About $100 home headphone
Mar 13, 2006 at 8:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

marsilians

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I have been reading/searching the forums for about a week now and I have still been unable to find the info I was looking for!

I am looking for a pair of headphones that are decent for home use. Specific requirements are:
  1. They are only for home use.
  2. They will be connected to my Yahama home theater receiver and will be used when wife/kids are asleep.
  3. I mostly listen to XM satellite (rock/hip-hop/R&B/gospel/classical)
  4. I require a chord length of atleast 9 ft.
  5. Budget is around $100 US (I live in Toronto, Canada)

I am not sure about the chord length of Alessandro MS1. If it suffices then I will go for it. Or if they are replacable, even then it can be considered. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for all replies

PS. This is my first post to the forum. So apologies if my note is short on something.

Mar 13, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 25
MS1 or K240s. The AKG is open but it leaks significantly less than any of my grados.

You can always get an extension cable.

Garrett

Mar 13, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #5 of 25
The cord for the MS-1s is definitely not 9 ft, but yeah, you can always get a extension cable. Warning: the agressive nature of the MS-1s are not well suited for classical music. You might as well make a tradeoff and get a pair of Sennheisers.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
Alessandro MS1 is an open design can and will leak the sound anyway. It depends on your family how sensitive they are while sleeping.

Unless you're sharing a bed with them I can't imagine headphones (k1000's aside maybe..) bothering the household that much.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
I think there is an almost new Sony MDR-XD400 in the FS forums...I think it had a 10 foot cord or so. Might be worth reading reviews on also.

that can puzzles me... noobs rave about it, more experienced listeners trash it ??? more than any other can

Garrett

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon.
Unless you're sharing a bed with them I can't imagine headphones (k1000's aside maybe..) bothering the household that much.

Well, I think more situations arise than just sharing a bed. Moderate listening levels with open phones in the same room with others are easily heard. If they're watching TV or want quiet it will bother them. One reason I have different sets of cans. Yeah, they work best for different types of music, but also for different situations. Whether lying in bed or in the room while my family is watching TV, I use the HD 25-1s. When I'm by myself or no one cares, I'm generally using the 501s. (The Grados are for my office. The Etys for when truly innocuous portability is desired.)

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

I think there is an almost new Sony MDR-XD400 in the FS forums...I think it had a 10 foot cord or so. Might be worth reading reviews on also.

confused.gif
XD400's are nothing compare to my new A500 can.. gshan should also buy an ATH-A500. You'll notice immidiately day and night difference against your XD's.

Mar 13, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
confused.gif
XD400's are nothing compare to my new A500 can.. gshan should also buy an ATH-A500. You'll notice immidiately day and night difference against your XD's.

Interesting. I've heard light comments on the two (a500 & XD400) being similar, but it sounds like you've heard both. And yes, I will consider buying the A500s since I need a gaming headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
MS1 or K240s. The AKG is open but it leaks significantly less than any of my grados.

You can always get an extension cable.

Garrett

Thanks for your reply kramer5150. When you mention Grado above, do you also refer to the MS1?.

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Interesting. I've heard light comments on the two (a500 & XD400) being similar, but it sounds like you've heard both. And yes, I will consider buying the A500s since I need a gaming headphone
smily_headphones1.gif

A500 and XD400 are same ?
confused.gif
confused.gif
? even philips HP250 can match XD400 and can throw it's younger brothers as I experienced. I first bought XD100 then tried 300 then my friends 400 untill A500 came. It throws all XD's directly from out of the box without burning. Now I have 55 hrs on it and it's making more distance from XD's.

And would like to thank sony that he made me unsatisfied and i discover this forum. While my previous philips was damn satisfying (
eggosmile.gif
But was not better then my new discovery)

Mar 13, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 25
Thanks to all for the replies. It definitely has helped me narrow down the choices. I probably will go with one of

ATH-AD500 or AKG A 240 or Allesandro MS1.

As much as they are open, I'd still like to hear whenever my wife/kids call out for me from upstairs while I am listening downstairs. So, even if one of the phones above leaks a bit, its not that big of a deal. And I don't listen at very loud levels anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back