A very lucky and expensive month.
May 26, 2007 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

randerson3024

Owns the ultimate portable rig
Fellow Head-Fier's,

Since joining this website, I have really expanded my knowledge of high end headphone listening; which was a surprise as I have been an audiophile since I was a kid. Over the last month I have been able to find a HeadAmp Aristeaus, Sennheiser HE60's, Grado HP-2's, AKG K1000's, and some Allesandro MS Pros (I think, I have ordered so many headphones, the model numbers escape me).

This is a great website! It definately helps maintain my sanity while working overseas on a ship.

Cheers!
k1000smile.gif
lambda.gif
600smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
gs1000.gif

May 26, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 12
Wow. Very impressive. I think in the end you will save money by skipping the typical "middle of the road" cans so often suggested here as a first foray into headphones, and going straight for the best of the best.

May 26, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #3 of 12
There's something funny about working on a ship that lends itself to the pursuit of excellence in one specific realm-- a little solitude and concentration, and I guess the sea helps. I know a guy in Boston, a retired Captain in the merchant marine, who had spent years making contact with the agents of various coffee plantations, and who'd had a shipboard roaster made for him. I've never had such good coffee as during the two years he ran a little hole-in-the-wall cafe in the North End. It's sounds like you've got the headphone version of this, randerson.

May 26, 2007 at 12:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Don't say you were not warned.
orphsmile.gif

May 26, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 12
You guys are all correct, I do try to strive for excellence, and it does keep me sane. It can be sooooooooo boring out here. Just three more years of this and my evil master financial plan will be complete
very_evil_smiley.gif
, providing I chill on the audio spending.

Kane - Good to hear from you. I was about to email you about the SE60's later today. Attached is a picture the latest setup. I am not too satisfied with the Grace so far, it is connected to the Linn via Nordost Valhalla XLR's, and it just doesn't impress me so far. I am going to try it on the Esoterics tonight.

Cheers.

Stateroom_May_23_2007.JPG

May 26, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Way to go!

If you have the funds to feed this addicting hobby, it can indeed be quite rewarding. You are off to one of the most impressive starts I have ever witnessed here at Head-Fi.

I'm dying to know which of those headphones you prefer the most. So once the dust settles and your wallet has been defibrillated and you have spent some extensive quality time with that batch of headphones, please share with us your impressions. It would be interesting to hear what a lifelong audipophile (who never got into headphones) has to say about high end phones.

Since it seems you are shooting mostly for top-shelf phones, I would like to toss a suggestion for test driving a pair of Grado PS-1s into the ring.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am guessing that you are overseas serving your country. If that is indeed the case, then I would like to personally thank you. Come home soon and come home safe, brother.

May 26, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks to all for the kind comments. I have been an audio junkie all my life, and had various iterations of Stax and Grado's over the years. Since joining the forum, I have been turned on to all the really cool eclectic and rare items not found in mainstream audio. So far, electrostatic headphones sound the best to me (I have either always had electrostatic or planar speakers at home, currently Magnepan 3.6R's), however, I am eager to go balanced on my conventional headphones when my HeadAmp GS-X arrives, and already have my Cardas balanced cables for my HD 650's.

Cheers, Bob

May 26, 2007 at 1:48 PM Post #12 of 12
epaludo, I certainly will if I am back home when any of the meets occur.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back