A Visit to Decware
Mar 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #61 of 152
Quote:
Eric, I was thinking that it might be worthwhile for the masses if Steve would authorize you to add a picture of the Taboo as it will look in its final state. Not everyone will take the time to click through to the Decware site. I think it looks absolutely stunning with the LCDs and the Walnut base, but the ability to customize at this price point is very rare and shows how much pride Steve puts into his products.

These are the only available pics I know of for the finalized Taboo MK III:

New black top plate. You can choose at checkout whether you want 3 or 4 pin XLR's
for balanced output.If you choose 4 pin you could have 4 pairs of HP's running at the
same time. The meter's reflect the 2 EL84 tubes in the L/R output stage.

Quote from the Decware site regarding the tubes:

"The stock configuration is a 6922 (6N1P) driving a pair of EL84 or SV83 (6P15P-EV) output tubes.  The rectifier is a 5U4 but you may substitute 5Y3GT, 5AR4's or the new Valve Art 274B.   You can expect over 6000 hours of pristine fidelity from the included 6P15P-EV tubes.  Because this amp has the Hazen Grid Mod that activates only when SV83 (6P15P-EV) output tubes are used, we ship the amp with the best mil spec 6P15P-EV's made.  These are Russian New Old Stock tubes with Gold grids, extra thick glass, plated pins, and tested in your amplifier.  All tubes come with a 90 day warranty."

Back left corner you can see the Speaker connections, the input RCA's, the switch for
the new Lucid Mode and the left rear Single Ended headphone jack.

Walnut base option with Audeze LCD-2.2's.

Custom white figured base option.

Taboo site link:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/TABOO.htm

There is a Youtube video on the Taboo page that shows the build.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #63 of 152
The Taboo Mk III looks like it might be the perfect amp to pair with my new LCD 3's...I'll be giving the Woo amps a listen at Salon Son & Image in 2 weeks, but unfortunately Decware isn't on the list of brands at the show.  Given that this amp is designed with their CSP-2 in mind, I'd presume that it should work quite nicely in my setup - I'd like to use my Shindo pre-amp for head-fi listening as well as hi-fi listening, and this amp seems to be one of the few designed to be used that way AND optimized for my headphones.

Any listening impressions of the Mk III are welcome...would you describe its sound in terms of clarity, or in terms of depth of texture?  I find that good amps tend to one or the other - either they tend to move the music along quickly and clearly, or they tend to shine a light on music's texture...and then as you move up in $$$ you can start to have it all...

Edit to mention - those are EL84 (or similar) tubes, not the much more powerful EL34's.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #64 of 152
Quote:
The Taboo Mk III looks like it might be the perfect amp to pair with my new LCD 3's...I'll be giving the Woo amps a listen at Salon Son & Image in 2 weeks, but unfortunately Decware isn't on the list of brands at the show.  Given that this amp is designed with their CSP-2 in mind, I'd presume that it should work quite nicely in my setup - I'd like to use my Shindo pre-amp for head-fi listening as well as hi-fi listening, and this amp seems to be one of the few designed to be used that way AND optimized for my headphones.

Any listening impressions of the Mk III are welcome...would you describe its sound in terms of clarity, or in terms of depth of texture?  I find that good amps tend to one or the other - either they tend to move the music along quickly and clearly, or they tend to shine a light on music's texture...and then as you move up in $$$ you can start to have it all...

Edit to mention - those are EL84 (or similar) tubes, not the much more powerful EL34's.

Typo on the EL's....This amp does not have anyone out in the Head-Fi world who has spent time with it. The Taboo MK II is a terrific LCD-2/3 amp. The new one was optimized by the builder specifically fot the LCD-2's and he is very pleased with it. I had about an hour with the prototype and the LCD-2's as well as my HD800's. Both showed really well. I am reluctant to give an unqualified response until receive mine and get some good time on it. Look for a review in the next 4 weeks or so from FrankI and then a few of us should start getting them in house to add to the review list. My estimated receive time is mid May.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #65 of 152
Forgive me if I've missed it, but has anyone heard this amp with the HE-500?

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #66 of 152
Quote:

Are you talking about the Taboo III?  If so, I believe that Eric and Frank are the entire list of people who've heard it outside of Decware staff.  I don't believe that either one of them has mentioned the HE-500.  I'm sure someone will check out the pairing eventually.

Mar 13, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #67 of 152
Nice review Eric, thanks.

It looks like a very nice amp.

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #68 of 152
Quote:

Unfortunately I dont have an he500 to listen to it with. I returned the he500 when I bought the lcd2.2. i am trying to see if I can get one to borrow to work into the review. i know someone not too far that has one and will shoot him an email or call him and see if he can get here with it.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #69 of 152
to all you guys that are regs at Decware, how is Steve with doing custom jobs? I am interested in getting the Zbox custom made in balanced? do you all think that is possible?

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #70 of 152
Quote:
to all you guys that are regs at Decware, how is Steve with doing custom jobs? I am interested in getting the Zbox custom made in balanced? do you all think that is possible?

Best thing to do is call him and ask him. He does customs stuff and I would not be surprised if he would do it if you asked him to . Thats how the original Taboo came to be when i called him and asked him to do it.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #71 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

Best thing to do is call him and ask him. He does customs stuff and I would not be surprised if he would do it if you asked him to . Thats how the original Taboo came to be when i called him and asked him to do it.

+1...But call, do not e-mail. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #72 of 152
Shouldn't be hard. Just double everything and pull the right or left channel from each one. :D

Quote:

Mar 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #73 of 152
Being a non-engineering type, I think they just ask the elves in the box to re-arrange the magic...
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #74 of 152
Quote:
Being a non-engineering type, I think they just ask the elves in the box to re-arrange the magic...
biggrin.gif

+1 
biggrin.gif
!
Thanks guys! I emailed Sarah but have not heard back. Perhaps I do need to pick up the phone,,, 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back