About those legendary Sony's...
Feb 5, 2003 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 27
The kenwood d72 sounds like a great player from what akar has told me. Tell us more when you can Hirsh.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Feb 5, 2003 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
The kenwood d72 sounds like a great player from what akar has told me.

It is a nice player. I was really getting into it when the line-out went bad. I found a broken trace on the circuit board, ran a wire between the points the trace was supposed to connect, and all is well. I'll post more details once I've got some more listening time in.

Feb 6, 2003 at 11:30 PM Post #18 of 27
biggrin.gif
I have:
Sony
D-5
D-2
D-35
D-303
2 off D-555
D-900
D-EJ01
D-915
D-??, 3in PCDP

Denon DCP-150
Technics XPS-900
Aiwa XP-7
XP-3
Pana SL-C570??
SlimX2

And few more I can’t remember. I stop counting when I got my 20th
Best of all is DCP-150
D-900 is nice
I like my D-ej01, most people think has poor sound, for me through line out is enjoyable.
Technics is just average
Aiwas have very good sound.
D-555 is heavily overrated, great features but SlimX2 is not far behind (excludes sound quality)
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2003 at 2:51 AM Post #21 of 27
Use the search function to find out that all new sonys and panasonics sound like trash from the headphone out..

Biggie.

Mar 12, 2003 at 2:57 AM Post #23 of 27
Just got a Sony D25S and really like the sound. No one else has mentioned it, though... Is this not considered to be a very good (legendary) player?

Mar 12, 2003 at 6:28 AM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
Just got a Sony D25S and really like the sound. No one else has mentioned it, though... Is this not considered to be a very good (legendary) player?

Are you referring to the D-25S being legendary, or the D-335 that zeldon was talking about?

The D-25S gained it's status when a review was posted a while back on it.. and the wide availability of the D-25S. The headphone out is powerful, but some find the sound bright. (me.)

Read the review.

Mar 13, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 27
vwap - I was talking about the D25S. I am new at all of this and don't have all of the "audio lingo" down, so I'm not sure what "bright" means in terms of sound (isn't that a visual thing?!?
tongue.gif
)

Perhaps the Sony D25S isn't a legendary PCDP, but I really like the quality of its sound . I use it with my SennHeiser HD590 headphone and like it - a lot.

Thanks for the link to the review, also.

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris
vwap - I was talking about the D25S. I am new at all of this and don't have all of the "audio lingo" down, so I'm not sure what "bright" means in terms of sound (isn't that a visual thing?!?
tongue.gif
)

Perhaps the Sony D25S isn't a legendary PCDP, but I really like the quality of its sound . I use it with my SennHeiser HD590 headphone and like it - a lot.

Thanks for the link to the review, also.

From the Stereophile "Dictionary":

bright, brilliant The most often misused terms in audio, these describe the degree to which reproduced sound has a hard, crisp edge to it. Brightness relates to the energy content in the 4kHz-8kHz band. It is not related to output in the extreme-high-frequency range. All live sound has brightness; it is a problem only when it is excessive.

Basically.. bright is when the upper spectrum of sound is too loud.. and then it just sorta .. pierces.

Mar 13, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #27 of 27
Thanks for the explanation, vwap. Perhaps my unsophisticated ear is at fault, but I have not yet noticed the brightness of the D25S output. Some people have said the HD590s are also too bright; I don't notice that either.

Still learning, after all of these years.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back