a700x thoughts?
May 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

acti0n

100+ Head-Fier
I don't see too many reviews for these yet, so I was wondering if anyone has heard them and what they think. They run $100 cheaper than the a900x (which has gotten some positive reviews here) and, like the a900x, they don't require an amp. That said, I never see them recommended when people ask for headphones in the ~$150 range.

May 12, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 6
May 12, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 6
I own the 700X myself, and I like them. I found them a little uncomfortable to wear at first, but have gotten used to them now.

Soundwise, they bring out the vocals very well, and do the mid-range quite well. The bass is present, but not strong like some other headphones (D2000, for example).

May 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
I own the 700X myself, and I like them. I found them a little uncomfortable to wear at first, but have gotten used to them now.

Soundwise, they bring out the vocals very well, and do the mid-range quite well. The bass is present, but not strong like some other headphones (D2000, for example).

What comfort issues did you have? Did the phones break-in and get more comfortable, or have you just learned to tolerate it?

May 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
What comfort issues did you have? Did the phones break-in and get more comfortable, or have you just learned to tolerate it?

Maybe I can chime in on comfort since I own the A900X.

My advice, beware! While I love AT's wing design, but it just doesn't work with heavier headphones. I found these to constantly loose seal and sound imbalanced. When comparing to my K550, I actually had to hold the right earcup in place to get a good seal! Basically, it's due to the heavy weight that makes it "sink" on your head, not to mention the wings that don't hold well. The cups themselves don't really conform to your head well either. The earpads are quite large and the clamping force is above average -- reminding you consistently that you are wearing a large device on your head. I just honestly think they are badly designed. This is coming from someone who loved the AD700 and AD900 designs. But you see, this is coming from someone with a larger head that actually benefits from the wings. Smaller heads, don't even bother.

May 13, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

They clamp a little tighter than I expected, and they do get a bit warm after a few hours of use. Then again, I have only used these for maybe 50-100 hours? The strange thing is that they are uncomfortable for the first 5-10 minutes only, and after that, I forget that I even have them on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back