Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Sep 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #31 of 571
I should have mentioned that AMR is about to come out with a new version of the DP-777. I believe it will utilize one DAC chip instead of two separate chips and will be DSD-enabled. I am pretty sure that I was able to pick up mine at the price I got it for because the seller wanted to get the newest version. Darren told me that version 1 can be "upgraded" for about $1,000 and that he would be performing the mods personally. My take is that the DAC industry is afraid that not having a DSD capable product is a death sentence. Seems incredibly silly to me. No software, no science behind it, and speaking of practicality, the guys behind Schiit have come up with a $100 solution.

Sep 22, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #33 of 571
The Aussie distributor has mentioned some possible upgrades - new usb input, capacitor upgrade, dsd upgrade and possibly a new x2 chip dac board upgrade - but I am yet to have these offered formally.  Has anyone from here had their 777 upgraded?

I'm pretty sure that my unit has a newer usb input to others I have read about, as mine does not require power from the PC / USB port for the USB input to operate.  However I have read posts where people say power from the USB port is needed.

As for dsd, a quote from the digitalaudioreview.net's concero review sums it up for me -- "As one reader opined in the comments section of this week’s Schiit Loki news piece"...the library of available titles [at SuperHiRez.com] looks like my Aunt Virginia’s record collection (5 or 6 Norah Jones records and a bunch of 30′s to 50′s jazz)”. Ha!"

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #34 of 571
  I should have mentioned that AMR is about to come out with a new version of the DP-777. I believe it will utilize one DAC chip instead of two separate chips and will be DSD-enabled. I am pretty sure that I was able to pick up mine at the price I got it for because the seller wanted to get the newest version. Darren told me that version 1 can be "upgraded" for about $1,000 and that he would be performing the mods personally. My take is that the DAC industry is afraid that not having a DSD capable product is a death sentence. Seems incredibly silly to me. No software, no science behind it, and speaking of practicality, the guys behind Schiit have come up with a $100 solution.

ONE Dac chip? I hope they don't sacrifice the Classic DAC portion for the sake of DSD. Playing 16/44 files through the Classic DAC is part of what makes this DAC special. I did ask my local distributor on the DSD upgrade before I purchased the DP-777 and he said he had not heard anything on his side yet.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #35 of 571
  My order is placed with Darren..

Congrats Preproman! Hope you enjoy the DAC as much as I do :) Just gonna bear with the long burn-in time.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #36 of 571
  As for dsd, a quote from the digitalaudioreview.net's concero review sums it up for me -- "As one reader opined in the comments section of this week’s Schiit Loki news piece"...the library of available titles [at SuperHiRez.com] looks like my Aunt Virginia’s record collection (5 or 6 Norah Jones records and a bunch of 30′s to 50′s jazz)”. Ha!"

You must've missed Sony committing a few weeks ago to begin putting their back catalog out on DSD to support their launch of 3 new DSD players, two of which will be < $1k.

Hear that? Sony has new line of high-res audio gear

Sony is turning up the volume on high-resolution music.

The electronics company introduced a new line of products, coming this fall, that process and play a variety of high-resolution music formats, including new Direct Stream Digital (DSD) downloads.

Several music companies, including Sony, Universal and Warner, pledged to support the movement with added high-res releases. Among the artists with music preloaded on new Sony products: Miles Davis (So What), Willie Nelson (Georgia on My Mind), Aretha Franklin (Baby, I Love You) and the Beach Boys (Good Vibrations).

Newer releases from artists including Sting, John Mayer and Sheryl Crow will be among the 20 high-res tracks pre-loaded on two new Sony high-res music players due out this fall. Also coming: a digital-to-analog converter for connecting computer-based music libraries to home stereos, new high-res speakers and headphones.

Sony and the labels hope to attract consumers with downloadable music that improves on MP3 and other compressed formats. High-res downloads can surpass CD-quality sound and deliver a vinyl-like listening experience.

Definitely wait and see how quickly this will take root, but industry momentum has been building quietly for a while now, based on the grassroots support DSD has received from the boutique labels.  But with the availability of a leader like Sony putting software out there, hopefully this can tip the scales in favor of the format.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #37 of 571

You must've missed Sony committing a few weeks ago to begin putting their back catalog out on DSD to support their launch of 3 new DSD players, two of which will be < $1k.

Definitely wait and see how quickly this will take root, but industry momentum has been building quietly for a while now, based on the grassroots support DSD has received from the boutique labels.  But with the availability of a leader like Sony putting software out there, hopefully this can tip the scales in favor of the format.

Thanks for pointing that out Smeckles, I had no idea about it. Love this from the article:

Also coming: a digital-to-analog converter for connecting computer-based music libraries to home stereos, new high-res speakers and headphones.

Cheers,

gav.

Sep 25, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #38 of 571
Not really a fan of live recorded albums in general, but I must say the DP-777 has made them into something I can appreciate deeper now. The live recorded albums have never sounded so "LIVE' 
dt880smile.png

Sep 25, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #40 of 571
It takes at least 300-500 hours for the sound to sound close to what you have heard in a well burnt in set. Others have reported the Dac will continue to improve from there to 1000 hours. For the first 300 hours, it was hard to enjoy the sound, it sounded flat, dull and uninspiring. Mine has been switched on 24/7 since the first day.

Sep 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #41 of 571
Same with mine - I  first thought I had purchased a dud!  It takes a while to warm up too.. doesn't sound great cold, so you could be onto something with leaving it powered up.

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #43 of 571
I don't post much on this forum, but I wanted to add my +1 to the AMR DP-777 recommendations. Mine is probably at the 600-hour mark and still sounding better all the time! I have never heard such glorious sounding digital. Even Redbook can sound tremendous. If you are familiar with the sounds of live un-amplified strings, piano, professional singers, drums, etc., this is the one you'll want. Most other contenders (and I've heard a number of them) sound more hi-fi, but just not as real.

Head-Fi disclaimer: While I love my Sennheiser HD600 cans, I mostly listen via Apogee Diva ribbon speakers and my opinion has been more informed by the speaker sessions.

Sep 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #44 of 571
Thanks for your endorsement, Brian Beck!  I just thought it is a shame that this DAC seems overlooked in Head-fi, given the much raves it received in the speakers' world.

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #45 of 571
  I don't post much on this forum, but I wanted to add my +1 to the AMR DP-777 recommendations. Mine is probably at the 600-hour mark and still sounding better all the time! I have never heard such glorious sounding digital. Even Redbook can sound tremendous. If you are familiar with the sounds of live un-amplified strings, piano, professional singers, drums, etc., this is the one you'll want. Most other contenders (and I've heard a number of them) sound more hi-fi, but just not as real.

Head-Fi disclaimer: While I love my Sennheiser HD600 cans, I mostly listen via Apogee Diva ribbon speakers and my opinion has been more informed by the speaker sessions.

WOW Brian, only 4 post from 2004.  We need more impressions from you on this.

I auditioned it with speakers as well.  I can't wait to get it home and put it on my headphone rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back