A500s, First REAL headphone experience (56k warning) - Biggest Disappointment Ever
Jun 7, 2005 at 3:42 AM Post #62 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsphil
I must say, Azure originally started to get me interested in A500's, and now I am starting to think this is a bad idea. From what I'm hearing, the difference is there, yes, but so small it doesn't seem worth the $100 + shipping to get.

That's just his experience. But you also have to look at his sources. He's using 128kbps MP3 files and MP3 files made from MIDI files.

As the saying goes, "Crap in crap out".

I love my A500s. They're the perfect headphone for movies late at night when you don't want to bother people. They're great for gaming. You should hear the grenade explosions in SOCOM 2! Every bit as earth shattering as my 5.1 system turned up loud enough to shake the foundation of my house. These headphones are absolutely amazing and a very very good deal, even if Audiocubes takes a nice $30 markup. These headphones are great and worth every penny. But, just like any good set of headphones, you need to have a good source to go with it. You can't buy good headphones and expect those 128kbps MP3s you downloaded from a P2P network to sound good. You also can't run the headphones straight out of game console with a Y-Adapter and expect it to sound good.

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #63 of 240
So where could I get them aside from audiocubes?

Also, he mentioned that he has problems keeping the A500's on his head. Is that an issue with anyone else, or does Azure just have a really small head?

Jun 7, 2005 at 3:59 AM Post #64 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsphil
I must say, Azure originally started to get me interested in A500's, and now I am starting to think this is a bad idea. From what I'm hearing, the difference is there, yes, but so small it doesn't seem worth the $100 + shipping to get.

Just for the record the earliest mention of the a-500 that I could track was by Tigger back in Feb/03 and he liked them as have so many other people on this site.If they were truly "crappy" I don't think they would still be getting positive reviews after almost 21/2 years

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #65 of 240
And who's heard of a 2.5 year-long FOTM? a5/7/9 are here to stay
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #66 of 240
FOTM???

another song to rumble your brains- ambitions as a ridah- tupac
Get low- lil' john ft. yin yang twins

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:27 AM Post #69 of 240
this makes me anxious, and tempted, but i must hold myself back as i need an ipod mini 2nd gen....then i can get the ATH-A500 after my 212 die of old age.

Jun 7, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #70 of 240
Geez, its just a pair of cans, not crack. They should sound good (better than your previous set in that more-of-what-you-like and less-of-what-you-dislike), but it won't change your life. Although if you don't feel like you're getting any more detail out of them than our old set, maybe it wasn't the best move.

But a good set will always make your cheaper stuff sound like crap, that's kinda the point. I still love my SR60's, but they don't hold up to the HFI-700's overall.

Jun 7, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #71 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazuya
Flavour Of The Month!

Please... allow me to translate for my fellow Americans

"Flavor Of The Month!"

Jun 7, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #74 of 240
I got my A500 last week and I was gonna post a review but AOL decided to play up on me. I listen to alot of Hip hop and at first I have to say that I was not blown away at all (well maybe a few songs blew me away). I understood what people were talking about when they mentioned the soundstage and seperation of instruments, it really does gives a neatral and balanced sound which is great because you dont get everything thrown at you at once. The size of the phones was blown way out of content and I didnt find them to be that big, or maybe my head is to big. These are definatly the most comfortable headphones Ive ever used which can be an advantage, but I like my headphones to be slightly heavy and clampy. Back to the music, Like I said I listen to alot of Hip hop which doesnt really consist of many instruments but some of the songs do sound incredible, sometimes the A500 can be a little to bright and slightly harsh but with a little burn in the seemed to become more balanced. Things took a huge step up when I started playing Rage Against The Machiene, and I have to say I was taken back. I was able to hear each instrument on one level soundstage, It wasnt as bright as I last remembered and the Vocals were phenomenal. By this time I was completely pleased with my £60 purchase and I suggest that people give them more time. For closed phones they did sound a little bit Airy and I think they would benefit from a little more thickness in the sound and they could be a little bit more heavier in sound aswell (If that made sense). A few days later I really began to appriciate these Phones even more when I put my Shure E2c's in and to my surprise my once highly praised earphones now sounded disgusting. I couldnt beleive how bad they sounded, they sounded like there was a huge picnic cloth covering my music and I wasnt even able to hear some of the details that I could hear with my A500. To sum things up these are terrific phones, probably the best in this price range IMO. You may not be impressed by your initial reactions but when you listen to your previous Phones you will notice the differance.

Jun 7, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #75 of 240
nice observation. i really wish i could audition these before buying. i want to experience these for myself. when you listen to hip-hop, how high can u get the volume before the bass starts to rattle or go distorted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back