably better deal than new ones. One of the best deals I found was a pair of ESS AMT-1s for $300. They have the magical AMT up top and a pair of modern woofers really tightens up the bass. The Parents lifted my pair (they think I have too many speakers
smily_headphones1.gif
), but I've been blissing out with the Quads.

With your budget, you might want to look at a pair of Magnepan MMGs. They're $600 new, but $400-$450 used. They're one of the outstanding bargains out there. They won't hit the lowest bass with a lot of thump, but you can always integrate a subwoofer. They will, however, give you clarity in spades as planars do, and the dipolar soundstage will leave your jaw on the floor. I'm a dipole diehard for good reason.

You might also want to take a look at DIY speakers. If you have access to a few tools, you can find stunning performance on your budget.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Luckily, a friend owns a similar if not identical set of klipsch floor standers so I can demo them tomorrow. I also own a set of klipsch promedia 2.1 computer speakers and while I am overall pleased with the sound (especially for the price), I can't say I LOVE them. I do most of my critical listening with IEM's (they are what I am most educated about/familiar with and are the only really quality hardware I have) but with some of your criticisms of the klipsch sound, I think I will try to pay closer attention to my promedias and my friends set to see if I agree!

Thanks again, I will report back after I make a decision.

I was more referring to Klipsch's passive speakers... not their computer speakers... Mostly because Klipsch speakers tend to have large woofers and horn tweeters which leaves little room for midrange.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #10 of 25
Do not go mad buying huge speakers especially if bass will be a problem you'll probably find it to boom to much and your neighbours will ring police to complain, even if you have it quite low. If you want nice new floorstanders you're going to have to spend more than $300.

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,

I have been casually looking at a set of nice floorstanding speakers for a little while now and I think I found a pretty great deal from a friend.

Being a complete speaker neophyte, I wanted to just check in here and see if anyone had input or at least could confirm that this is a good buy.

The deal: 2 Klipsch F-3 floorstanding speakers. 2yrs old, no faults or damage. $350
F-3 --- Floorstanding Stereo Speaker - Klipsch Synergy Series - Overview

Is there anything else in this price range that is "better" in your opinion? I was also looking at a NEW set of Energy RC50's for 2 x $300 = $600 for a pair. Are these a big enough step-up in quality to justify the price difference? If so, what makes them "better"?

Just FYI - I will be running these off an old (I am assuming low end) Onkyo Reciever and using them primarily for movies and music. As I am living in a small apartment with a few roomates and many neighbors, volume output isn't my main concern. I am interested only in value and SQ - clarity and bass are my top priorities.

Hope I provided all the important info, please let me know if I left anything out!
Thanks in advance for your help!

dont touch klipsch unless they are of the vintage when they were made in america, after they outsourced their quality soared downward, i used to have 2 totally klipsch based systems, one heritage, one reference. one with the mains/ front channels being 94 vintage klipshorns, lascala center, and heresy sides, and i built an reference series, (american vintage) for my son rf 5;s for fronts, rc7 center, and rf 3 sides, and to be honest in deference to everyone who defines klipches shortcomings it is simply product bashing, the older version klipsch systems were and still amazing, lacking mids? laughable, shows inexperience with the speakers too many people talk simply by word of mouth. BUT!!! the speakers you spoke of are just short if being well by the declining quality, a larger version of bose, they sound like old version reference, but still wrapped in the packaging, anything synergy.... stay away. new klipsch, buyer beware quality is in the toilet, since klipsch went south i have went in a different sound direction, my system is now B&W 802 based, i do miss those klipshorn horns daily. you get great deals on klipsch, there is a reason, if you get used klipsch gear, only buy from the heritage line. everything else is .........................

Aug 5, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #12 of 25
one more thing, you can probaly find locally a pair of heresies, they are the babies of the heritage line, for aroud 350, on craigs or ebay and performance wise, they would make the f-3's sound like a alarm clock

Aug 5, 2009 at 9:21 AM Post #13 of 25
No, I've actually heard Klipsch speakers in person... with various musics too. The modern stuff's midrange is lacking. I don't think that's arguable. But you're right that vintage Klipsch stuff is highly prized. Heresy pairs in particular.

Aug 5, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #14 of 25
Stay away from floorstanders if you think neighbors might be an issue. Have you tried any other speakers in your apartment up until now? Even say a 2.1 computer speaker system with a subwoofer. Try setting a test of some sort with some speakers like that and put it up to the level you intend to listen to. If you get along well with your neighbors find out if that level is going to be an issue, or work out some time schedule when you can listen to stuff. If all goes well get nice floorstanders. If you get complaints straight away and the neighbors arent the negotiable type, get bookshelf speakers instead.

I've gone through this several times and it just gets very frustrating that you setup a nice system and everytime you get complaints on bass. We have finally come to an understanding on a time schedule with my neighbor now and so far it has worked. (Weekends only, after 12 before 10pm)

Aug 5, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also want to take a look at DIY speakers. If you have access to a few tools, you can find stunning performance on your budget.

x2 on the DIY speakers. I just built a pair of GR Research Neo-2X's and they are absolutely amazing for the price!! Danny Richie designed them and you can buy the kit on his website. It's $329 without any upgrades. Since I have neither the skills or the tools to build the cabinets I got a guy from the AudioCircle forum to build them for me. They cost $200 but are beautiful!!! So, for about $550 you get a speaker that you would pay around $2000 retail for. Best speakers I've ever owned.

Something to think about...

Roger

Users who are viewing this thread

Back