A Visit to Decware
Mar 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #31 of 152
Yeah, I gave Steve Guttenberg a hard time about that. He got a ton of pics so I was surprised I was in the final group. I would like to hear a Bottlehead Crack Amp. They seem to be a terrific pairing with the HD650's.

Mar 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #32 of 152
Cool. Steve Guttenberg just linked this thread to his Twitter account.  
biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking the time to read it Steve!

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 152
Quote:

I'm currently searching for the United Electronics USAF-596 rectifier myself; a rare tube. If I get lucky, will broadcast the info...

Ho that would make my day! (in fact quite a few days actually)

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 152
Ultra?....Another Group buy opportunity perhaps?

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #39 of 152
Quote:
Quote:
Ultra?....Another Group buy opportunity perhaps?

No, sorry. After 2 596 sales my guy is all out of these tubes. and the least funny thing is I didn't keep any for myself. I'm sad. very sad.

Currently, conducting two searches: 20-lot and whatever I can find. I love my people here, so I'll keep everyone posted. 

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #40 of 152
Barb wire going up around my 596's....
ph34r.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #41 of 152
Despite USAF-596's popping up here and there, I still consider them very rare. I can understand your guarding the precious glass. Many are likely being stored for their original use - RF Transmitters and stuff. We're the 
tongue_smile.gif
 other cats!

Mar 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #42 of 152
very very nice write up Eric! I have been checking out decware for a while. It is them and Omega that are in the running for my next speaker purchase -- I am looking at the radials for my F3. BTW, do Taboo performance specs include HE6 need? What are power and current specs? In any case, I am glad to see Decware get more and more mainstream.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #43 of 152
Quote:
very very nice write up Eric! I have been checking out decware for a while. It is them and Omega that are in the running for my next speaker purchase -- I am looking at the radials for my F3. BTW, do Taboo performance specs include HE6 need? What are power and current specs? In any case, I am glad to see Decware get more and more mainstream.

I'll flatly state that the Taboo cannot drive the HE-6.  I have both, and the combo makes it sound like something is severely wrong.  The bass becomes incredibly distorted, and the rest of spectrum distorts a lot too.  I still love my Taboo, but it's no match for the infamous HE-6. 

edit: I should also note that Steve's last full radial speaker (the ERR's that I own) are very good.  I'd imagine that the HR-1 hybrids would be excellent.  It uses the same drivers with the addition of a front-firing 6" mid driver and an 8" passive radiator.  It seems like it would improve the performance in a "sweet spot" while maintaining the off-axis performance.  With my 35 watt tube amp, I barely get my preamp to 11:00.  Your First Watt amp should be a fine match as long as you're not using a passive preamp.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #44 of 152
Quote:
Quote:

I'll flatly state that the Taboo cannot drive the HE-6.  I have both, and the combo makes it sound like something is severely wrong.  The bass becomes incredibly distorted, and the rest of spectrum distorts a lot too.  I still love my Taboo, but it's no match for the infamous HE-6. 

edit: I should also note that Steve's last full radial speaker (the ERR's that I own) are very good.  I'd imagine that the HR-1 hybrids would be excellent.  It uses the same drivers with the addition of a front-firing 6" mid driver and an 8" passive radiator.  It seems like it would improve the performance in a "sweet spot" while maintaining the off-axis performance.  With my 35 watt tube amp, I barely get my preamp to 11:00.  Your First Watt amp should be a fine match as long as you're not using a passive preamp.

+1 for Dave's comments. Steve had the LCD-2's in mind, not the HE-6's.  The new HR-1 speakers are terrific and worked well with the Taboo and REALLY well with the Torii Mono's.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #45 of 152
Thanks for the heads up on a new small-business firm in High End audio.
smily_headphones1.gif
DecWare™ is obviously in the business of tube hardware.  Which has me asking:  Can DecWare™ fabricate a stereo amplifier capable of driving electrostats, such as the Stax Earspeaker or one of the smaller Quad panels, that require up to 1 kV bias and up to 2 kV peak-to-peak audio power per channel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back