Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Jun 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #556 of 571
  Are you rocking a DP-777 SE? I'm keen on pulling the trigger, the only other thing holding me back (aside from the fiasco that is the SE upgrade) is that the original the DP-777 (with Quad Core Upgrade) is apparently a touch too polite and doesn't quite have the dynamics along with the top and low frequency extension some of the other DAC's do in that price range exhibit. Although by all accounts the SE seems to fix all of that up according to the guys on AA.

What kind of music do you listen to mate? I listen to quite a eclectic selection of music on my speaker rig (unlike with my cans): it's pretty much 25% Jazz; 25% Female Vocal; 20% Singer Songwriter; and 30% electronica on a more chilled out tip i.e. Trip-Hop, Ambient, Lounge etc. I wonder what the SE will be like in light of that. 

I have the quad core upgraded 777... Was looking at the full upgrade however I need to put funds into other things for the time being.  Having said that the 777 was a pretty substantial purchase for me and I was happy with the original version.. My taste is towards DAC's that have tubes in them tho - like the lampi etc...

At the moment I'm listening to a Surgeon rinse fm podcast (sitting at my desk at work :wink: ) which is pretty banging techno - but my taste in music is all over the place.  Was into trip hop in my late teens and still dig a lot of the LA stuff like brainfeeder etc.. but also a fair bit of orchestral and piano stuff like Glass / Reich etc.. more on the minimal tip I guess - I have a fair bit of ambient in my collection for when I need to chill out as well :) 

Make sure you hear the 777 before you decide.. not everyone's cup of tea.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #557 of 571
In connection with an audio pc setup I was very happy with the DP 777. A really good match DAC and preamp wise.
I found out over the course of a year though that audio pc just isn't for me. Just wanted to have a simpler solution and went back to streaming.
Therefore I won't upgrade and I will even sell the unit, having no need for the DAC anymore and owning a couple of other preamps already.

Enjoy your music with this very well thought through machine, be it DP 777 or SE.

Cheers

Jul 5, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #558 of 571
Is this a good deal??? 
biggrin.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMR-DP-777-SE-DAC-preamp-Stereophile-Recommended-120V-230V-5-500-MSRP-/121679111785?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c54a3e669

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #559 of 571
Hi guys,
strange things happen in regard to the SE.
There isn´t hardly any hint on the AMR page about the SE and on the web too.
I was expecting tons of exhilarating reviews by now, but nothing really happens any more.

Cheers
Kai

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #560 of 571
Hi guys,
strange things happen in regard to the SE.
There isn´t hardly any hint on the AMR page about the SE and on the web too.
I was expecting tons of exhilarating reviews by now, but nothing really happens any more.

Cheers
Kai

I think it is that the key personnel have been so busy with the development and of course there is also the pace of the iFI developments.

Anyhow here you go from my own experience with both the AMR-DP-777 and DP-777 Special Edition posted elsewhere.

"Well just reached 100 hours on the 777 Special Edition. The following remarks can be referenced against the AMR 777, which I still have here. The first things that struck me after initial switch on was frequency continuity. What I mean is balance throughout the spectrum.....nothing emphasised over any other part. As it happened there was a symbol strike almost immediately on switch on and that was clearly more audible and rich as against the 777. The other words I wrote were energy, dynamics, attack, speed, agility, timing and timbre. The representation of depth is improved, as is placement within it.

The soundstage is very stable. The clarity is remarkable. Instruments and vocals just appear from a black background. Clearly significant advancement has been made in reducing noise. For example piano right hand notes just materialise and play into space, and timbre is spot on. . There is better conveyance of space and presence in live recordings. Because of all these factors there is no feeling that the soundstage is being constrained by the system.

I do not find that the frequency extremes, which AMR have given particular attention to in their informational releases, draw adverse attention to themselves. On the contrary, the top end is very sweet, but open, and the bass plays tunes well, without being in any way bloated, and always at the same time remaining in place.

Overall there is improvement in detail retrieval, and nuance, which adds to involvement and enjoyment.

Musicality is typically AMR. Similar in that respect to the 777, but in my view execution is better.

AMR recommend 300-500 hours breakin, so there may be further refinements to come."

AND.....

"Well I'm on 175 hours now. Perhaps the sound has 'relaxed' a little more, which is nice. I spent the whole morning listening to Bing Crosby while I was in different parts of the house and it sounded great. I never tired of listening to him. While having breakfast in the livingroom, next to where the system is in the lounge, I was caught up in it....nodding and tapping my feet. Musicians back then majored on timing, rhythm, and vocalists in diction. The AMR DP-777SE and AMR AM-777 captured all that. While upstairs I would stop what I was doing and come to the head of the stairs to listen. It was only reluctantly turned off at lunchtime because my wife wanted to watch tv in the livingroom. During all that time I was not distracted by any discordancy.

I was listening to Stephane Grappelli yesterday and the violin, together with the piano accompaniment sounded really beautiful. The violin was smooth and rich with no hint of digital harshness.

Overall the elements that strike me in comparison to the DP-777 Standard are the improvements in the internal spaces in the soundstage, it's more 3D nature, and the airiness of the top end. It is easier to appreciate the spacial positions of players. Rim shots, cowbells, triangles and the like just pop from a black background.

Violins have a nicer sheen and accuracy. Piano notes have a faster rise time and as a result have a more percussive character when required. The dynamics of the piano are better reproduced. Runs on the piano are well balanced from top to bottom. The top note ending with space around it. Very convincing.

I have since tried the pre amp in the DP-777 Special Edition. I don't know if it, as an entity in its own right, is recommended to have the same 300-500 hours breakin as the dac. I used it for only about 45 hours and I went back to using the pre amp in my AMR AM-777 amp, trading the somewhat more weighty, but more forward and slightly less open representation for the contrary one of the integrated. I liked the timbres and fast free flowing nature of the integrated. That said, in a comparison of several top dacs on another forum, in which the DP-777 Special Edition was preferred, the Special Edition's pre was also preferred to a top stand alone pre amp actually owned by several of the evaluators, which had a recommended retail price of $16,500. Both of these pre amps are in the top echelon clearly."

Hope these comments are of some value and are an upto date assessment of my own experience.

Aug 5, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #562 of 571
I'm assuming the listening was done with redbook files.  Did they improve the hi res playback any?

All my listening so far has been done with RedBook files, as you surmised. The source is Qobuz CD Quality offline. I create a Ramdisc in my hard memory and download the files I want to listen too each session to that. I then switch off wifi in the Mac Mini. Before listening I use the Amarra optimisation scripts. This procedure produces superior sound quality to live streaming.

When I was a young man I had formal classical violin lessons to grade five, often accompanied on the piano. As I type this I am listening to "The People Who Lives on the Hill" , from "The Reunion". Stephane Grappelli and George Shearing on the piano, with upright bass and drums. Truly I am captivated.

I will try the hires of course, but I am having too much fun at the moment :tongue_smile: I am staying with RedBook during the evaluation/comparison phase with my previous DP-777, as that is what gives me the best foundation, and no question at 195 hours the Special Edition is in another league. Honestly with this level of RedBook reproduction I feel no urge for hires.

Aug 10, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #563 of 571
I'm at 210 hours breakin now of the AMR DP-777 Special Edition. I decided to focus specifically on the bass reproduction by playing Ossur Johannesen "Solo Bass Guitar" Alternative & Indie on the Tutl label. This is a magnificent recording of bass guitar. If you want to know your system as regards bass get this.

My B&W 805S speakers go deep for a relatively small speaker and sound generally much bigger than many floor standers. They produce audible output down to 37Hz.

Well I have to say that I have never heard my system produce bass of this quality before. It's stygian deep, right to the limits of the speakers at the very least. It's not just the depth though. It is the most musical bass I have experienced, and never bloated. The musicianship is laid bare to be appreciated. Every bent note and nuance is followed beautifully. I use Dirac Live Room Correction which effectively takes the room nodes and suckouts out of the equation.

To be honest I never knew that my system was capable to produce the notes I am hearing, and in such an attention enticing way. My AMR AM-777 amplifier has stepped up to the mark in a way I did not appreciate possible until now.

I would go so far as to say that if you try the AMR DP-777 Special Edition, and you don't like the bass, look to the rest of your system or the recording, because I can only conclude it is not the dac's fault based on my personal experince. Do pay special attention to installation of the whole system, because everything matters when it comes to that, and let your ears be the judge.

Aug 11, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #564 of 571
I'm at 210 hours breakin now of the AMR DP-777 Special Edition. I decided to focus specifically on the bass reproduction by playing Ossur Johannesen "Solo Bass Guitar" Alternative & Indie on the Tutl label. This is a magnificent recording of bass guitar. If you want to know your system as regards bass get this.

My B&W 805S speakers go deep for a relatively small speaker and sound generally much bigger than many floor standers. They produce audible output down to 37Hz.

Well I have to say that I have never heard my system produce bass of this quality before. It's stygian deep, right to the limits of the speakers at the very least. It's not just the depth though. It is the most musical bass I have experienced, and never bloated. The musicianship is laid bare to be appreciated. Every bent note and nuance is followed beautifully. I use Dirac Live Room Correction which effectively takes the room nodes and suckouts out of the equation.

To be honest I never knew that my system was capable to produce the notes I am hearing, and in such an attention enticing way. My AMR AM-777 amplifier has stepped up to the mark in a way I did not appreciate possible until now.

I would go so far as to say that if you try the AMR DP-777 Special Edition, and you don't like the bass, look to the rest of your system or the recording, because I can only conclude it is not the dac's fault based on my personal experince. Do pay special attention to installation of the whole system, because everything matters when it comes to that, and let your ears be the judge.

Sounds like a keeper… For the record which other DAC’s have you had or compared it to?

Aug 11, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #565 of 571

Sounds like a keeper… For the record which other DAC’s have you had or compared it to?

With regards to dacs I have owned. The first was a M2tech Young dac/Palmer battery PSU, and of course the AMR-777 just prior to the Special Edition. Immediately prior to converting to computer based audio I had two different models of Primare CD players as sources, and previously owned Meridian CD player and analog sources such as Linn Sondek LP12 with arms such as Grace and Ittok. Cartridges were Supex and Asak. All the rage then. I have been involved with hifi since the late 1970's and my remarks with specific regard to the bass are not limited solely to dacs and I cannot recall being so impressed in the past.

Aug 11, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #567 of 571
With regards to dacs I have owned. The first was a M2tech Young dac/Palmer battery PSU, and of course the AMR-777 just prior to the Special Edition. Immediately prior to converting to computer based audio I had two different models of Primare CD players as sources, and previously owned Meridian CD player and analog sources such as Linn Sondek LP12 with arms such as Grace and Ittok. Cartridges were Supex and Asak. All the rage then. I have been involved with hifi since the late 1970's and my remarks with specific regard to the bass are not limited solely to dacs and I cannot recall being so impressed in the past.

Thanx for your reply! I have in fact heard some Primares: CD21 and 30 and didn’t like them very much. The CD 30 sounded like my old S.A.T. CDFIX, and its sound was kind of flat, gray and boring. The Meridians (at least the 800 series) sounds way better, but is too pricy IMO.

I actually had the AMR-777 SE on my short list together with Ayon CD5s, Linn Klimax Renew DS/1 and Aesthetix Pandora. Never got a change to hear the AMR-777 SE and frankly got kind of (how can I put it) distrustful then no impressions was published and also one SE turned up direct on the second hand market here in Sweden. Nevertheless glad to hear that you enjoy it and that it’s a step up from the original AMR-777, which many consider a really good DAC already.  

If I have understand it correct the caps in the SE will take many hours to burn in, 500 or something. Also the tubes that comes with many audio gear can often be changed for something better IME. Have you tried any good NOS tubes in your DAC?   

Lol I don’t know then I started with HIFI, it kind of depend on what the threshold for HIFI is. I bought my first stereo with separate gears 87. It was an Ariston RD-40 turntable, Marantz pre and power amplifier and a pair of Rauna Ymer concrete speakers and the cables where from Van Den Hul.

Aug 16, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #568 of 571

Thanx for your reply! I have in fact heard some Primares: CD21 and 30 and didn’t like them very much. The CD 30 sounded like my old S.A.T. CDFIX, and its sound was kind of flat, gray and boring. The Meridians (at least the 800 series) sounds way better, but is too pricy IMO.

I actually had the AMR-777 SE on my short list together with Ayon CD5s, Linn Klimax Renew DS/1 and Aesthetix Pandora. Never got a change to hear the AMR-777 SE and frankly got kind of (how can I put it) distrustful then no impressions was published and also one SE turned up direct on the second hand market here in Sweden. Nevertheless glad to hear that you enjoy it and that it’s a step up from the original AMR-777, which many consider a really good DAC already.  

If I have understand it correct the caps in the SE will take many hours to burn in, 500 or something. Also the tubes that comes with many audio gear can often be changed for something better IME. Have you tried any good NOS tubes in your DAC?   

Lol I don’t know then I started with HIFI, it kind of depend on what the threshold for HIFI is. I bought my first stereo with separate gears 87. It was an Ariston RD-40 turntable, Marantz pre and power amplifier and a pair of Rauna Ymer concrete speakers and the cables where from Van Den Hul.

You are nearly in this game as long as me :beerchug: I think it was the 30.1 and 30.2 I had. I'm gone hazy now about what came after the decimal. I bought the first one used from a dealer and went back later and traded for the 30.2, which was new. Obviously I quite liked the Primares. Probably be still using it except I wanted to try computer audio.

There are certain Albums I played a lot back when I had the Linn Sondek and the Ittok/Asak combination. The amp was a Naim pre/250 amp. That system gave me a lot of satisfaction. It was very strong on rhythm, and an overall sound I remember very well. Such an Album is Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. I played that with the DP-777SE the other day and for the first time since going digital I got the same level of excitement, only I don't recall the earlier system having that level of detail, soundstage, black background and musicality.

AMR don't support tube rolling and it voids warranty. To be quite honest I have no desire. Those that have tried have found that it did not produce better results.

Aug 22, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #570 of 571
Will order one in black!

Like the warm, weighty , velvet but at the same time transient fast sounding DAC

Since we've both been talking about the Chord DAVE, how to compare the DP-777 SE to the DAVE? You DID get the Special Edition model, yes, or did you not pick up the AMR at all? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back