About official vendors of Grado (RS-1)
Aug 14, 2005 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

CamelBackCinema

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know if this is really an appropriate public post but I was wondering if 695.00 for RS-1 is really the "street" price for a new pair. I know a lot of companies protect their vendors by telling them they have to sell at this price (or atleast advertise). Like Taylor guitars have to have an official price of 75% of the MSRP atleast but you can talk dealers down a lot more than that. Also Etymotics and Shure void warranties etc. etc.

I would like to take this to PMs to not hurt any business or vendor etc. But I was looking if private vendors do offer to go lower through private phone calls. I am also weary about your average vendor and would like to know who you guys recommend. I will probably call Headroom tomorrow.

If most vendors just won't go any lower than 695.00 that information would be grateful too. Thank you very much!

Aug 14, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 19
Indeed. You probably will not find any lower prices since Grado Labs is extremely strict on the prices.

A check at ToddTheVinyJunkie, Headroom, and Froogle confirms the $695 price.

Looks like you're interested in used RS-1's though.
biggrin.gif
Good luck with the purchase!
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 14, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #3 of 19
Well if you become a contributing member you can get a 10% discount at headroom.

Feb 26, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 19
Indeed. You probably will not find any lower prices since Grado Labs is extremely strict on the prices.

Uh . . . . I believe that's called "Price Fixing" . . . very illegal in many states . . .

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatman7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uh . . . . I believe that's called "Price Fixing" . . . very illegal in many states . . .

Not price fixing. It's just hard to find Grados unless it's from an authorized dealer, and they can't sell outside of their given area, aka, North America, or Europe.

And big news! Most headphones companies do the same thing. You should take them all to court!

Feb 26, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #9 of 19
Not just headphone companies, in fact most things sadly.....and even big players have failed to win in the courts in EU........unfortunately.

As for naim etc, maybe worth looking wider a field for other good gears.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #10 of 19
If this price protection doesn't happen, you end up, as has happened with computer parts, with a race to the lowest price, with places selling large quantities of the items in question at $5 profit per item online. All the smaller stores end up going bust because they can't compete and the customer loses out, the small, long-established stores often being the only places one can go to talk to someone who is patient and has genuine knowledge, not just wanting to get you out the door with whatever gets the most commission.

And yay for bumping a thread from 2005.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yay for bumping a thread from 2005.
smily_headphones1.gif

This.

A couple posts up someone mentioned a 10% discount at Headroom for contributing members, but I could not find anything about that... and then I realized the post was from 2005...

Feb 26, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 19
amusicdirect.com $545 on sale as of 2/26/09

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 19
Take a look in the classified section, there's usually a nice pair available for a great price in there
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit... This is almost four years old... lol

Feb 26, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I could be wrong, and if I am, some one correct me, but I don't think that is right. Price fixing is an agreement between the vendors to fix the price high, akin to monopoly or colluding oligopoly. For grado, the mfr, to say "you can't sell our products if it isnt MSRP" isn't the same thing as price fixing, because the firms don't agree with each other to fix prices. Rather, they have to agree to sell at msrp in order to stock grado products.

Feb 26, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Holy 3 1/2 years thread bump!
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back