• B

Votes: 57 47.1%
  • C

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • D

Votes: 21 17.4%

• Total voters
Jan 8, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #16 of 35
Didn't think I'd see a keycap interest check on Head-Fi. Thought this was geekhack for a moment.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #17 of 35
Didn't think I'd see a keycap interest check on Head-Fi. Thought this was geekhack for a moment.
Hahaha I'm actually curious how many people here came from geekhack (myself included), though these days r/mk is more popular.

But there must be enough people who have overlapping hobbies like me (mouse / keyboard / headphone).

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #21 of 35
Hey, I'm probly too old to have an interest or be in the target for something like this... but please enlighten me, why is this a thing, why does it exist, what value it brings?, and I could go on... I'm too lazy to google it.

Because I was searching the other day for some FiiO amp modules, and they are just gone, vanished from their website. So maybe I'll buy a "keycap" instead 🤔

Jan 8, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #22 of 35
Hey, I'm probly too old to have an interest or be in the target for something like this... but please enlighten me, why is this a thing, why does it exist, what value it brings?, and I could go on... I'm too lazy to google it.

Because I was searching the other day for some FiiO amp modules, and they are just gone, vanished from their website. So maybe I'll buy a "keycap" instead 🤔
Long story short, just as there is headphone crowd, there also exists a mechanical keyboard crowd (which is quite large at the moment).

With mechanical keyboard you can get custom keycaps and swap them to your liking (kind of like people pad rolling).

One of the sub category is artisan keycaps:

https://www.jellykey.com/product-category/artisan-keycaps/

Though people are more into aluminum case and rare fancy switches these days lol. If you want to get a general feel of what the crowd is like you can check out here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/

So just like us we mix and match our dac / amp / op amp / tube / cable / ear pad / ear cup / different modding techniques ......etc. In keyboard world they can customize their case / PCB / plate / switch / spring / lube / keycaps / cable ....... the list goes on.

It's another pretty deep hole that's bad for your wallet. One might argue "why do you need fancy keyboards", similar reason to "why do you need fancy headphones" LOL.

And then there's gaming mouse but that's another topic for another day. :p
Hey, I'm probly too old to have an interest or be in the target for something like this
EDIT: Forgot to comment on this, funny enough the OG mechanical keyboard crowd is actually quite old, they come from the IBM Model M / Apple Extended Keyboard era. Then there was a brief time period where company try to save cost and switch to rubber dome. Then now mechanical keyboard is trendy again due to online gaming crowd.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #24 of 35
D, then B, then A.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #25 of 35
I would like to Vite for A and C but I have no idea what they are

Jan 10, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 35
Hahaha I'm actually curious how many people here came from geekhack (myself included), though these days r/mk is more popular.

But there must be enough people who have overlapping hobbies like me (mouse / keyboard / headphone).
Other way around for me. I got (far too) into mech keys after seeing so many nice keebs in various Head-Fiers' posts!

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #28 of 35
Other way around for me. I got (far too) into mech keys after seeing so many nice keebs in various Head-Fiers' posts!
I'm sort of glad I went the Topre route, and that limit my options heavily so that saved me a lot of money LOL.

Think of it as electrostat which live within its ecosystem so it limits your modding options.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 35
I'm sort of glad I went the Topre route, and that limit my options heavily so that saved me a lot of money LOL.

Think of it as electrostat which live within its ecosystem so it limits your modding options.
I actually have a Leopold FC660C due to arrive tomorrow! I'm starting to feel ready to settle down... and refocus $$$ on head gear & music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back