Abbingdon Music Research DP-777 Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #481 of 571
  The owner reviews and the professional reviews are well on their way. 

Is that so?
How do you know?

As I stated before, normally the fanboys burn to tell the world about their new gear.
So I would expect that if anybody out there really has already gotten the SE, either as upgrade kit or as a completely new machine, he/they would have written at length about the smallest differences to the "old" version.
So far it remains an unobtainium or there are no detectable differences to the old model and people are just sitting at home crying about that fact.

Cheers
Kai

Mar 22, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #482 of 571
Your comments are somewhat unfounded as the SE version hasn't been released in the UK yet, so speculating about the units sonics seems very churlish to me.

Is that so?
How do you know?

As I stated before, normally the fanboys burn to tell the world about their new gear.
So I would expect that if anybody out there really has already gotten the SE, either as upgrade kit or as a completely new machine, he/they would have written at length about the smallest differences to the "old" version.
So far it remains an unobtainium or there are no detectable differences to the old model and people are just sitting at home crying about that fact.

Cheers
Kai

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #483 of 571
  Is that so?
How do you know?

Cheers
Kai

How do I know..  From past history, that's how.  Every product will in fact have some type of impression or review.  The fact that you haven't seen any here just goes to show there are none.    If you think AMR does not want a professional review, well I'm sorry you think that.  

Such a negative speculation to say "people are just sitting at home crying about that fact".  Just sounds like yet another Troll.

Be sure to be here on this thread in the up coming months (Don't know for sure how many months), now that we know the kits are in and the new SEs are about to sell.  Then ask that question.    Not saying all impressions will be good, and not saying they will be bad - but you can bet your bottom dollar there will be some..

Mar 22, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #484 of 571
Sorry to burst bubbles… Several 100% deposits were taken, for both new SEs & SE upgrades… not sure who retained the deposit in all cases… highly doubtful a dealer would feel comfortable retaining one for over a year… 'do the math'...

If the definition of a troll is someone stirring s%*t up, w/o ever hearing said item, either at a show, in a showroom, or in their own system… I'm a troll, haha...

otoh, if a person sincerely has an interest in hearing/buying said device… hence reading & reading about it & is simply asking & answering questions…. pretty sure that's called a future educated buyer in the best case or a tire kicker in the worst case, haha !

If someone is super happy w/ their current model/version & may never upgrade… hint, hint… that's cool… (it's NOT cool to promise to post pics of SUPER rare caps inside their 777 though, hint, hint, hint)

If one is "perfectly happy w/ my current DP", then why even comment about the SE anyway...

Side track comments about reviews 'being in the works' is immaterial to the lack of timely SE upgrades… If someone were truly going to be putting out a new model SE review… what a 'slap in the face' that would be to patient people who have paid to be in the queue for several months… just wow..

David

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #485 of 571

If the definition of a troll is someone stirring s%*t up, w/o ever hearing said item, either at a show, in a showroom, or in their own system… I'm a troll, haha...

David

Ding, Ding, Ding....  Bingo.  You hit it spot on...  My point exactly.  

Bubble Burst proof lol... Quoting myself:

"The US distributor (Avatar) "to my knowledge" has not took anyones money before hand.   If he did I'm not aware of it.  The very few people I know did not send their money in first."  

Be more specific in your claim as I have of what I'm aware of..   Like what dealer, What country.  Something....

Here you go:  There are two caps - one for each channel.  

Now back to the regularly scheduled program.  

I had a conversation with Darren about the Caps - Duelunds vs. Tri Core Silver:  So per Darren, I hope I got this right.

The Tri Core is going to be more linear where the Dueunds are going to be more full sounding and have perceived more bass.  The Tri Core is going to be more tight in the bass which may make them more lean sounding.  The Tri Core should sound more accurate.  

So it seems like he's pushing the Tri Cores over the Duelunds.  The Duelunds belong to me so I will have both.  I will get the Tri Core installed first.  If I don't like the bass, I will send the DAC back to Darren to have him switch the caps.  He said he's banking I won't send it back in for a replacement.

The I may try the sell the Duelunds if I like the Tri Cores.  Looks like a lot of critical listening ahead...

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #486 of 571
Darryl-  

Congrats !  You have now (finally !!!) posted the sexiest DP-777 internal pics ever seen !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong… my understanding is very few CD-77s (not 777), let alone any DP-777s (besides yours) were ever (officially) optioned w/ Duelunds !  You must be an 'inside' guy, haha !  

Of course I'm assuming your caps were 'factory' installed...

Thanks for the description of the 'Tri Core Silver' caps vs your caps !  Very helpful…  As you said.. "he's pushing the Tri Cores over the Duelunds"…. duh, haha !  Besides… don't think Duelunds are an available option anyway...

"Ding, ding, ding"…. since you're not the bookkeeper, ask if full deposits were taken, 'inside' guy, haha….  I don't '____ & tell'… guaranteed, I'm correct-

Unfortunately the only way to compare, is to have two broken in SEs, side by side… sorry, memory doesn't suffice, haha… Only way a true 'fanboy' should do it, 'worth his salt'

David

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #487 of 571
Ha ha ha..  Man.... David you are a trip..  

Yeah the bad thing is we will not have the chance to have both the DP-777 and the DP-777SE side by side.  I'm not really expecting a big night and day difference anyway.  

I'm getting the upgrade because it's an upgrade.  If I can hear a difference without the other one present then that would be great...  I'm trying now to understand just how the bass sounds and keep it in my mind..

The caps was an optional upgrade for the stock DP-777, I'm not sure about the SE..

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #488 of 571
  Yeah the bad thing is we will not have the chance to have both the DP-777 and the DP-777SE side by side.  I'm not really expecting a big night and day difference anyway.  

You will not?
Even though I´m called a Troll here (obviously by individuals who are getting all agitated about the not-delivered-yet SE/kit), I will have the chance.
And guess what, I will even write about it comes the time.
Cheers
Kai

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #489 of 571
The only "two" people that seems agitated about this whole thing is umm  - well you know..  

Good that someone will do a side by side with the old and the new.  Heck I'm more interested in that before sending my unit in..  Bring on the side by side...  

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:15 AM Post #490 of 571
  Bring on the side by side...  

I certainly will, but as you may have realized by now: It could take a while before that will happen, since the dealer keeps saying " the upgrade kit has been ordered".
wink_face.gif

Whatever that will mean in regard to when it will be delivered.

Cheers
Kai

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #492 of 571
No, I don´t .
I´ve had one for testing for a week and came to the conclusion that in some regards it is "better" than my Wadia 861 SE (there it is again....the SE) but in others it isn´t. So I kept the Wadia.
I´m doing this "by proxy" for two good friends of mine who each have a DP 777, since I am a little more fluent in the use of the English language.
One of them is waiting for the upgrade to arrive and to be installed.
His machine is at the dealer for quite a while (~ two months) since it made strange Klicks. Instead of replacing the old board with an old board, my friend suggested putting in the SE board. It went back an forth with the dealer and the status for almost four weeks remains "upgrade being ordered".
So I started looking for anything on the SE, but nothing came up other than "faith, hope and charity". So I thought I might push it a little.
If he will finally be getting his machine back, we will meet at the other friend´s  and audition both machines side by side.
And since all three of us own the same speakers it will be rather easy for each one of us to dtect any differences.

Cheers
Kai

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #493 of 571
  No, I don´t .
I´ve had one for testing for a week and came to the conclusion that in some regards it is "better" than my Wadia 861 SE (there it is again....the SE) but in others it isn´t. So I kept the Wadia.
I´m doing this "by proxy" for two good friends of mine who each have a DP 777, since I am a little more fluent in the use of the English language.
One of them is waiting for the upgrade to arrive and to be installed.
His machine is at the dealer for quite a while (~ two months) since it made strange Klicks. Instead of replacing the old board with an old board, my friend suggested putting in the SE board. It went back an forth with the dealer and the status for almost four weeks remains "upgrade being ordered".
So I started looking for anything on the SE, but nothing came up other than "faith, hope and charity". So I thought I might push it a little.
If he will finally be getting his machine back, we will meet at the other friend´s  and audition both machines side by side.
And since all three of us own the same speakers it will be rather easy for each one of us to dtect any differences.

Cheers
Kai

Looking forward to that comparison. Especially as multiple ears will be listening.

I suggest you start with a blind A/B. Two listen, one changes the dac (rotate the people). 

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #494 of 571
I received my SE upgrade kit about a week and a half ago (in the US). All three major cards were replaced: the large motherboard, the DAC daughterboard and the XMOS USB daughterboard. Only the display board and button board on the front panel remain untouched. Three new tubes were shipped, two JAN 5670 tubes with pin adapters, and a new 6N11 for the digital inputs. You have to move the old copper tube shields to the new tubes. Adhesive foam damping blocks on the bottom of the motherboard must be moved to the new motherboards without damaging the adhesive layer. I have seen pictures of a gold-colored "Signature Edition" badge for the front panel, but mine came with none.

Another poster mentioned that the first batch of upgrade kits to the US (Avatar) came with damage. This is what I also heard from Avatar. My kit was supposedly shipped from a second batch that passed visual inspection. Still, I was somewhat dismayed at what I deemed to be rather skimpy shipping protection inside the box (see below). These really should be double-boxed. This is not a project for a newbie! While it's not terribly hard for an experienced electronics person such as I consider myself, it is tedious and requires painstaking care to avoid damaging something. One must also know how to handle static-sensitive parts and be properly equipped for ESD. I use a grounded anti-static workbench mat and a grounded wrist strap. The motherboard supports the weight of the two large transformers on one edge, and must be held correctly (by the transformers) to avoid flexural damage. Once in the chassis, the board is well supported. The 777 is beautifully made from a mechanical perspective, but the disassembly requires removing perhaps 50 or 75 fasteners to extricate the motherboard. The motherboard itself is screwed down to the damped bottom plate with 20 Allen screws. Very nice, but time-consuming to service. I would suggest that most people should have their distributors do the installation. If nothing else this will avoid finger-pointing if something doesn't work.

I wish I could give you my complete report, but my experience is incomplete so far. The new XMOS USB board was dead on arrival. Darren shipped me another USB card, but it doesn't work either. The new cards are not recognized by either a Windows XP machine or by a Windows 7 machine. I tried reloading the latest AMR driver, but the cards are still not recognized on either PC. So I used my original 777 USB card in the new motherboard, and it works fine! I sent an email about this over the weekend to Avatar and to Vince Luke at AMR Central, and I'm awaiting their response about the next step. Also, digital input #3 doesn't work. I'm not sure if this will be an issue for me because there are other digital inputs, but still it's an aggravation to a perfectionist. Both Tri-Core output capacitors were quite wobbly, probably due to shipping impacts (see video clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLmvFtJZv0Y). There was only a thin (`3/8") foam layer between the tops of these caps and the box. It wouldn't take much of a shock to damage these caps. They measured OK at 5.2uF or so on the motherboard, but they were just quite loose. So I put some dabs of hot glue at the seam between the caps' cases and motherboard to lock down the caps. That seemed to work. I hope there is no latent damage that will cause failure down the road (the DIY kit is not protected by a warranty - ahem). There was talk of ebony wood with regard to these caps, and maybe there is ebony hidden deep inside, but my caps' rectangular cases appear to made of good old black plastic.

Now to some more positive results: Even though the electronics are not yet broken-in and I'm forced to use the original XMOS USB card, the sound quality is quite nice. The first word that sprang to my mind was "incisive". Transients and details are slightly more defined, but, at least so far in my auditioning, without etch or artifice. I think bass is tighter and deeper, and I sense a greater feeling of air up on top. These results are tentative because I have few hours on the upgrade so far. I need more listening time with a greater variety of music tracks and data rates, and the electronics need more time to break-in. Plus, I need a working USB card!

I took copious pictures as I went along, and I will post them after I get closure on this USB problem. I will keep you posted on that issue, as well as on the sound.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #495 of 571
That sounds like a lot of work. Thanks for the report.

Good luck with the USB issue and I look forward to some sound insights once you have it at full SE level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back