About to build a CMoy
Feb 6, 2007 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SomeoneWhoIsntMe

New Head-Fier
I'm going to build a CMoy using tangent's guide, and I've got all the parts picked out.

The power caps are these, the input caps are 1 uF Wima MKS2's, the resistors are all Vishay/Dale RN55-K or -F, and I'll be using an OPA2227P for the op-amp.

Specifically I was wondering if the power caps were fine, but input on the other parts is good too.

Also, is there a way to buffer the power supply while still using half a protoboard? I'd like to run an Analog Devices op-amp if it's not too much trouble.

Finally, where can I get a nice male-male miniplug cable?

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to build a CMoy using tangent's guide, and I've got all the parts picked out.

The power caps are these, the input caps are 1 uF Wima MKS2's, the resistors are all Vishay/Dale RN55-K or -F, and I'll be using an OPA2227P for the op-amp.

Specifically I was wondering if the power caps were fine, but input on the other parts is good too.

All you components above will work well, probably not sonically the best but commonly available.

Quote:

Also, is there a way to buffer the power supply while still using half a protoboard?

Need more information to answer this, do you have a picture of your protoboard or a link?

Quote:

I'd like to run an Analog Devices op-amp if it's not too much trouble.

It is good to audition both chips from TI and AD, you will notice differences. Try an AD823 it is easy to work with.

Quote:

Finally, where can I get a nice male-male miniplug cable?

Try making your own, easy to assemble and wont cost too much. Do a search here.

cheers,
Brent

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 7
Change those power caps to UPW's. Those are the best choice for Nichicon from Mouser. The input caps sound a little big, but I'm apparently in the minority about that around here.

I think Tangent specifically mentions that the AD823 is "sub-optimal" without a buffer. Personally, I would stay away from AD chips in the CMoy. Again, I keep getting out-voted about this, but I would stick with the OPA2132. Get your CMoy working first with the standard parts - then go for improvements later. Even so, there are plenty of OPA chips to pick from that can deliver adequate current by themselves.

The problems with AD is that the good ones with current capability are singles, while the doubles are SOIC, not DIP-8.

Feb 6, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #4 of 7
get yourself a peg-board and just plug-N-play swap parts on the fly. I've been playing around with mine and its a GREAT way to hear A/B how different parts affect the sound.

Heres my frankenstein
icon10.gif
Ive since added a 10k pot, enclosure and DPDT switch for power.

I know its scoffed at, but I'm finding that I dont like input filter caps. I can't tell if its a placebo or for real, but I could swear the sound sounds restricted and lacks depth... at least with the standard value caps. I'm still playing around though. and OF COURSE I measure the DC offset before I plug in my KSC 75 (my crash test dummy
icon10.gif
)

My power supply is different than the standard tangent design. I have 2 9V cells in series, with virtual ground between the cells (like the RA1, I think). Part of my experimentation is to see how unstable the circuit gets when the cells deplete. I'm also wondering how different brands of 9V cell behave as they start to dump. unfortunately I dont have a scope so, I'm relying on my multi-meter and ears.

You know those junk-cans/buds that are in the trash-bin?... time to pull em out and put them to work. Some of them are surprisingly durable
eek.gif
eek.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get yourself a peg-board and just plug-N-play swap parts on the fly. I've been playing around with mine and its a GREAT way to hear A/B how different parts affect the sound.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been toying with building a CMOY using different power supply configurations suggested by Tangent (http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html) :
  • the standard resistive voltage divider
  • the TLE2426 rail splitter
  • the discrete rail splitter using the BUF634
My goal is to measure the output power possible with the different designs and the effect on battery life. I'm somewhat hard of hearing without my hearing aids, and maximum power using a design based on two AA batteries is sometimes inadequate (Sennheiser 280s).

If anyone reading this has data on this, I'd appreciate a link!

Thanks,
--skip

Feb 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by skip gaede /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion. I've been toying with building a CMOY using different power supply configurations suggested by Tangent (http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html) :
  • the standard resistive voltage divider
  • the TLE2426 rail splitter
  • the discrete rail splitter using the BUF634
My goal is to measure the output power possible with the different designs and the effect on battery life. I'm somewhat hard of hearing without my hearing aids, and maximum power using a design based on two AA batteries is sometimes inadequate (Sennheiser 280s).

If anyone reading this has data on this, I'd appreciate a link!

Thanks,
--skip

3) Seems a little overkill for a CMOY, but sure, why not.

Main thing you should know is 2 AA batteries are 3V. This is way under what any opamps could run without clipping. A single 9V is enough for most Analog Devices chips and some of the Texas Instruments chips. Raise the voltage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back