About changing IEM cables - Polarity issues?
Apr 7, 2010 at 7:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

googleli

Headphoneus Supremus
Question 1:

There are two pinholes on each side for IEMs whose cables are replaceable (er4p, TF10 Pro, and all customs). Is there any difference if I plug the earpiece in one orientation (say A pin to A hole, B pin to B hole), and the other way round?

Question 2:

Recently I got a ER4P cable adaptor and use it to switch to the Westone cable to eliminate microsonics. It is clear how to plug the ER4P earpiece to the adaptor because one pin on the 4p is larger while the other is smaller and fits into the respective smaller and larger pinholes of the adaptor. But again on the other end of the adaptor, where the adaptor connects to the Westone cable, I am not sure whether it makes a difference if I plug one way or the other way round. Does anyone have an idea? Many thanks.

Apr 7, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes it would affect the sound.

If you had both ear pieces wired wrong they would be out of phase, you can google for some tests for this. if only one was wired wring it could sound even worse.

Presumably any headphones with removable cables would indicate the way to plug in cables correctly to prevent this.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 12
The UE cable got absolutely no marking on the cables except the L/R sign. Putting the flat side of the earpiece on the table with the nozzle of the earpiece facing up, should the L or R sign be facing up or facing the table when connecting the cable to the earpiece?

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 12
The letter faces the direction the driver is facing.

like if you look inside the IEM, you should be able to look up and see a letter.
So the letter should be facing up, away from the table
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks! Now at least I know my 18 Pro is properly connected.

Now to the er4p adaptor. I use the adaptor with the Westone cable. Should the red/blue dot on the Westone cable be on the same side of the larger pin or the slimmer pin of the er4p driver? Many thanks.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #9 of 12
Can anyone enlighten me on this one? With the Westone cable, should the side with the "dot" align with the larger pin or smaller pin of the 4p? Many thanks!
k701smile.gif

Apr 12, 2010 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 12
On custom cables, it's not difficult to confirm polarity. You simply check for continuity between mini jack tip (L)/ring (R)/sleeve (ground) and Left/Right channel corresponding connector.

Is there a method to determine polarity of the custom IEM (portion that connects to the drivers) without depending on sound?

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
On custom cables, it's not difficult to confirm polarity. You simply check for continuity between mini jack tip (L)/ring (R)/sleeve (ground) and Left/Right channel corresponding connector.

Is there a method to determine polarity of the custom IEM (portion that connects to the drivers) without depending on sound?

Same question. Anybody? I can't test by ear because I would have to reasemble the IEM and I would not be able to open it again.

Mar 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM Post #12 of 12
This thread just made me think of one more variable in the headphone chain...

My preamp is absolute phase inverted at both main outputs, so positive and negative connections at my speakers and subs are reversed -- no biggie and SOP for this preamp.  I use Tape Out, which is non-inverted, to connect my headphone amps so I am golden al the way around.

But what about any of you guys using a phase inverted preamp and also using Line Out to connect your headphone amps????   Your phones, although properly wired, will be out of phase.  You may or may not hear this and it may be recording dependent, but it exists nonetheless.   Never though of this until this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back