Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Jun 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #301 of 571

The DP-777 has a reset process.

Here are the instructions from the manual:

3.7 Factory Reset
Whilst holding the “>” and the “+” buttons on the front panel and then powering up the DP-777 via the Mains Power Switch (rear panel) until the countdown commences will reset the DP-777 to the default factory settings.

preproman - I noticed "Welborne Labs LPS" in your signature. Can you point me to a product page, or describe exactly what this is?

Jun 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #302 of 571

3.7 Factory Reset
Whilst holding the “>” and the “+” buttons on the front panel and then powering up the DP-777 via the Mains Power Switch (rear panel) until the countdown commences will reset the DP-777 to the default factory settings.

preproman - I noticed "Welborne Labs LPS" in your signature. Can you point me to a product page, or describe exactly what this is?

While I was lucky enough to get both of my LPS from Welborne Labs.  They have less than good reviews.  I read all the negitive reviews after I purchased them.  However, they have great products.

At this point I recommend Red Wine Audio and Core Audio.

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #304 of 571
Anyone compared the AMR against a Lampizator L4 or L5? Any thoughts on these two DACs?

I have, will PM you with my thoughts on the three.

Jun 4, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #305 of 571
Anyone compared the AMR against a Lampizator L4 or L5? Any thoughts on these two DACs?

I've compared the Lampi L4 G4 with the AMD-D777.  The Lampi had used (CuTF V-Caps) the AMR used (Duelund VSF Black Cast Caps).

I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me use his Lampizator G4 L4 (CuTF V-Caps) for the past month while he went on a business trip.

First off, I only consider 2 of these DACs musical (AMR DP-777 and the Lampi G4 L4).  Again, I don’t mean that syrupy thick bass sound or those dark characteristics that most people seem to think. By musical, I mean these DACs really “bring the music to life” they have a sense of emotion and realness that I love.

I enjoy the PWD mk2 for its bass quantity and impact; I enjoyed the Master 7 for its transparency and balanced tone.  The AMR does not give me that bass impact of the PWD mk2 but the transparency and correct tone is there. So yes the bass on the PWD mk2 was big, but not as tight, accurate, or as realistic as the other DACs.

One of our fellow Head-Fi members calls the Master 7 lifeless.  I didn’t know what the heck he was talking about until I heard the Audio Note, Lampi G4 L4, and the AMR.  These DACs allowed me to understand exactly what he was talking about; the Master 7 renders music with no soul.  These DACs bring the music to life so to speak.

While I do like the PWD mk2 soundstage better than that of the Master 7 (Compared to the other DACs the M7's soundstage lack depth), the soundstage of the AMR and Lampi was noticeably more 3D like, wider and deeper. The imaging of the PWD mk2 while good was outdone as well. The AMR has the ability to pinpoint instruments in a three dimensional field better than any DAC I’ve heard with the exception of that Audio Note DAC. The AMR and Lampi both present a more holographic and wholesome soundstage with more dynamic vocals. The lead singer's voice sounds more natural versus the more glaring/etched presentation of the PWD mk2. There's a slight bit of funny stuff going on in the treble region of the PWD mk2 that’s not there on the other DACs.

The PWD mk2 has a more "fun" sound in the bass area, has great dynamics, and hits hard but it just doesn't do much for me with the midrange and female vocals compared to the AMR or Lampi. The PWD mk2 and Master 7 has less of that midrange magic I like.
Instruments like kick drums and upright bass have a more detailed timbre on both the Lampi and AMR; they have a great combination of attack and natural decay.  There’s sort of a heft to the notes that’s missing on the Master 7. The AMR and Lampi have a nice punchy feeling to them; also the texture is better and they’re more natural and realistic sounding.  

I found the AMR and Lampi to be more musically satisfying with very little compromise in micro detail and no compromise at all in imaging or bass texture, pretty impressive. The AMR and Lampi are definitely more involving.  The PWD mk2 and Master 7 had a flat presentation, which in turn seemed to lack the emotion and soul of the other DACs.

The AMR, Master 7 and the Lampi sound less digital compared to the PWD mk2. The AMR and Master 7 has a completely black background where the PWD mk2 and the Lampi has a slight grayness in the background and only the PWD mk2 has an occasional hint of digital glare that I didn’t hear with the other DACs.  The Lampi while sounding very analog like has a slight noise floor.   While the Master 7 sound less digital compared to the PWD mk2, both sound less musical compared to the AMR and Lampi.

First impressions of the Lampi was how it's remarkably similar to the AMR, but with less sparkle in the upper registers. Vocals are as magical as on the AMR, both have a way of embracing you with the singer's voice.  So the biggest advantage the AMR has over the Lampi is it renders the highs and treble better to my ears, has more sparkle.  The AMR also does female vocals better, giving them more dynamics that heightens the engagement factor – I attribute that to the difference in CAPs (CuTF V-Caps for the Lampi and Duelund VSF Black Cast Capacitors for the Lampi).  Another advantage the other DACs have over the Lampi is build quality.  The Lampi looks like a DIY DAC.  Heck My DIY amps made by YBM and SWA were better. So the other DACs beat the Lampi in that area by miles, no question.

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #307 of 571
I've compared the Lampi L4...

Thanks preproman, very informative post and nice written comparison.

The price of a L4 is similar to the AMR and they seem to share similar qualities. I should probably find a way to listen to the Lampi on a home demo, but I won'be able to compare it against the AMR. Toss a coin? :D

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #308 of 571
For you folks in the US: I spoke to Darren Censullo, AMR's US distributor today. He said the availability of  the DP-777 upgrade is now projected for late this month (June). He had heard that the last issue to be resolved had something to do with the silver leads on the new ebony-encased output caps. Once that's settled, they will ship kits to him. He gave me an estimated price which I will not quote because it seemed tentative, but it is likely to be south of $1000. A pretty decent price for what seems to be a rather extensive modification.

He mentioned that the iFi part of the AMR product line is really booming!

Jun 4, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #309 of 571

3.7 Factory Reset

Thanks for your help! I followed the instructions and its working now, but I'm puzzled how this issue is occurring and nervous it will happen again.

Jun 5, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #311 of 571
The USB implemtation in the DP-777 is one of the best I've heard to date.  I for one have not heard any difference in USB cables, I know others have.  The USB implentation is very stable.  

I have not heard any of the other ports thus far.  

Thanks. I think that might be the case. There should be a difference between the USB and SPDIF outputs though because the latter is tubed while the former is not. I have not AB tested with different USB cables but I can say that despite feeding the AMR by a noisy USB signal from my laptop there is zero noise and the background is black.

Although I love the AMR one cannot help but marvel at how well the Emotiva (with proper USB implementation/ audiophelleo) holds up to it despite being a fraction of the price. I guess we are really paying for the last 1% of performance.

Jun 5, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #312 of 571
  For you folks in the US: I spoke to Darren Censullo, AMR's US distributor today. He said the availability of  the DP-777 upgrade is now projected for late this month (June). He had heard that the last issue to be resolved had something to do with the silver leads on the new ebony-encased output caps. Once that's settled, they will ship kits to him. He gave me an estimated price which I will not quote because it seemed tentative, but it is likely to be south of $1000. A pretty decent price for what seems to be a rather extensive modification.

He mentioned that the iFi part of the AMR product line is really booming!

Thanks Brian for giving us this insight news! I guess the upgrade should be available worldwide so also here in Europe. Estimated price is also fairly decent, hope it will be confirmed. 
From what I've seen and heard at the Monaco Hi End the iFi product line is impressive and I guess some interesting solutions developed for iFi are to be adopted also in the AMR product line (DSD, etc.).

No wonder the iFi is booming they have really impressive products for the price and very nice marketing and communication strategy.

Jun 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #313 of 571
Hello Folks

Any Server2012/AudiophileOptimizer Users participating in this thread? Does DP-777 offer Kernel Streaming and if yes does it run in core mode? I'm really tempted to order a DP-777 SE once available! :)

Best,
Phil

Jul 1, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #315 of 571
Hey Gavtron

But does it also offer a Kernel-Streaming Driver, and if so does it work in core mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back