Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Mar 9, 2015 at 6:22 AM Post #376 of 571
  I had a Lampi G4 L4 in house for a few weeks along with the AMR and a few others Master 7 and PWD mk2.  The Lampi was the less resolving of the bunch.  It was also with most forgiving, it had a greyish background and the bass was not as tight as the PWD2 or the AMR.. In fact to my ears the AMR beat the L4 G4 in all areas more bite up top mids was on par with each other the LAmpi had some hum where the AMR was dead silent.

The L7 is getting up there in price where I would look at other DACs in that price range.  IMO DAC should be compared by price range who cares about different topology, there DACs they do D to A conversion.  I'm trying to stay under the 5K mark....

The MSB Analog is even more resolving and has even more bite than the AMR. Look out for second hand units if you can!

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #377 of 571

The MSB Analog is even more resolving and has even more bite than the AMR. Look out for second hand units if you can!

Naw - I've heard from many others who sold their MSB in favor of the AMR - Just as you did the opposite.  Plus a person on here told me the Analog DAC is not worth the money - he now has the Diamond DAC.

I have a feeling the AMR SE will be an even better product for the money.  I hate the way MSB make you pay for add ons.  They lost me right there. Plus I don't like buying bottom of the line equitment.  Just like the Lampizator - too many models to choose from and the most afforable one is the bottom of the line.  

AMR is giving you their TOTL DAC with the ability to upgrade / improve that same TOTL DAC.  This way you will never have the second best or the entry level of what they offer.

Mar 9, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #378 of 571

the way MSB make you pay for add ons.  They lost me right there. Plus I don't like buying bottom of the line equitment.  Just like the Lampizator - too many models to choose from and the most afforable one is the bottom of the line.  

MSB pricing input/output add-ons, that are standard for most products in the market, is a very lame practice. That is one reason I am seriously considering not buying anything from them, out of principle.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:17 AM Post #379 of 571
https://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-amr-dp777se-new-in-box-black-one-of-the-first-in-the-us-2015-03-07-digital-12583-tivoli-ny

eek.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:01 AM Post #380 of 571

Aqua Audio LaScala MKII is a beast. I had it for reviewing purposes for a couple of weeks, and it is incredible sounding brick. Even with stock tubes. I don't think that Yggdrasil is propper rival to DP-777 or SE version. Different topology all the way. Yet, for AMR brick LaScala MKII is the correct rival in my book. And LAmpizat0r. I have Level7 with WE101D-L replicas and, personally, that's the best sound I've heard thus far from a DAC. Period.

Lampizator L7 is the best I've heard as well. My friend with the 21k MSB stack also feels the same.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #381 of 571
  I had a Lampi G4 L4 in house for a few weeks along with the AMR and a few others Master 7 and PWD mk2.  The Lampi was the less resolving of the bunch.  It was also with most forgiving, it had a greyish background and the bass was not as tight as the PWD2 or the AMR.. In fact to my ears the AMR beat the L4 G4 in all areas more bite up top mids was on par with each other the LAmpi had some hum where the AMR was dead silent.

The L7 is getting up there in price where I would look at other DACs in that price range.  IMO DAC should be compared by price range who cares about different topology, there DACs they do D to A conversion.  I'm trying to stay under the 5K mark....

I had the L4, L5, L7, Master 7 and the AMR in house. Two my ears the L4 was outclassed in some areas like staging and extension in the highs by the AMR, but the L4 had a more full and natural sound. The L5 outclassed both in most areas. After hearing the L7 the M7 and AMR no longer cut it for me, in comparison they were flat and lifeless. The Lampi's don't come off as the most resolving DACs yet they bring out certain ambient cues/details that bring the music to life better than any of the others I've heard. 

I'm really hoping the SE Update will take the DP-777 to a level I can be happy with and cure my Lampi itch. Avatar supposedly got the kits in and have begun doing the installs. I'm expecting to have mine back around the first week of April.

Mar 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM Post #382 of 571

I had the L4, L5, L7, Master 7 and the AMR in house. Two my ears the L4 was outclassed in some areas like staging and extension in the highs by the AMR, but the L4 had a more full and natural sound. The L5 outclassed both in most areas. After hearing the L7 the M7 and AMR no longer cut it for me, in comparison they were flat and lifeless. The Lampi's don't come off as the most resolving DACs yet they bring out certain ambient cues/details that bring the music to life better than any of the others I've heard. 

I'm really hoping the SE Update will take the DP-777 to a level I can be happy with and cure my Lampi itch. Avatar supposedly got the kits in and have begun doing the installs. I'm expecting to have mine back around the first week of April.

Thanks, that's some kit you had to play with! Will be very interested to hear your thoughts once the 777 comes back to you upgraded.

Finding myself more and more tempted by the Big 7. Fingers crossed the SE hits a similar level you found with the Lampi :¬)

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #383 of 571
Yeah the only one I had a chance to listen to was the L4 G4.  The L7 is up there in price, close to the 10K mark, but I think you can get them around 8K I'm guessing.  

The L4 G4 didn't really do it for me.  I'm sure as you go up they get better and better.  The build Q on the lampi leaves me wanting.  I'm thinking the AMR is about it for me and tubes in DACs. So if the SE can really hit home I'll be good.  

Keeps us posted Craig..

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #384 of 571
Just placed a pre-order for the SE :¬)

Should have stock in 10-15 days.

Not the biggest fan of the Rag. Might give the Moon HA430 a pop.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #386 of 571
Either of two things; (A) The Conductor punches above its weight, or (B) The Rag doesn't play nice with the Hugo.

Essentially (after longer testing), I was expecting more from the Rag in terms of sound upgrades. Yes, it was better, but not I can't live without this gear better (which I get with the Abyss). Saying that, the Rag was a loaner unit and someone I trust also had this unit and was similarly unimpressed; perhaps it was duff. 

It was paired with the Hugo (which I also returned). The Rag with the AMR may be a different beast, of course. I think Purrin ranks the Rag as his favourite Abyss amp.

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #387 of 571

Lampizator L7 is the best I've heard as well. My friend with the 21k MSB stack also feels the same.

About that, that's true for me too. I have "old" L7, last unit made by Łukasz Fikus in pure point-to-pont manner, two box design. It goes along with WE101D-L replicas. And yes, it delivers as hell. That's the best DAC I've heard thus far, period. And I've heard MANY. DirectStreamDAC, Vega or LaScala MKII to name a few. Not all at the same time, but in short time periods between them. Yes, I find every one mentioned here to be exceptional, but L7 is stunning. That kind of dynamics, openess and spaciousness is beyond everything I've heard thus far. On top of that it has that organic and lifelike presentation I really enjoy. No thinness or sharpness at all. L7 is also the most brutal device for weak recordings I know. Yet, what has to be mentioned is that my L7 is actually two devices in one main box. I've ordered separate DSD engine with no silicone in its path form Łukasz, and that particular PCB does the difference. Some say that DSD is needed etc., well... no. Everything I listen to these days is converted to DSD via software, just in order to be pushed through DSD module and not PCM one. PCM is a half measure in case of that DAC, difference is easily audible. I had L4 about two years ago and it sounded nice. But L7 and Big7 is completly another level. 

But, to be honest, I'm waiting for DP-777SE as well. It looks like very good brick to have, tubes + d/a conversion is my kind of thing. I hope that it'll end up in my rack one day for evaluation. Besides it's not a secret that Łukasz Fikus learned many things from Thorsten Loesch. So yeah, that alone is for me more than enough to jump onto DP-777SE wagon and see what's going on.      

Mar 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #388 of 571

The L4 G4 didn't really do it for me.  I'm sure as you go up they get better and better.  The build Q on the lampi leaves me wanting.  I'm thinking the AMR is about it for me and tubes in DACs. So if the SE can really hit home I'll be good.  

What, do you imply there would be anything wrong with this? 
rolleyes.gif

Or the stuff at post #2470:
http://www.audiostereo.pl/lampizator-dsd-dac_111628.html/page__st__2460#entry3408215

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #389 of 571

What, do you imply there would be anything wrong with this? 
rolleyes.gif

Or the stuff at post #2470:
http://www.audiostereo.pl/lampizator-dsd-dac_111628.html/page__st__2460#entry3408215

Wrong, those are old versions. For a couple of months all (including Amber) units have more PCB's than point-to-point soldering. I encourage you to look here:

http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/BIG_7.html
Originally Posted by preproman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a feeling the AMR SE will be an even better product for the money.  I hate the way MSB make you pay for add ons.  They lost me right there. Plus I don't like buying bottom of the line equitment.  Just like the Lampizator - too many models to choose from and the most afforable one is the bottom of the line.  

Lampizator makes only few models, and based on what your transport is you pick one, and then some upgrades if you like. I see nothing wrong with that. But in order to be more accurate, I've heard Amber as well, in very basic version, with no upgrades at all. That's 1400 Euros I believe. And that thing performs like a champ as well. It's beyond me how DAC based on ES9023K2M PCB from DIYINHK sounds that good. But to hear it is to believe it. 

Here's more info, review made by me, in polish unfortunately: http://blog.pclab.pl/violator/LampizatOr.Amber-recenzja.Oczywi%C5%9Bcie.%C5%BCe.si%C4%99.da,508 

Let me put it this way: if I had to pick one thing to change in Lampizator family, chasis would be it. Seriously I would, because I'm crazy about fancy looks as well. But again, to hear it is to believe it, and my Level7 performs so good, that honestly at this point I don't care about how it looks and what's inside. And I know exactly what's under the hood, I've seen it. Not a pretty sight for some eyes, agreed, but in case of that particular device and me... I couldn't care less. It's a love affair
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #390 of 571

Wrong, those are old versions. For a couple of months all (including Amber) units have more PCB's than point-to-point soldering. I encourage you to look here:

I am not sure if this was meant to prove something, or trying to have a laugh. Hopefully all existing owners since before "couple of months ago" are having a free upgrade, however much that means.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back