A900 - I want more.
Oct 19, 2007 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Ethelred

New Head-Fier
So my A900s arrived today. I am extremely happy with them at this time. However, these are definitely showing every flaw in my system...I am now really thinking I need a new sound card (currently onboard) and an amp.

The thing that amazes me is that I find myself turning down the volume on things alot more as it's really not necessary to have it that loud anymore.

I wouldn't consider my ears trained at this point. But these headphones are amazing on anything with a guitar or piano (not really digging the techno much with them.) , everything is so distinctive and precise.

I assume that for everyone after they got that headphone that simply *clicked* for them it was a slippery slope after that?

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by techniqu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh man definitely get a sound blaster x-fi/m audio soundcard. the difference is HUGE compared to onboard sound (unless you have an intel HD onboard, in which case the difference is still apparent).

I do have HD onboard...however, I can hear the flaws very apparently, particularly between bitrates.

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have HD onboard...however, I can hear the flaws very apparently, particularly between bitrates.

well, the only thing that can improve apparent flaws between bitrates is to rerip everything to a higher bitrate. A better dac is only going to make that problem worse.

Oct 20, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 11
I thought that mp3s sounded better out of an external dac, maybe that's just me

I have the 900LTD, and it's great for when I'm loooking for something more in the euphonic line of things.

Oct 20, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, the only thing that can improve apparent flaws between bitrates is to rerip everything to a higher bitrate. A better dac is only going to make that problem worse.

^^^

you should still get a better soundcard though. the intel HD is better than regular onboard solutions, but the x-fi/m-audio cards are still quite a bit better.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 11
That's what's terrible, because I know that the little things that I improve such as my DAC, getting and amp and like will only point out all the flaws in the previous things (such as the bitrate or media)...and then I have to improve those and then that will point out another flaw in the set-up and eventually I'll have 20 headphones, a vinyl record player, iMod w/Amp and a second mortgage...

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what's terrible, because I know that the little things that I improve such as my DAC, getting and amp and like will only point out all the flaws in the previous things (such as the bitrate or media)...and then I have to improve those and then that will point out another flaw in the set-up and eventually I'll have 20 headphones, a vinyl record player, iMod w/Amp and a second mortgage...

Naw...If it's a computer set-up that you want, then focus on your computer. You won't have twenty headphones. You may have a few (I'm not saying that you'll only ever have one), but not twenty. As for Vinyl...that up to you. CD's are currently more convenient. As for an iMod and amp...I'm personally not that comfortable with that kind of portable set-up (too much investment for something that can be stolen from my person). I'd rather have a nicer home rig, anyway.

Re-rip/get FLAC and transcode (if you must) in Foobar2000 to a higher bit-rate mp3 and that should dramatically alter your set-up. That, or just listen to FLAC files. They're grrrrrreat!

Nylan

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by kichu1979 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would you compare a900 to ad2000 ?

900 is what I reach for when I want to fall asleep to my music and ad2000 is when I want to hear the details and the musicality. ad2000 is better balanced across the spectrum but maybe a bit bright for some people. as many people have said before it does female vocals very well. Surprisingly enough ( maybe not) the open design doesn't contribute a a massive soundstage that I first expected. In terms of comfort, the ad2000 pads feel better on my skin but the fit of the 900LTD is a lot more comfortable, though it tends to get hot. I'm pretty biased toward open designs if that means anything. Sorry I'm being kind of vague but there's just something about ad2000 that makes me reach for it more...

well maybe because the 900 LTD is further away haha

Oct 20, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naw...If it's a computer set-up that you want, then focus on your computer. You won't have twenty headphones. You may have a few (I'm not saying that you'll only ever have one), but not twenty. As for Vinyl...that up to you. CD's are currently more convenient. As for an iMod and amp...I'm personally not that comfortable with that kind of portable set-up (too much investment for something that can be stolen from my person). I'd rather have a nicer home rig, anyway.

Re-rip/get FLAC and transcode (if you must) in Foobar2000 to a higher bit-rate mp3 and that should dramatically alter your set-up. That, or just listen to FLAC files. They're grrrrrreat!

Nylan

x2000

maybe you also need DACs to help you improve SQ.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back