AAW Capri Balanced Lightning Audio Cable, with Type-C variant
Apr 16, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #46 of 212
Does Capri cable have an amp and DAC ? If so do we know what types?

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #47 of 212
Does Capri cable have an amp and DAC ? If so do we know what types?

Yes - it has to as the iPhone only outputs digital from the Lightning port. The difference between using the Lightning to 3.5mm adapter and your stock IEM cable is obviously it turns two cables into one, and like the bundled Earpods on the iPhone you have the mic/physical volume controls.

Worth noting AAW have gone through the application and approval process for MFi which means the product is officially recognised and compatible with Apple iOS products, so there should be zero issues with iOS updates. There is an AAW Capri app you have to download which (when the cable is connected) will deliver firmware updates when they're made available.

Here are the specs (LAM = Lightning Audio Module I think) from the crowd-funding page.

Spec_grande.png

All I can see regarding the DAC is that it supports 24-bit Hi-Res Playback but that's of no interest to me.

Apr 21, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #49 of 212
Latest update:

Dear Backers!

To ensure Capri's absolute quality and durability, we have engineered a multi-tester to ensure Capri's PCBA is in its prime condition going into assembly. It tests Capri's digital signal integrity, microphone, button function, audio playback and even writes bootloader into its ROM at the same time!

ufsl577hgrcswzhxwkgx.png

jthplu7ekqvv50ritk0g.png

Quote:
Next we will perform testing on Capri's cables and we are getting real close to mass production!

AAW Team

May 9, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #50 of 212
Dear Backers,

We are heading into the final assembly of the Capri and first batch of 2Pin version is expected to be ready by this weekend.

Final version of the metallic Lightning connector cover

tp3wghwvfznfkqzec2xx.jpg
Molded 2Pin connector with cable fresh off the injection machines!

oahdfujlwa8zlgaejvth.jpg

Lightning Cables individually packed before laser wielding to EMI shielding

rksqxbnfcm6hr7p0ztok.jpg

We will make further updates as we approach shipping date, we appreciate all your continuous support!

AAW Team

May 26, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #52 of 212
Shipping Starts!
We have completed shipping Capri 2Pin 1.2M variation, and other variation such as MMCX and 1.5m versions will started shipping in 1~2 weeks time as well. Type-C software is in final stage of testing, we will post separate updates about it.

Starting today you will receive email notifications from NASTECH, our fulfillment partner, stating your tracking number and links to track your package. Please do keep a tab on the status of your package and contact us if encounter any difficulties.

We have also started shipping 2Pin 1.2m to bulk backers and distributors. Let's get the ball rolling!

icol2qbvrwchkey3p42u.jpg

qkmtmb237k7vklizoikz.jpg

No email for me yet, although I backed it quite late so I'm probably pretty far down the queue.

May 26, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #53 of 212
No email for me yet, although I backed it quite late so I'm probably pretty far down the queue.
Any thoughts on how much better it would be over the apple 3.5mm - lightning dongle.

I'm hesitant due to the memory wire

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #54 of 212
I'll tell you when I get it, although performance was only half the reason I backed it; the other was simply to have a tidier connection between IEM and phone since mine have a right-angle connection and it looks awful plugged into the dongle, it sticks out of my pocket and gets caught on things. I don't trust it to last either so the Capri seemed liked a good shout, plus it gives me the mic/volume controls back.

May 27, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #55 of 212
I'm so tempted for the convenience of it. Price is still very good as well

Also not sure of the mmcx connector's angle for use my CA Lyra II ?

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #57 of 212
I'm in Singapore so probably among the first to receive it (last Friday).

Initial impression, tidy piece of kit although packaging scream "Made In China" and really cheap. Haven't encounter these kind of packaging for long time.

Back onto the cable itself, well made with good fit and finish. I ordered 2-pin version and noticed that there's no strain relief on the 2-pin plug itself. Hopefully it last. The 2-pin plug is connected to a nice mounded ear clip which I personally like. Cable is covered with cloth from control module up to the Lightning jack. Control module is quite big but lightweight. Buttons are embossed so you can recognize the function without looking. Nice tactile feeling too. Unfortunately, again, the AAW logo on the 3.5mm jack scream cheap yet again. I guess they cut few corners for the founder batch?

Onto the sound, I didn't notice any significant change compared to current Fiio cable paired with UM Mage. It sound slightly clearer with bigger soundstage. Perhaps brighter? Hiss is noticibly louder compared to previous Fiio when used with iPhone 6s.

Overall, good alternative if you want to pair your favorite 2-pin/mmcx earphone with iPhone 7 without additional dongle.

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #58 of 212
Got mine too. I'll post some pics at the weekend.

Pleased with it and I THINK there's an improvement to the dongle although it's not really something I can A/B easily. The hiss when you turn the screen on, which seems to come and go (due to CPU activity?) is annoying though - something that could be fixed through a firmware update (esp as the Apple dongle was silent)? Out and about with music playing it's not an issue but I imagine I might find it annoying listening to quiet stuff in a low-noise environment.

Jun 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #60 of 212
Got mine too. I'll post some pics at the weekend.

Pleased with it and I THINK there's an improvement to the dongle although it's not really something I can A/B easily. The hiss when you turn the screen on, which seems to come and go (due to CPU activity?) is annoying though - something that could be fixed through a firmware update (esp as the Apple dongle was silent)? Out and about with music playing it's not an issue but I imagine I might find it annoying listening to quiet stuff in a low-noise environment.

I got a Lightning Capri cable, definitely have a bit of hiss on this. Maybe it could be due to manufacturing issues?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back