A900, SR225,... done!...?
Jul 29, 2004 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

slug

100+ Head-Fier
Well it didn't take me that long to get here but I have had my Grado SR225's for a couple months now and my Audio Technica A900's for a little over a week and it dawned on me that I am completely satisfied. I mostly run either of the headphones out of my ipod with a go-vibe as an amp, but sometimes I use them out of my computers soundcard or my toshiba 3950. With any combination I am happy with how all of my music sounds. I may not have the greatest 'phones or sources but I don't think I want to spends thousands more to gain an unproportionate amount of fidelity.

I would really like to thank everyone here for the great info on pretty much every aspect of the headphone hobby. I'm still going to read the forums and not go anywhere... though it would probably be better for my wallet!... something in the back of my head is telling me I need ety's
etysmile.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #4 of 19
For real, do yourself a favor and ask Jude to ban you from the forum. It's for your own good
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:16 AM Post #5 of 19
I might just wish a good luck to your wallet......

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 19
hmm let's see - a pair of open cans, a pair of closed. YOU NEED CANALS.
a comp source, a porta source, a home CD source. umm...you need...VINYL.
a go vibe. hmm. you need...A HOME AMP. preferrably TUBE. ROLLED.

the hunt never ends...by the way you are further along than me. i still need closed cans and a home cd source to catch up to you. maybe if I can fix up an incoming D-25, that will be my home source...for now...

Jul 29, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 19
How big of a difference does the Go-Vibe make with your SR-225's? Mine just arrived this morning, and so far, I love the sound of them just as they are. Do you think the difference the Go-Vibe makes would be large enough to justify me spending another $100, even though I'm just getting into this sort of thing, and don't have a whole lot of spare change just lying around underneath the sofa cushions? If the difference is one of those subtile audiophile sort of things, I think I can accept that I'm not QUITE getting the full potential out of my cans, and go un-amped for a while more, but if it's a pretty big difference, I might just bite the bullet and get myself one.

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 19
Don't listen to the rest of these jokers... you need to upgrade. There's nothing wrong with getting better and more expensive things, until you lose your house, your car, any chance of getting with a woman...

The search for audio perfection is worth it.
orphsmile.gif

Now, about those etys...

Jul 29, 2004 at 12:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voidoid-Surreal
How big of a difference does the Go-Vibe make with your SR-225's?

fwiw, i noticed a huge difference in the bass department of my ms-2s now that my Classic has arrived. it really does leap at me now.
basshead.gif

i previously was using them unamped out from my 1212m.

Jul 29, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
in a good way, adhoc ?

it's way more visceral now. i'll let you draw your own conclusions.
wink.gif

[size=xx-small]..and in case that wasnt clear enough.. YES!!
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:52 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Voidoid-Surreal
How big of a difference does the Go-Vibe make with your SR-225's?

Honestly, since you are on a budget and new to all of this, I would suggest to just live with your SR225's unamped for now and when you get some money, then spring for an amp. I had my sr225s without an amp for a short while and I was very happy with them.

With that said... I think the go-vibe makes a big difference. It is somewhat subtle, but I noticed more and more as I listened to the amp for a longer period of time. The biggest difference I think is how much tighter the bass is with the go-vibe than when it is unamped. If you have a song with repeated quick bass drum kicks it is much quicker and more defined with the vibe. Note separation is clearer (when intended by the musician).

Jul 29, 2004 at 3:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
hmm let's see - a pair of open cans, a pair of closed. YOU NEED CANALS.

This is exactly what my brain is telling me..... nooooo!
blink.gif

Jul 29, 2004 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 19
One of the easy ways to spoil this hobby is to get too much too soon. Take the time to explore and enjoy the headphones you have. Listen to the music you have and discover how new it can sound and how different each headphone can make it seem. Don't be in a hurry to climb on the bigger, better, different escalator. There will always be new gear to buy. Take your time and enjoy the experience.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back