A young audio enthusiast looking for advise on how to make a career out of it
Jan 10, 2012 at 6:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PacoP

New Head-Fier
[size=12pt]Since I placed my order about a month ago for some JH16's alot of things have happened in my life that make me want to do what I love to do more than ever and that is mixing sound and making music. I have no one locally that I know of to ask for advice so I decided to make a thread hoping in getting a response from someone successful in the audio field given that this is an audiophile forum or just tips in general to be successful in a field you love. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this so moderators feel free to move this where appropriate.[/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=small]It all started about a month ago when I ordered my first custom ever after reading about how great JH audio products are for several years and enjoying my triple fis. Needless to say I was very excited about the purchase and looking forward to enjoying my favorite hobby more than ever even though it did take a great deal of working to purchase them. I was also very excited to spend the following days with my family enjoying the holidays. God seemed to have other plans. Three of my family members, two uncles and my grandpa, were hospitalized so I got someone to cover my shifts at work so I could be there for them. I got to spend Christmas eve with my grandpa healthy with the family but I got sick so I couldnt spend Christmas or the following days until his passing away on the 28. So that really affected me. By new years eve the initial sadness of a lost loved one is slowly starting to heal with all the family together supporting  each other celebrating the start of a new year. The next day on new years I had to work then I received a call from my mom giving me the news that my uncle in Mexico has passed away. I tried to speak to a manager so they can know whats going on and that I have to leave but the first manager just starts asking me questions like why cant you just stay 1 more hour to finish your shift and what did he die of and will I be able to work tomorrow after writing me up for not working even though I covered my shift to be with my hospitalized family members. Luckily another manager was more understanding and let me leave. That really made me think about the kind of life I want to be living given how my managers treated me in a moment of crisis they were not very understanding and I dont want to work for someone like that. My uncle was also very young only 27 and had just started his own business and was doing very good. That also got me thinking on whether I will have enough time to fulfill my dreams given that he is only 5 years older so I needed to start as soon as possible. Owning my own business is a dream of mine to have to flexibility to make it an enjoyable environment[size=small] and be able to spend time with my family.But for now owning a business is too far out of reach perhaps using my investment in a pair JH16 to mix sound somewhere is a more reachable goal to do what I enjoy doing for a living and helping my family with all the hospital and funeral costs and eventually making my own band. Is there any tips yall may have to help me get on the path to being successful doing what I love to help my family? I'm still excited to receive the JH16's soon even though the joy is bitter sweet. I thank JH audio for bringing some joy to these holidays and thank you everyone who took the time to read this and/or respond to it.[/size][/size]

Jan 16, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 6
Hello, PacoP,
First of all, my condolences to you and your family regarding the loss of your Uncle. My suggestions to you are to start reading voraciously about all types of different recording gear, ESPECIALLY pro stuff. There are various Pro magazines you can try (Mix, Audio Media, Electronic Musician, etc.), as well as magazines covering consumer gear as well. When I studied Audio Engineering some years ago, one of the first magazines I started reading was Mix. I also grew up reading various consumer magazines like Stereo Review, Audio, High Fidelity, Stereophile, etc. (some of which aren't published anymore).There are many articles and some magazines that you can find online as well. Audio Media is a pretty good one (link below).

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/audiomedia_201201/

I started in the industry after attending Center for the Media Arts in New York City for a year, and getting internships at Platinum Island Recording Studios, Unique Recording, and Battery Recording Studios. Although I'm no longer in the recording industry, that's how I got started. My advice is to start reading, get information on different studios, local radio stations and TV studios and schools in your area, talk to the people there and ask their advice on how to break into the business, and also continue to listen to as much consumer gear as you can and continue learning how to listen, what to listen for, and all the different audio terms that go with it.

And don't forget: you are NEVER too old to learn and follow your dreams. Just make your mind up, and do it. And don't be afraid to try, and keep on trying! Good Luck!

Jan 22, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Hello, PacoP,
First of all, my condolences to you and your family regarding the loss of your Uncle. My suggestions to you are to start reading voraciously about all types of different recording gear, ESPECIALLY pro stuff. There are various Pro magazines you can try (Mix, Audio Media, Electronic Musician, etc.), as well as magazines covering consumer gear as well. When I studied Audio Engineering some years ago, one of the first magazines I started reading was Mix. I also grew up reading various consumer magazines like Stereo Review, Audio, High Fidelity, Stereophile, etc. (some of which aren't published anymore).There are many articles and some magazines that you can find online as well. Audio Media is a pretty good one (link below).

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newbay/audiomedia_201201/

I started in the industry after attending Center for the Media Arts in New York City for a year, and getting internships at Platinum Island Recording Studios, Unique Recording, and Battery Recording Studios. Although I'm no longer in the recording industry, that's how I got started. My advice is to start reading, get information on different studios, local radio stations and TV studios and schools in your area, talk to the people there and ask their advice on how to break into the business, and also continue to listen to as much consumer gear as you can and continue learning how to listen, what to listen for, and all the different audio terms that go with it.

And don't forget: you are NEVER too old to learn and follow your dreams. Just make your mind up, and do it. And don't be afraid to try, and keep on trying! Good Luck!

Thank you for all this information on how to get started and for the condolences. Actually It's quite the opposite. I'm too young to be taken seriously alot of the times (22). I live in San Antonio but maybe moving to Austin might be a good idea since it is a more music/movie oriented city. Is there any books you recommend reading. I realize getting into the music industry is probably not the easiest thing to do but that is what makes me the happiest and I dont want to be telling my children they can accomplish their dreams when I didnt, But mostly I want to this all working out so when I get older I can spend time with my family and help others when they have a crisis like mine and also help them achieve their dreams. I've been playing guitar for about 7 years and have studied music theory and jazz so that might help having some knowledge in how music works even though alot of newer hits are mostly computer generated.I also have experience with recording and playing live. Thanks again. Your help means alot

Jan 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello Paco,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I just saw your reply. Actually, 22 is a great age to get started in an audio career! Some other advice I would give you is to check out all the recording studios, radio/TV stations in your area (i'm sure there are probably more than a few in your area in San Antonio but check the phone book to find out for sure), and get to talk with and network with the studio managers and some of the engineers and assistant engineers there. You'll most likely have to start by interning, and you might have to do this for free, but it can be so worth it for the knowledge that you can learn. I interned for free when I worked at Platinum Island, but I learned a lot, and one of the engineers there even gave Sunday classes when he could. 

If you start visiting these studios on a regular basis, and get to know the people there and let them know of your passion and interest in audio, you can get in. It might not be easy, and it won't happen overnight, and be prepared to work LONG HOURS, and NIGHTS!! That's what it's going to take. And please don't be fooled into thinking that you'll get into a studio right away and start learning. When you start, the only thing you will be doing when you first get into the Control Room is cleaning up after sessions. As well as cleaning the rest of the studio, running errands, answering phones, etc. But through all of this, you may find an engineer that's willing to talk with you and willing to teach. If I don't tell you one more thing, I will tell you this: ASK PLENTY OF QUESTIONS at the appropriate time, and if you do get to sit in on a recording session, know when to BE SILENT and JUST LISTEN! 

I wish you all the luck in the world Paco, and hope your dream of being a recording engineer comes true! It will if you believe in yourself and stick to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back