A very strange (and disturbing) conclusion
May 27, 2002 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Okay...today my el cheapo creative labs speakers blew out. Naturally, I can't afford to get new pc speakers at the time, so i decided to plug in my headphone syststem. First, I used the cheapie mini/mini cable that came with the creative labs speakers and plugged it into my airhead (i am between home amps at the moment) Then I plugged in my HD600. Naturally, I was reluctant to defile my HD600's by listening to MP3, but the result was short of amazing. It seriously sounds better than when I had and MG Head DT plugged into my Denon 370. This feeling could just be because i am soooo used to listening to the cheapie pc speakers...or the sound could just be superb, either way, I am satisfied. I was playing red alert 2 this morning, and I heard details from the game which I had never previously heard before. I put my CD's in the cd rom drive, and they sound better than the denon/MG Head system. This is very disturbing, since I've invested sooo much money into this hobby already. Even scarier, Joe Bloggs' philosophy may be correct
eek.gif
I have a MOSFET amp on the way courtesy of thomas, I will see how these two fare out. I think silicone may just be the way to go for me. Perhaps I should save a bunch of money and go with a Creek OBH-11SE... instead of saving for an EarMax...?

May 27, 2002 at 5:17 AM Post #2 of 18
Don't panic...yet. It depends on the CD in question. A poorly produced CD will sound better on your PC than on a more revealing system like the MG Head. You might want to investigate with some of your better sounding discs. So much stuff out there sounds pretty mediocre or worse.

May 27, 2002 at 5:46 AM Post #3 of 18
Maybe you're just discovering that you like it bright.
very_evil_smiley.gif
The Denon is definitely a warm player.

May 27, 2002 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 18
Nick,
hope you meant "better" than a pc w/out dedicated headamp, not better than dedicated cdp and headamp combo, as Tim was referring.

May 27, 2002 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 18
Oops... it's late and I'm hungry. I misunderstood the post. I thought Tim was comparing an unamped setup to an amped one.

OK, now that I re-read it, it could be that Tim is an up-and-coming member of team solid state. I recommend contacting Headroom and taking the Little for a spin. Why not?

(returns to building a Porta Corda)

May 27, 2002 at 10:44 AM Post #8 of 18
Tim,

Again I'm scaring myself agreeing with NickD.

Try out a "Little" for $259.00. A really fantastic sounding amp.

Talking to Tyll in Orlando Saturday, more on the show later, he recommends a setup not in the catalog.

Call and ask for the "Little" with the upgrade module and standard power supply. He says it's killer and better than the standard module with "More Power" supply. I think he said it's $449.00.

I had the "Loaner Little" and loved it driving my HD600's. Really incredible sound.

Or just get a "Max" to start with. (lol)

May 27, 2002 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Even scarier, Joe Bloggs' philosophy may be correct
eek.gif

Muahahaha
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

So, basically, are you saying that you like your Airhead better than your MG Head? (BTW where is your MG Head now? Off for repair?) Or are you specifically saying that you like

soundcard -> Airhead
better than
Denon DCM-370 -> MG Head?

Then where would you place
Denon 370 -> Airhead?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #10 of 18
Don't forget synergy. From what I understand, the 370 errs on the warm side, and I know the MG Head (at least w/ stock tubes) does as well. Might've been too much of a good thing. I second the suggestion to try the 370 + Airhead.

May 27, 2002 at 5:03 PM Post #11 of 18
Me, I'm just wondering why it took him so long to figure out that he likes his Airhead over the MG Head... or is there something I've missed?
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 27, 2002 at 8:44 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Dunno if it helps, but every time I used a headphone amp in conjunction with my PC and Sennheiser 580/600's, the sound was massively, unimaginably better.

Might it have been your source?

I think it is my source. Perhaps I need to get a more neuteral CDP. I think that I could live without HDCD, any suggestions for a good redbook cdp? I do have a CEC record player on the way, we'll see how it all sounds with that

May 27, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
Tim,

Again I'm scaring myself agreeing with NickD.

Try out a "Little" for $259.00. A really fantastic sounding amp.

Talking to Tyll in Orlando Saturday, more on the show later, he recommends a setup not in the catalog.

Call and ask for the "Little" with the upgrade module and standard power supply. He says it's killer and better than the standard module with "More Power" supply. I think he said it's $449.00.

I had the "Loaner Little" and loved it driving my HD600's. Really incredible sound.

Or just get a "Max" to start with. (lol)

ya know, I might just shoot for a solid state Im pretty sure that I will eventually get a cosmic someday. I like the idea of having a home quality amp that is portable.

May 27, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Oops... it's late and I'm hungry. I misunderstood the post. I thought Tim was comparing an unamped setup to an amped one.

OK, now that I re-read it, it could be that Tim is an up-and-coming member of team solid state. I recommend contacting Headroom and taking the Little for a spin. Why not?

(returns to building a Porta Corda)

I will when i am 18 (and have a credit card for that matter). Soon I will be getting a skezkers (built by Thomas) with "premium" parts. I hope that will satisfy me for a while, untill I can afford one of the more uber headroom amps. I really wish I would've grabbed the home i saw on ebay which went for about 500$

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Bloggs

Then where would you place
Denon 370 -> Airhead?

a few paces below the Soundcard -> airhead

May 27, 2002 at 10:42 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer

ya know, I might just shoot for a solid state setup. I'd really like to try out the creek stuff to start with. My dad's creek integrated sounds really awesome with his speaker setup. It's got that nice british sound. Im pretty sure that I will eventually get a cosmic someday. I like the idea of having a home quality amp that is portable.

I don't think you'll find the Creek to be any more portable than the "Little".

I also think you'll find that the "Little" will drive your HD600's better than the OBH-11.

Get one from Headroom. If you don't like it, they have a 30 day return. I really think it'll blow you away though.

AND, it has the processor and two levels of filter for highs. It really kicks some serious low freqs too. (BASS is a fish, a very fun to catch fish. Therefore, audio has low frequencies.)

I vote for you trying out the Little, and if you want portability, get the new Total Airhead. (4.5 Volt)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back