a900 vs cd3000 ?
Apr 30, 2004 at 9:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

buendia

New Head-Fier
Have you heard/compared? Esp. at low bass? Which cans can play louder without distortion? To the levels similar to those in real life?

I love this place.
lambda.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 12
I'll leave this one for those who have heard both sets of cans (I've only heard the CD3000's) but I think it is fair to say that any decent pair of headphones that costs $100 or more (and some that cost far less) should exhibit very little distortion even at high volumes. Perhaps there is some other attribute that your are trying to describe rather than distortion?
confused.gif

May 1, 2004 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 12
Both are exciting cans to listen to, and both play loudly with deep impacting bass. The A900 sound isn't as refined as the CD3000. The A900 delivers 80% of what the CD3000 does. To me the A900 is the better value at $190-200. However, if your willing to pay $150-200 more for the extra edge that the CD3000 gives you, you probably won't regret it.

May 1, 2004 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 12
I've got both. The A900's were first and I loved them. After reading all of the comments about the cd3000's, I decided to give them a try. Both are great headphones, but for me the cd3000's are more detailed and have a three dimensional quality that I love. I still use the A900's occasionally with my iPod but they don't get a whole lot of use. The Sony's are used every day. Both headphones will handle more volume than I can stand without any significant distortion.

May 1, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 12
If you want a loud headphone, that sounds also decent, not very comfy IMO, and very efficient, go for the unfamous MDR-V700DJ, capable of 3000mW per channel, you will be deaf before hearing any distortion on those for sure.....

May 8, 2004 at 11:28 AM Post #7 of 12
Thank you guys for your posts. It looks like CD3k is the answer in this thread.
Detail - hmmm, I like it. But what about high listening volumes ? Isn`t it a little bit too bright? Or it it`s just the matter of source and amplification/individual ear?

May 8, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #8 of 12
Brightness is a personal preference. Some people like it bright (like me) and others like it dark (not like me).

Amplification is sort of important. Usually amplification helps enhance overall atmosphere the headphone generates - usually making the headphone sound more dynamic and fuller.

I highly doubt that the CD3K will have a loudness problem. The higher end sony headphones that I have tried so far usually don't distort so easily like their street style headphones. However, headphones that don't distort at high volume may lead to hearing damage. Many people judge loudness with distortion.

May 8, 2004 at 12:45 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by buendia
Thank you guys for your posts. It looks like CD3k is the answer in this thread.
Detail - hmmm, I like it. But what about high listening volumes ? Isn`t it a little bit too bright? Or it it`s just the matter of source and amplification/individual ear?

I'm rather sensitive to brightness and too much treble energy which is also why I sold my Sony Cd 3000.
And you probably won't know if you like the sound signature only by audtioning them once or twice.

After I had the Sonys for about a week the treble energy on the Sonys became very fatiguing, especially on vocals.

They might still fit your bill though, just wasn't for me.

Jul 2, 2004 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I'm rather sensitive to brightness and too much treble energy which is also why I sold my Sony Cd 3000.
And you probably won't know if you like the sound signature only by audtioning them once or twice.

After I had the Sonys for about a week the treble energy on the Sonys became very fatiguing, especially on vocals.

They might still fit your bill though, just wasn't for me.

How does the brightness of the CD3K compare to that of the MDR-7506 / V6?

Before getting the HD580s, I thought the 7506's were somewhat fatiguing (maybe b/c of brightness). But even being intended for monitor use and all, I'd say they were more exciting/engaging/whatever with rock music than the 580s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back