Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
May 10, 2014 at 3:38 AM Post #273 of 571
Another DP-777 for sale in my town - at a bargain price.

Have any DP-777 owners upgraded and found their upgraded DAC beat DP-777 by miles? Seriously considering DP-777 if it will beat most contenders. 

May 10, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #274 of 571
Get it.

Worth every penny, at bargain prices even more so. If it was in Europe I'd get myself a second one, just because I like it so much.

No news on the upgrade front, seems like.... Should have been April, but then...they didn't say which year.:D

May 10, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #275 of 571
  Another DP-777 for sale in my town - at a bargain price.

Have any DP-777 owners upgraded and found their upgraded DAC beat DP-777 by miles? Seriously considering DP-777 if it will beat most contenders. 

IMO it's in a different league than the Emo from the very brief listen I had with the Stealth DC-1.

May 10, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #276 of 571
No news on the upgrade front, seems like.... Should have been April, but then...they didn't say which year.:D

I spoke to Darren Censullo, the US distributor of AMR, at the AXPONA show a couple of weeks ago. He told me that the DP-777 upgrade should be available very soon, in May. I assume he meant 2014 but I didn't press him :wink:

I asked him again if it would be available to DIY'ers as a kit for installation at home, and he reiterated that it should be, as long as a person can solder. I, for one, would not want to be without my beloved DAC for even a few days!

May 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #277 of 571
Gosh I am so close to pulling the trigger. I am eyeing TWO local sales of DP-777s.

Has anyone compared the 777s with a top end Esoteric DAC, etc? Would it lose much of the resolution of say the Benchmark DAC2 HGC?

May 10, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #278 of 571
Gosh I am so close to pulling the trigger. I am eyeing TWO local sales of DP-777s.

Has anyone compared the 777s with a top end Esoteric DAC, etc? Would it lose much of the resolution of say the Benchmark DAC2 HGC?

Let me tell you what I think. In my eyes DP-777 isn't too much detail oriented, but very musical (in vast understanding what musicality is) DAC to have. Therefore I'd pair it with detail oriented loudspeakers and headphones, and that's I'm going to do in two or three weeks, since I own HD 800 and KEF LS50. OK, I also have LCD-2, but my guess is that with CMA800R and DP-777, my HD 800 will perform much better than those Audeze's. Hence, it's all about synergy in my book. And IF I had to guess, my guess is that Benchmark brick is more detailed than DP-777, dunno about Esoteric.

May 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #279 of 571
I would have subscribed to this just a few weeks ago. But not anymore. With a better source there are details abundant with this DAC, while keeping its strong musicality and tonality.

It's all there with MQn. This DAC or any other for that matter will play in a different league with a good Software player.

No garbage in, delicious food out.

May 12, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #281 of 571
  I have the upgraded model.  It's far better than the original.

So tell us more about it!
I am very impatient even though I am going to the Munich Hi End and listen to it!

Did you make the upgrade yourself? You have also the DSD?

May 12, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #282 of 571
  So tell us more about it!
I am very impatient even though I am going to the Munich Hi End and listen to it!

Did you make the upgrade yourself? You have also the DSD?

I think I put some comments in this thread already - but there are a lot more on Stereonet (aussie forum) The upgrade was released here before the US..

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57435-amr-dp-777-dac-upgrade/

The distributor swapped the board for me - no DSD, personally I don't have any DSD files so unless DSD becomes mainstream I wont bother.  I even down sample PCM hi res (one of the functions of the 777) so that it plays on the "classic dac" rather than the his res dac as it sounds better to my ears :)  Apparently the caps + tubes should be released as an upgrade in Aus soon.

Cheers,

gav.

May 12, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #283 of 571
  I think I put some comments in this thread already - but there are a lot more on Stereonet (aussie forum) The upgrade was released here before the US..

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/57435-amr-dp-777-dac-upgrade/

The distributor swapped the board for me - no DSD, personally I don't have any DSD files so unless DSD becomes mainstream I wont bother.  I even down sample PCM hi res (one of the functions of the 777) so that it plays on the "classic dac" rather than the his res dac as it sounds better to my ears :)  Apparently the caps + tubes should be released as an upgrade in Aus soon.

Cheers,

gav.

Thank you gav. After long listening section and comparing Hi-res files versus CD's quality I usuallly prefer the CD maybe because of the "classic dac"! In fact you gave me a nice idea to play all files with the bit-perfect II filter.

DSD is said to be - and heard myself - a different story than Hi-res PCM, combining the best of both worlds. Something for the future indeed, due to lack of available files!

I believe AMR at the Monaco Hi-end will have on show the full SE version which should have the new Quad Core Digital Engine, NOS GE 5670 Tubes, and "Ultra Premium" coupling capacitors (maybe even DSD) all in one package. 

Well I just have to wait 4 more days to find out...

Cheers

May 20, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #284 of 571
I went to the Monaco Hi End to listen to the new DP-777 SE and just looked at it! According to AMR the SE version is not ready yet and will be available soon. So disappointed.
We need to wait a little bit longer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back