A5's + a Good Sub?
Aug 8, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 18
Thanks for all the replies, they have been quite enlightening!

The HSU looks really beautiful, but the height is sort of off-putting. I am going to be in small spaces and need to be able to have it somewhat out of the way. (Oh, and I guess RCA-input would be nice since the A5's only have RCA output....)

So, still being small, but tightly controlled and musical with RCA inputs, Between the PSW, S8 and VX-10, or others if necessary, what would I be looking at for best? I live in Myrtle Beach, SC otherwise, I'd be out auditioning them....

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by yunaforever009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the replies, they have been quite enlightening!

The HSU looks really beautiful, but the height is sort of off-putting. I am going to be in small spaces and need to be able to have it somewhat out of the way. (Oh, and I guess RCA-input would be nice since the A5's only have RCA output....)

So, still being small, but tightly controlled and musical with RCA inputs, Between the PSW, S8 and VX-10, or others if necessary, what would I be looking at for best? I live in Myrtle Beach, SC otherwise, I'd be out auditioning them....

Well one thing you have neglicted to state as the OP to this thread is just exactly what you are using to drive said recommended sub.

We all know you have A5's...But not a clue as to what your source is.

Might help a little bit.

Yes the HSU is from a great company that like Velodyne cut its teeth building subwoofers.

Since the HSU is well within your stated budget...And from all the reviews I can read about them...Even though they seem to be from several years ago...It would seem a good fit for you.

Sounds like you might want to just look at the physical size of the subs.

My use of the VX-10 is just to help what is a flaw (to me anyway) that the A5's and any other speaker sporting a 5" woofer have...They just will not reproduce anything below 100...It may make it...But sound good doing it ???

I dont think so.

You love your A5's...And I too, love mine...The sub woofer in my paticular application is to enhance the A5's sound quality...How ??? By allowing the A5's not having to do something that they are not really suited to do.

Hit below 100 with any acccuracy...Probably a bunch higher that that.

In your price range the Polk is the smallest...And has been recommended many times here at Head-Fi.

One thing for sure...The A5's are worth every penny...Actually amazing sound quality for the money spent.

And adding a sub just makes them that much better.

All that being said...If the HSU's height turns you off...Even though it is probably the best sounding of all recommended subs.

Then go with the smallest...Any one of them is way more sub than needed for the A5's...None of them will even break a sweat.

biggrin.gif

Aug 23, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #18 of 18
What I'm doing is saving for the physically small but highly praised Glow Sub One...$400. My second choice would have been the Hsu's...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back