Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Mar 10, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #406 of 571

Just to clarify, are you saying that the same album in 44/16 and 96/24 will always sound better in 44/16?

I'll most certainly report my findings here. My heart wants the 777, but the 6Moons review of the Scala II was rather positive too. Should be a good mini dac-off :¬)

As I wrote, LaScala MKII is a great device to have. Yet, it's exactly on the same shelf as DP-777. I'm leaning towards version, that those two are very comparable SQ wise. Not in the sense of tonal balance, smoothness, airness etc., obviously different DAC-s are onboard and so on, but refinement overall. Honestly I'd be more than surprised if one was much better than the other. But those two should be compared, no doubt about it. Obviously DP-777 has some advantages, like pre-amplifier stage, which is said to be very good. There are some people that use this brick for that particular function alone. Ain't that something? And device from AMR does DSD, and I know many people that like analogue sound of that format A LOT. So between Aqua HiFi and AMR it comes down not only to sound, but functionality as well. At least to some degree.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #407 of 571
  If I'm not wrong the La Scala II use the same DAC chips (4 - PCM 1704K but less) as the Master 7 (8 - PCM 1704UK).  That's if the K and the UK are the same?    Of course the circuit and implementations are different.  

Master 7:  http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN.htm

La Scala mkII:  http://www.aquahifi.com/la_scala.html

But how about the La Voice S2:  http://www.aquahifi.com/la_voce.html#prettyPhoto

This one looks the most interesting to me.  Looks like if (I'm reading it correctly) you can choose what DAC chip you want between the 
PCM1704-K (2), TDA1541A - R2R 16 bit / 96 kHz or the Analog Devices AD1865 - R2R 18 bit / 192 kHz.  No tubes..

Which one is the newest?

My interest in the Scala was piqued by the 6Moons review; BM award for sounding analogue. Never been drawn to AGD.

The AMR77SE is my primary target, although the Yggdrasil does indeed have some pull. Although anything Schiit does on this forum it seems.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #408 of 571

As I wrote, LaScala MKII is a great device to have. Yet, it's exactly on the same shelf as DP-777. I'm leaning towards version, that those two are very comparable SQ wise. Not in the sense of tonal balance, smoothness, airness etc., obviously different DAC-s are onboard and so on, but refinement overall. Honestly I'd be more than surprised if one was much better than the other. But those two should be compared, no doubt about it. Obviously DP-777 has some advantages, like pre-amplifier stage, which is said to be very good. There are some people that use this brick for that particular function alone. Ain't that something? And device from AMR does DSD, and I know many people that like analogue sound of that format A LOT. So between Aqua HiFi and AMR it comes down not only to sound, but functionality as well. At least to some degree.

The preamp fucntionality is a big bonus. It will play nicely with the Burson Timekeeper and KEF LS50s (not that they get much use now the Abyss is here to stay).

I have a feeling the 777SE is going to be victorious, considering how much praise the 'old' model has.

Had no idea people used it only as a preamp. Some people have some serious cash :¬)

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #409 of 571

The preamp functionality is a big bonus... Had no idea people used it only as a preamp. 

I have used the '777 as both a DAC and as a line-stage. I have run my phono stage (ARC SP-10 MkII) through the line-stage section of the '777. It works very well and the remote is very convenient. However, the line stage offers zero voltage gain. Probably just a cathode-follower after the switched attenuator. Sometimes it is useful to have 10 to 20 dB of gain in the line stage to adjust for different cartridges/step-ups/RIAA stages. I can't complain, though, because I bought the '777 for the DAC. The line stage almost comes along as a bonus.

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #410 of 571
Hey you guys,
has anbody actually listened to  an AMR DP 777 SE yet? Or even compared it with the "old" one?
Everybody seems to be really excited about getting one and a bunch of people are already ordering the SE, but I cannot find anything on the net about somebody who has actually listened to one yet.
I am asking for a couple of friends of mine who own the "old" model and are anxious as teenager before the FIRST time to finally get the SE upgrade.
It seems though that AMR are not even shipping the upgrade sets yet - aren´t they?

Cheers
Kai

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #411 of 571
  Hey you guys,
has anbody actually listened to  an AMR DP 777 SE yet? Or even compared it with the "old" one?
Everybody seems to be really excited about getting one and a bunch of people are already ordering the SE, but I cannot find anything on the net about somebody who has actually listened to one yet.
I am asking for a couple of friends of mine who own the "old" model and are anxious as teenager before the FIRST time to finally get the SE upgrade.
It seems though that AMR are not even shipping the upgrade sets yet - aren´t they?

Cheers
Kai

I've not read/seen any reports of an audition of the SE.

Mar 10, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #412 of 571

Cheers
Kai

I'm not sure where in the world you live, but here in the US the SE upgrade kits have become available recently. I ordered mine today on blind (deaf?) faith. These cost about $1500 installed by the US distributor, with a 6-month warranty. I opted for installing my own. The user-installed kit costs $1095, but doesn't include the 6-month additional warranty. I told them that I am a very experienced EE and could do it myself. The kit is static-sensitive and requires knowledge and care in handling. They may, or may not, sell user-installed kits to everyone - I do not know. The mod is very extensive, essentially replacing the entire guts with new electronics, they tell me.

I will keep you all posted about how the installation proceeds, and, of course, how it sounds to my ears in my system (mostly through my speakers).

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #413 of 571

I'm not sure where in the world you live, but here in the US the SE upgrade kits have become available recently. I ordered mine today on blind (deaf?) faith. These cost about $1500 installed by the US distributor, with a 6-month warranty. I opted for installing my own. The user-installed kit costs $1095, but doesn't include the 6-month additional warranty. I told them that I am a very experienced EE and could do it myself. The kit is static-sensitive and requires knowledge and care in handling. They may, or may not, sell user-installed kits to everyone - I do not know. The mod is very extensive, essentially replacing the entire guts with new electronics, they tell me.

I will keep you all posted about how the installation proceeds, and, of course, how it sounds to my ears in my system (mostly through my speakers).

Fantastic. Would love to see some photos of the process too :¬)

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #415 of 571
  More internal shots of the Lampi Big 7...

Clicky

That is actually almost no longer looking as a Lampi as they used to be. :)

I would want to see a pic of what's underneath the big blue board. I have a feeling a lot of real estate could be hidden there.

Mar 10, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #416 of 571

That is actually almost no longer looking as a Lampi as they used to be. :)

I would want to see a pic of what's underneath the big blue board. I have a feeling a lot of real estate could be hidden there.

I wondered that too. But internal layout aside, and after reading a *lot* about it, I've yet to find anyone anything less than blown away by it, no matter what they compare it to (including MSB Platinum stack).

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #417 of 571
A couple of persons on this forum, some of whom I trust, were not as impressed. I would like to hear one of these new ones myself, but I don't personally get the DSD hype. I will read more to see if it makes more sense.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #418 of 571
A couple of persons on this forum, some of whom I trust, were not as impressed. I would like to hear one of these new ones myself, but I don't personally get the DSD hype. I will read more to see if it makes more sense.

Many were talking of normal Redbook stuff. Only a handful were referencing DSD etc.

Which version did they audition?

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #419 of 571
I was looking at the article linked above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back