Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Sep 27, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 571
Wow, 7000+ posts !

My measly 4 posts? I just haven't had much to say about 'phones. I like my HD600s a lot, better than the HD650s and the unnatural-sounding HD800s. Not too crazy about my AKG K701s (Wes Phillips - you owe me $400!). Not impressed with the Grado line although I get a kick out of my little sugary SR60s. Tempted by the HIFi Man phones at a CES audition. Never heard the Audezes or the Stax 009. Spent a lot of time designing my 7119 tube headphone amp. Would like to build an amp based on the fabled Peerless TL-404 autoformers some day. That's pretty much my headphone life.

I get more thrills and chills out of my Apogee speakers. Interestingly the Divas and HD600s sound about as close as a speaker-to-headphone comparison ever has in my experience. That's a good thing with these two devices. The speakers are much more visceral and involving, and have a completely more expansive spatial presentation, as expected, but the tone colors and balance between the two devices are similar.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #47 of 571
Well, I have Eximus Dp-1 with me now. Side by side, I will say Eximus Dp-1 seems to slam harder and sounds more eager to impress, and DP-777 sounds a bit mellow in comparison. While I have no complaints in Dp-777 extension at both end, I can imagine someone looking for more slam which you are more likely to get from a more typical modern DAC. I actually enjoy this presentation more, and it allows me to listen to my music for 2-4 hours on the HD800 without feeling any listening fatigue.

On top of that, the dp-777 excels in so many other areas. The layering of sound is outstanding. As I have mentioned before, it could make my originally flat sounding red book tracks sound so 3-D and alive, something that none of the DACs I have owned so far can do. You are absolutely right about the tonality, which makes music sound so believable that you get suck into into the music easily. I think that is the "you are there" effect.

Hum... The DP-777 should be too mellow for me then :/
I already find the Eximus lacking in that department compared to the NFB-27 and Chord QuteHD :p

Darryl, if I get the HEX, would you like to switch DACs for a while? :D

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #49 of 571
I have it.
For me the better input is usb, but only with acoustic revive Usb (double cable version). I try with IUsb and audiophilleo1+purepower, but more better Usb input.
I change usb board with new version, there is no difference!

Oct 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #51 of 571
For improve the sound performance, i choose audinirvana, and better power cable. With this the sound is more solid than other setup.

Hi shun,

Great to find you here, also.

You know, I've read so many wonderful things on this thread about the DP-777 that I have to get a listen!

Wonder what a wonderful combination will be a very natural sounding headphone like the Stax Omega II Mk1 and a very natural sounding DAC.

The music will come alive in front of you! Just REAL!

I will probably end up upgrading to the AMR from the DA8 that has become the weak link, in my chain, I guess!

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #52 of 571
So?
Don't be shy Prep!
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #53 of 571
Clem,

I had a some bad luck with mine the first time around.  It got to me with a channel imbalance, I had to send it back.  It's on the way back now. Hope the second time is a charm.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #54 of 571
  Clem,

I had a some bad luck with mine the first time around.  It got to me with a channel imbalance, I had to send it back.  It's on the way back now. Hope the second time is a charm.  

Oh no... that really sucks 
frown.gif

How can such thing happen on a $4,000+ DAC? 
eek.gif

I see you have a BHSE on the way. Man you never stop 
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #57 of 571
After selling away my Eximus Dp-1 around 2 months ago, I ended up pairing the DP-777 with my O2 amp for HD800. (Did not get a new amp as my Stratus is coming in end Dec) While there was no obvious noise or distortion using the O2 amp, the O2 simply sounded flat and worse, harsh on my ears. I couldn't listen to music for more than an hour and my ears would end up fatigued for days. It was pretty miserable time and I tried ways of making music sound less harsh by getting linear power supply for my mac mini, power conditioner and a bunch of new power cords and all these while making music sound more detailed with a lower noise floor, did not solve the fatigue issue.

Until one day when I placed the new Ifi itube buffer in between the DAC and O2 amp. I couldn't believe the drastic changes it made! First, all the microdynamics came back and music suddenly became alive again. Second, everything sounded natural and analogue once more, better than when I was using the Eximus internal amp. Accurate tonality can be so difficult to achieve using HD800 while it is a piece of cake for the orthos, so you can imagine my joy when I finally heard the wonderful tonality of dp-777 again. And most important of all, music no longer sounded harsh and I was able to listen to music for hoursss. (My wife was not too pleased for the matter) To think that I actually thought of visiting a audiologist for my sore ear problem.

I originally bought the ifi tube buffer for my office set-up and I am glad that I tried it at home and it is definitely going stay there until my Stratus arrives. After spending close to $3000 over the last 2 months, I am just pleasantly surprised that a mere $300 gear gadget provides me the best returns. Another testimonial for a wonderful product from IFi with its AMR roots.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #58 of 571
After selling away my Eximus Dp-1 around 2 months ago, I ended up pairing the DP-777 with my O2 amp for HD800. (Did not get a new amp as my Stratus is coming in end Dec) While there was no obvious noise or distortion using the O2 amp, the O2 simply sounded flat and worse, harsh on my ears. I couldn't listen to music for more than an hour and my ears would end up fatigued for days. It was pretty miserable time and I tried ways of making music sound less harsh by getting linear power supply for my mac mini, power conditioner and a bunch of new power cords and all these while making music sound more detailed with a lower noise floor, did not solve the fatigue issue.

Until one day when I placed the new Ifi itube buffer in between the DAC and O2 amp. I couldn't believe the drastic changes it made! First, all the microdynamics came back and music suddenly became alive again. Second, everything sounded natural and analogue once more, better than when I was using the Eximus internal amp. Accurate tonality can be so difficult to achieve using HD800 while it is a piece of cake for the orthos, so you can imagine my joy when I finally heard the wonderful tonality of dp-777 again. And most important of all, music no longer sounded harsh and I was able to listen to music for hoursss. (My wife was not too pleased for the matter) To think that I actually thought of visiting a audiologist for my sore ear problem.

I originally bought the ifi tube buffer for my office set-up and I am glad that I tried it at home and it is definitely going stay there until my Stratus arrives. After spending close to $3000 over the last 2 months, I am just pleasantly surprised that a mere $300 gear gadget provides me the best returns. Another testimonial for a wonderful product from IFi with its AMR roots.

Mine is still in the burn in process, have not done any critical listening as of yet.  I will report back soon with some thoughts.  

Greed has joined the AMR DP-777 family as well.  He purchased one a few weeks ago.  His should have enough hours on it to give a few impressioniios.  

A few questions froger..

So with the 02 amp / the HD800s sound better with the DP-1 compared to the DP-777?  

So when you compared the two DACs before what was your setup?

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #59 of 571

Mine is still in the burn in process, have not done any critical listening as of yet.  I will report back soon with some thoughts.  

Greed has joined the AMR DP-777 family as well.  He purchased one a few weeks ago.  His should have enough hours on it to give a few impressioniios.  

A few questions froger..

So with the 02 amp / the HD800s sound better with the DP-1 compared to the DP-777?  

So when you compared the two DACs before what was your setup?

I'm interested in that as well. The DP1 still has my interest.
So you finally got your DP-777 
beerchug.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #60 of 571
Preproman, take your time and hope you enjoy the sound. Are you burning in 24/7? Will love to hear your thoughts soon too!

Yes, was chatting with Greed over PMs a few days ago and indeed he is enjoying the Dp-777. He actually prefers Dp-777 over his MSB Analog dac with GS-X MkII and HD800 and now he uses the MSB Analog for his speakers set-up instead.

I am sorry if it is confusing, I have never used the O2 amp with the Eximus dac. The comparison i just posted was between DP-777 through Eximus internal amp and Dp-777 through O2 amp. Previously when I compared Eximus dac and dp-777, it was through the Eximus internal amp and the Dp-777 was clearly better in most departments. I hope it clarifies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back