A40 Gaming headphones
Nov 2, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #32 of 40

Quote:
All my audiophile friends who have heard the F1 all say the same thing about it with the Mixamp. DAMN, why is it so damn hard to find for a good price?
biggrin.gif
Though the friends I have that owned both the F1 and K701/K702 say the AKGs are better in SQ overall, though not worth the price increase if you plan on just gaming with it... that and the F1 is a looooooot easier to drive off the Mixamp. Guess it'd be useless for me as I wouldn't part with the K701, but if I had none, best believe the F1 would be my first purchase.

I couldn't recommend the F1 for overall SQ.....I actually like my AD700 more for pure sound quality. It's what the F1 does with its soundstage/imaging/positioning that separates itself from the 700's and all the other headphones I tried.

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #33 of 40
I wish I could try out a mixamp because with my ad700's I get perfect depth and positioning just using stereo sound.  I'm sure the mixamp helps out cans with crap soundstage, but it's entirely a placebo with a good open can like the ad700.  That's my opinion on the matter anyways.  That's why I want to try it out someday.  

They're awful proud of that thing though aren't they.... $$$

Nov 2, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #34 of 40

Quote:
I wish I could try out a mixamp because with my ad700's I get perfect depth and positioning just using stereo sound.  I'm sure the mixamp helps out cans with crap soundstage, but it's entirely a placebo with a good open can like the ad700.  That's my opinion on the matter anyways.  That's why I want to try it out someday.  

An opinion in which I disagree completely on. The Mixamp's virtual surround is a WHOLE LOT different than regular stereo. If you've been gaming mostly with regular stereo, then obviously you won't understand just how different it is. The two couldn't be any more different. And I happen to think that it works BEST with headphones like the AD700's which have a large soundstage. Play with Dolby Headphone for a few days and then go back to regular old stereo. You'll hear just how different positional cues are. Wow.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Actually....it takes a headphone that is terrible for gaming and makes it playable. It takes a headphone that is great for gaming and makes it a weapon. Gotta try it brotha.
wink.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #36 of 40

Quote:

If you ever try it you will see there is a world of difference between with and without dolby headphone surround. Absolutely no placebo.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #37 of 40
What's awesome is that it can turn even $15 IEMs into a positional cue beast. Sure, they may lack soundstage and clarity, but you'll be able to tell exactly in which direction sounds are coming from. I wouldn't recommend it, as a decent soundstage adds separation to the sounds, making it easier to locate around you, but it helps with practically any headphone worth 2 cents.

I second what SBJ610 said. X100000

There's a lot of people that Dolby Headphone just wouldn't work for, as it is very different than regular stereo. People are used to sound placement in regular stereo, that the change would pretty much mess with their heads at first. Dolby Headphone is definitely something that you have to spend your time with, but once you do (with a great pair of headphones that represent DH well, like the AD700, F1, K701/2), they just might change their tune.

It's not something you can assess in a few minutes or even hours. I didn't even like it at first, like I said before. It took me getting another pair of headphones after the A40s to truly showcase the strengths of the technology.

Also, it's a TERRIBLE idea to use it with music. Gaming first and foremost, and movies to a much lesser extent (movies tend to have significantly less directional cues, especially rear ones).

Nov 3, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #38 of 40
Also, it's a TERRIBLE idea to use it with music. Gaming first and foremost, and movies to a much lesser extent (movies tend to have significantly less directional cues, especially rear ones).

Wow am I glad you said that. I watched "The Book of Eli" on bluray...I didn't catch alot from the rear cues....it might be the way the movie's audio is, i don't really know. I'm going to try "300" tonight....I read it has great audio.

Nov 3, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #39 of 40
Surely, you won't find it as 'wow-inducing' as gaming. With gaming, you can really control when to hear audio cues and in what direction if you wanted. With movies, it seems that 90% of the audio is aimed towards the front, I don't even bother watching movies with my headphones. I just use my 2.1 soundbar and enjoy with the girlfriend. I had a 5.1 setup before, but I was tired of the wire management.

Nov 3, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Surely, you won't find it as 'wow-inducing' as gaming. With gaming, you can really control when to hear audio cues and in what direction if you wanted. With movies, it seems that 90% of the audio is aimed towards the front, I don't even bother watching movies with my headphones. I just use my 2.1 soundbar and enjoy with the girlfriend. I had a 5.1 setup before, but I was tired of the wire management.

yeah with movie it is different, the advantage is that the voices from the dialogues sound like they are in front of you as it is supposed to be with a 5,1 speaker setup, unlike with stereo heaphone that you hear the voices on the side which is a bit weird. The downside is you miss a bit of some background sounds you would normaly hear much louder from a  5.1speaker setup or stereo heaphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back