A500s, First REAL headphone experience (56k warning) - Biggest Disappointment Ever
Jun 19, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #211 of 240
Well if they can't power your headphones decently then no. Line-outs generally cannot power even very efficient headphones decently. If you are asking to pair that soundcard with any pair of headphones, you should consider the price of the card + an amp. Earlier in the thread you cried about how 100 bucks was already way too much for you, so I suggest you cut your losses and spend no more.

This thread: DIE DIE DIE

Jun 19, 2005 at 3:03 PM Post #212 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
As for the $25 soundcard, isn't it supposed to be nearly the same quality as the 5.1 Revo and the Audigy ZS?

Which forum did you read that off? Is it someone elses opinion you're trusting?

See what I'm getting at.

Jun 19, 2005 at 8:28 PM Post #213 of 240
Quote:

As for the $25 soundcard, isn't it supposed to be nearly the same quality as the 5.1 Revo and the Audigy ZS? The AV-710 is supposed to be a good card. Anyways, I've been wanting a sound card anyways, so I won't be disappointed since this doesn't have to do with the headphones (I'll be getting for speakers primarily, using it with headphones will just be a slight plus).

Yeah where did you get this info
confused.gif

Audigy/Creative cards are overly bass heavy and the AV-710 uses the same front Envy24 chipset as the Revo

Jun 20, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #214 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim
wow. how poetic. hamburger.

This Thread: DIE DIE DIE

hahaha... yeah i think we get the point of whats wrong now. i think when my senns die, these will be next. after my MS-1's of course.

Jun 20, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #216 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak
Yeah where did you get this info
confused.gif

Audigy/Creative cards are overly bass heavy and the AV-710 uses the same front Envy24 chipset as the Revo

...but not the same DAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77
This is a waste, that just hurts the a500's reputation. They are great phones and if you dont own one you should.

I would try them out, but I would never spend $100-$150 more on a single set of cans. My next step up would have to be in the range of $250 USD.

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #217 of 240
Quote:

Won't it still be better than on-board?

The problem with using the line-out of the AV-710 is that it's unamplified.

Hence, the bass will sound shallow and weak while the highs will seem quite tizzy and fatiguing because the headphones aren't receiving enough current to properly drive them. I've tried it with ATH-A900: definitely not fun.

I would not recommend it.

-Matt

Jun 20, 2005 at 5:28 AM Post #218 of 240
Quote:

Won't it still be better than on-board?

If you're using cheaper cans, it sounds fine. With a500s you might be better off buying Audigy2zs for $70 off the egg. A better out for headphones, and a good card for your gaming.

Jun 20, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #221 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fennario
Reading this thread is like finding the raw hamburger that's been hiding in the corner of the fridge for the past two months, but you just have to open the butcher paper to see it prior to throwing it away, and before you know it your entire kitchen is covered in rotten meat.

PRICELESS

Jun 22, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #222 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
Aren't you the guy with crappy 128kbps Kazaa mp3s?

128kbps mp3s compose only SOME of my collection (And I'm not really hearing many artifacts at all). Most of the music I listen to is 320kbps, so that's not a problem.

Anyways, after about 200+ hours of burn-in and 2 1/2 weeks to get used to the A500s, I'm starting to hear better results. I think I heard a little soundstage in one of my songs when I heard a synth roll going constantly going back and forth from my back-left to back-middle. I'm also hearing new parts of my music that I never heard before, but they are really minute sounds. They are mostly just small background noises, like a soft bell synth ringing a for a little while in the background. Another thing I'm starting to notice is that, with my old headphones, some synths seemed to be "cut-off" near the end. With the A500s I'm hearing all of it until it fades off completely. Vocals are starting to sound more realistic in the sense that I'm near the person singing in a microphone (I thought the "realism" was supposed to sound like the person singing directly to you with no microphone effect?).

The A500s sound good, but I guess the sound signature isn't for me. So, for a complete 180 I'd need to get Grado/Alessandro cans, right? Right now I'm thinking SR80/125 or the MS-1s. For sound in the league of the A500s, which one should I get and would I need an amp to get A500 league sound?

EDIT: What does it mean when a headphone is fast sounding?

Jun 22, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #223 of 240
Im really happy that you are starting to like your new headphones. I think fast means the headphones abilty to change sound fast but im not sure.

Nov 9, 2005 at 9:52 PM Post #224 of 240
I guess this whole discussion proves somthing, "sound quality" sonically is one thing, but unless their sound actually excites you, its not really THAT important (but with high end headphones, you would expect both =P) and that sometimes you can't expect a huge jump when changing cans (except when changing brands and types of cause, just try not to get too hyped up).

Nice to hear you are starting to find your phones
580smile.gif
! Might be mind thing (no, I didn't just waste my money) but by some of your previous posts there is a definite improvment in sound.

What I'm more worried about is that fact you used 'X & Y' to descibe your problem... please let it be a Coincidence (stupid sellouts Coldplay....that album sucked
mad.gif
)

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #225 of 240
oh my, why is this thread on the first page. please please die, thread from hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back