About Ipod's digital output, it's that better than the sound-card's digital output?
Jul 23, 2010 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jonjovi421

New Head-Fier
About Ipod's digital output, is that better than the sound-card's digital output?

For example,Ipod+Wadia 170/Onkyo ND-S1/Arcam irdock compare to laptop+TC K8.

I also wandering,Wadia 170/Onkyo ND-S1/Arcam irdock,which one is better? Is that the effect can be so different?

Thanks for your help!

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 14
smile_phones.gif

Jul 24, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 14
From my experience yes, it is miles better. There is absolutely no noise when I go digital out from ipod whilst around the sound card there's so much interference that I can hear noise.

Jul 24, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Onkyo ND-S1 is just outstanding. Now I've got the same SQ from iPod feeding my D10 as D10 fed by MBP [Optical].

Maybe MBP has a higher quality digital output than a PC or maybe your DAC isn't able to reveal everything which can be considered a plus in this case.

Jul 24, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #7 of 14
I wouldn't spend more than 20% of the total audio system cost on a transport. Also your computer may be very different from other computers when it comes to transport quality, but people do usually say it sounds bad :p. Try your laptop off battery and make sure it's bit-perfect, maybe the sound quality is good enough for you already.

Jul 25, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #8 of 14
Many people said that the laptop usually has signal interference and supply a bad power, so that pchifi sound worse than the turntable. Also,I don't want to use a turntable, because it is Complicated. So I want to try to use Ipod's digital out.

Jul 25, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 14
I wouldn't be so worried about interference and PSU with a digital output, with analog out maybe. That's my experience at least. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
Maybe MBP has a higher quality digital output than a PC or maybe your DAC isn't able to reveal everything which can be considered a plus in this case.

I didn't understand what you said. What I meant was I am getting the same SQ as if my D10 is fed through the optical out of MBP to Onkyo's optical.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #13 of 14
I would say it depends.  Generally lower end digital outputs will all sound similar  when connected to a DAC
There are many soundcards that have higher quality output that are transformer coupled and produce an excellent signal.
If you are hearing any type of noise from either output you have something wrong in your system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back