about the OPA227PA
Dec 28, 2005 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

P_1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, I just built 5 cmoy amps over the weekend and I just noticed that the chip said OPA227P instead of PA is that normal? I ordered these chips from digikey.

Dec 28, 2005 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1
Hi, I just built 5 cmoy amps over the weekend and I just noticed that the chip said OPA227P instead of PA is that normal? I ordered these chips from digikey.

no problem, they are fine for your application. Some of the specs of the P version are slightly better than those of the PA version, but that does not make a difference for a headamp.

Dec 28, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #6 of 13
I've noticed this with some speaker setups as well, when nothing is going through them they would have a low hiss as long as power is going through them. Is there anyway to fix this ? The amp sounds great when music is playing but when there isnt theres a hiss.

Dec 28, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by P_1
wow, thanks guys. Is it normal to have sort of a hiss when nothing is playing?

In my experience, the 227 series (i used the 2227) is dead quiet when not playing anything, unless you're playing them at EXTREMELY LOUD LEVELS.

There may be a few things causing this, i'd consult tangent's guide and his troubleshooting section.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 13
You can try inserting R5 resistors (see Tangent's guide). Also, if you have these configured at the stock gain of 11, that is normally too much for many applications. See if you can cut it down to 5 or less and this should take care of the hiss.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
You can try inserting R5 resistors (see Tangent's guide). Also, if you have these configured at the stock gain of 11, that is normally too much for many applications. See if you can cut it down to 5 or less and this should take care of the hiss.

+1 on this suggestion by Pars. Try lowering the gain first, then add R5 if you still have hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back