AAAAWWWW YYYYEEEAAAHHH!
Dec 10, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #31 of 123

Quote:
why i need an expensive source and amp all that added to the fact that the hd 650 by itself is NOT CHEAP!!!!
why cant it sound good out of the box like the dr dre beats??? and most importantly, why head-fis hate dr dre beats!!!?
is it some kind of eltist behavior to hate it because it is popular and "mainstream"????

Welcome to Head Fi.  This has been a mystery for a very long time.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #32 of 123
Depends if you want solid state or tube amps. 

The O2 amplifier by Nwav is probably one of the better lower priced amplifier. It measures well and can drive many high impedance headphone. You can drop him an email to ask him questions or search for the keywords "O2 amplifier Nwav" on Google. It'll set you back about US$120 pre-made (mod pls don't ban :y) and much cheaper if you want to DIY it. I have a Little Dot 2+ amplifier w/ Mullard pre-amp tubes and it sounds great. Quite cheap too. But to power the HD650, you might want to look higher up the Little Dot series since the 1+ and 2+ can't power high impedance headphones. Some may feel that pairing warm sounding tube amplifiers with the already warm HD650 will make the sound too warm/mellow. It's all up to you though.

You can plug your HD650 into some stereo receivers (surely one of your relatives have this at home, by their TV sets) too, to get a feel of what the HD650 sounds like when driven properly. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #33 of 123
Two things. 

1. Getting used to a drastically new sound signature can take a little time. I wouldn't totally write them off yet.

2. Not every sound signature clicks with everyone. The 650 are great, but not everyone likes them. You might consider trying to go audition some other headphones (D2000, Grado 325, etc.) to see how they sound to your ears. 

As others have said, you can always sell the 650s (or return them), and try something new. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #34 of 123

Quote:
am not sure about all this sound signature business. i want to try it on a proper amp tho but i dont think anyone i know have amps.
am not sure if i can judge it based on crappy ipod source and the e7 
confused.gif

what i look in a headphone is details and being loud without any distortion. something suited for classical music,
and based on most reviews, you cant go wrong with the hd650, but it looks like my setup is not enough tho..

so, besides the e9, any other good amps i should know about?

Sorry about your bad experience but you did (through no fault of your own), start off on the worst foot you possibly could've. The source is actually okay. It's the unamped thing that's killing your HD650. Besides the E9, Schiit Asgard will do with the HD650, depending on your budget, there's a lot more. And for classical... you can go wrong with the HD650. They're detailed but don't accentuate the detail nearly as much as something like the Beyer DT880 or AKG K702. But if the an iPod is all you have to play music with, you're going down the wrong path completely. It's time to go IEMs or at least the portable headphones route. Taking your HD650 in public is a terrible idea.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #37 of 123
People are missing one important detail, OP wants prominent bass, just doesn't know how to state it. That is why he doesn't like the HD650 as much as the Beats. Trust me on this. He needs to be eased in with an audiophile bassy can.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #39 of 123

Quote:
maybe try a headphone the is detailed that doesnt need to be amped such as the shure 840 or 940.I love mine out of the my reciever ,on the computer or on my ipod.

Why not just wear a radar dish on your head :p

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #40 of 123
I'm willing to bet OP will like Denon D2000 driven from an iPod more than HD650 on a dedicated source. It seems to me he just doesn't like the Sennheiser signature. HD650 is a very warm and romantic headphone yet mellow and sleepy at times.

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #41 of 123

Quote:
People are missing one important detail, OP wants prominent bass, just doesn't know how to state it. That is why he doesn't like the HD650 as much as the Beats. Trust me on this. He needs to be eased in with an audiophile bassy can.

well sure. a strong bass is a huge plus on my book but i always will take detailed highs and mids over boomy bass.
unless there is a jack of all trades headphone out there.. 
basshead.gif

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #43 of 123

Quote:
well sure. a strong bass is a huge plus on my book but i always will take detailed highs and mids over boomy bass.
unless there is a jack of all trades headphone out there.. 
basshead.gif

That statement directly contradicts your original statement, even when the HD650s are being driven out of an iPod/phone, they're still more detailed than the Beats by far.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #45 of 123
i defintly recommend the d2000 it seems to have the bass you want but it will somewat lack in the mids if you really want the mids then the dh 5000 is the way to go but that is really pricey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back