AAW A3H Pro V2 Review (w/ V1 review)
Jun 6, 2017 at 7:33 AM Post #47 of 63
Welp... AAW just came back to me and confirmed that the A3Hv2 unit I received is not defective and in full working order.

Currently in the midst of fleshing a review out but TL;DR: the original V1 unit gets my recommendation, but not the V2.

Jun 6, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #48 of 63
Some preliminary graphs:

AAW A3H-Pro V2 custom
fr.png

AAW A3H-Pro V2 demo
CXWNAXK.png

V2 vs V1 (V2 yellow, V1 green)
output.png

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #49 of 63
Currently awaiting my order for the a3h pro v2. Has anyone faced issues testing the demo's in stores? im not sure if its me, when i demo the unit in different stores (etc: null audio, jaben) they sound different. what do you think? last time i tried it at jaben it had a polarity issue

Jun 18, 2017 at 5:40 AM Post #50 of 63
Currently awaiting my order for the a3h pro v2. Has anyone faced issues testing the demo's in stores? im not sure if its me, when i demo the unit in different stores (etc: null audio, jaben) they sound different. what do you think? last time i tried it at jaben it had a polarity issue

The previous demo unit at Jaben Singapore store was damaged, most likely due to being connected to a very high powered source(desktop amp?) It has blown out BA drivers on both sides, new replacement is already there. Do visit them and try again:)

Jun 18, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #51 of 63
Welp... AAW just came back to me and confirmed that the A3Hv2 unit I received is not defective and in full working order.

Currently in the midst of fleshing a review out but TL;DR: the original V1 unit gets my recommendation, but not the V2.

Oh right, almost forgot to update this thread.

Yeah so, apparently the A3Hv2 unit I received is defective, according to the engineers at AAW. I... I'm not going to question it. Here's to giving the V2 one more chance at life.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:28 AM Post #52 of 63
Oh right, almost forgot to update this thread.

Yeah so, apparently the A3Hv2 unit I received is defective, according to the engineers at AAW. I... I'm not going to question it. Here's to giving the V2 one more chance at life.

Hello could you explain why you felt it is defective? I have just received the A3H and wondering if you could advise on how to check.

Secondly is it alright to have some driver flex for one ear or does it warrant a return? I asked the staff at jaben and they told me it is normal to have. I am a little skeptical since one side doesn't have it.

Jun 23, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #53 of 63
Hello could you explain why you felt it is defective? I have just received the A3H and wondering if you could advise on how to check.

Secondly is it alright to have some driver flex for one ear or does it warrant a return? I asked the staff at jaben and they told me it is normal to have. I am a little skeptical since one side doesn't have it.

Well it was the engineers who thought my unit had defects. On my side however, I measured proper channel matching and normal operating parameters, but since they said it was and was already rectifying issues I'll just give them the benefit of the doubt and give AAW one more chance for the V2.

Driver flex is a finnicky thing to have and would be common for hybrid IEMs due to their dynamic driver, but I wouldn't call it "normal". My old A3H didn't have flex, my current W900 didn't have flex, but my old W500 had really bad flex and the A3Hv2 I received had minor (but still existing) flex. If it's bad enough where you still get crinkling sounds even with the IEMs seated in your ear, do send it back for repairs. That was how bad the flex was on my W500.

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #54 of 63
Just received my A3H v2 unit. Currently listening and measuring them but initial impressions are positive. Definitely a lot different (and better) from the weirdness I received the first round.

Jun 30, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #57 of 63
To my ears the V2 sound like baby W900 more than the W500

Switching back-and-forth with the W900 the past hour I'm inclined to agree, but only with the proper definition of "baby" and not the Head-Fi definition that is "exact same performance at a lower price".

Just to be clear from the start the A3Hv2 is nowhere close to the W900, and I'm sure no one would fault it for being so. The W900 has better bass definition, better balance, better texturing, better treble control, better staging etc. etc. etc...

What the A3Hv2 is, is a baby W900. The identifying characteristics and traits are mostly there (slightly boosted low end, neutral-ish midrange, laid-back treble) and has even managed to somewhat replicate the out-of-your-head imaging that the W900 presents. Diving into the details though, it's clear that the W900 is still very much a whole different animal in every sense, further accentuated by the similarities. I mean, entry-level versus summit-fi. Not a fair fight.

I'll be working on a full review soon, but I'm enjoying the A3Hv2 now. Doesn't sound like very high praise, but I'd say it is considering that my ears have been "tainted" by some of the best gear in the industry.

Aug 2, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #59 of 63
Got my A3H Pro v2 CIEM. I'm liking it very much so far. Very balanced sound signature and slightly warmer in a good way. Has good extension in the bass/sub-bass and also is punchy when called for. Doesn't interfere with the mids. No bleeding and not bloated. The vocals are very clear and doesn't get overshadowed by the lows & highs. The treble has good extension and isn't overly bright. It definitely has some sparkle. Not much airy at the top. The sound stage wider than average and helps in good separation. Definitely stands well against IEMs/CIEMs $1000 and below. And the massdrop price was insanely low. Even at the full retail price, it has excellent price/performance. I haven't listened to W900 but can easily see how much more refined it would be compared to A3H Pro v2 as W900 is the flagship TOTL offering from AAW.

AAW folks can take immense pride with what they've accomplished with A3H Pro v2.

Aug 31, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #60 of 63
Welp, finally decided to release the review that's been in the refrigerator since receiving complaints of weird demo units floating around. The first posts of the thread have been updated to show the V2 review.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aaw-a3h-pro-v2-review-w-v1-review.820565/

TL;DR: another great showing by AAW. Would definitely consider it as one of the best customs under the $500 mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back