A very unusual problem
Jun 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alaron251

New Head-Fier
I woke up today to find my headphones only working in one ear (I just left them on my desk like I always do, however, they are always plugged in)

Some of the symptoms:

1. I only hear sound in one ear (That is, I hear ALL sound in one ear, it goes mono, and I can hear all sound meant exclusively for the left ear, in the right ear.
  2. This is where it gets unusual, I can, or at least was* (This method no longer works) at one point able to get the left speaker to work if I would plug it into my phone, and then plug it into my computer, it would work temporarily. Though, if I unplugged it, and plugged it back in the same port, it wouldn't work. (So for instance I couldn't take it out of my computer and plug it back in and it would work) Ok, that does work.
  3. Now it gets even stranger, when I DID get it to work using the previous method, I could wiggle all the wires, the jack and so on and the sound would not cut out, yet the most minor of vibrations of the headphone cup caused it to go quieter and quieter until it ceased to produce sound. (The stronger the vibration the faster the sound dissipated.) Punchy drum sounds also knock the sound out, after about 3 or 4 beats.

My headphones are Denon AH-D1001s

It isn't software related, as the same thing happens on my phone

tl;dr Headphones stop working with slight movements when the wires are connected okay.

I assume the answer will be that there is some irreparable damage in the speaker area, but that's odd considering it was fine the night before.

*Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Thoughts?

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 12
Sounds like the cable is broken somewhere and bare wires are touching each other. 
Headphones with thin cables like yours are more prone to cable problems more than anything else. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 12
That's what I thought initially, but I can jiggle the wire around freely and sometimes the sound will not dissipate until the cup is disturbed (though that has stopped since, and now I can't get the left side to work at all.)

Is there anyway to confirm that it is a broken cable?

Jun 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 12
I've fixed quite a few cables and usually the problem is right beside or inside the socket, or just outside or inside the can - it is seldom along the majority of the cable between the two - this always makes it very difficult to judge where the problem lies exactly until you open it all up and can jiggle each wire and connection freely.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 12
So you say I should just check around either connection joints? Seems strange that moving them didn't ellicit a response, only moving the headphone cup made any difference, and I checked the connections and they were fine, and after jiggling around the wire it made no difference either at the jack, the cup or along the middle.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 12
Then I would have to strongly agree with the thread title 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 12
Sounds like a soldering point on the driver is weak, or the driver is dying; in that order of likelihood.

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 12
It's a high possibility. I've had some earbud cables die in 3 months due to excessive use/abuse... I've learned to be more careful but now I primarily use big headphones with thick or easily replaceable cables.

Jun 24, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #12 of 12
Cable problem might not be the right term, but it's definitely a wiring problem. Drivers do "go by themselves" if they're abused or were produced with a flaw in them. Who knows what your particular situation might be without opening up and inspecting things with some tools.

Quote:
Yes but this isn't a cable problem. Or at least, all logic dictates it shouldn't be. Do drivers really...'go' by themselves?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back