A very DIY portable alu box
Apr 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
Since the price of Hammond J1201 has become shockingly expensive at ELFA, I've desided to fight capitalism and make my own box. It's not as pretty or sturdy, but it does the job. Since the aluminium is thinner it's very lightweight. The heatsink on the LM317 is also DIY as you can see. I use perforated aluminium on top for venting. When charging and playing at the same time the power consuption is high.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Very nice.
smile.gif

Tried to DIY a case once, no two edges were straight, parallel or at right angles.

BTW what is the amp, how does it sound and how long does it run for off the batterys?

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 7
Nice job man. I was thinking about doing something similar with aluminum or copper roof flashing. What materials did you use? It looks like it is parts from aluminum siding.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW what is the amp, how does it sound and how long does it run for off the batterys?

It's my three channel class A folded cascode amplifier. It's powered by 8 AAA's. The current draw is somewhere around 100 mA and the batteries are 950 mAh, so I guess something like 5 - 7 hours. I actually have several of these with different concepts - one JFET input cascoded folded cascode, one JFET/bipolar CFP input, one bipolar input, one AD797 clone, one "straight" with JFET input. Now I'm figuring what to do next, probably cascoded VAS. All of them have bipolar input ground channel amp (except the CFP), because JFET input amps in all stages sound too grainy.

They all sound good
wink_face.gif

The bipolar sounds a bit recessed in the mids, like most bipolar amps, not too far from LM4562. Very sweet dark and non-fatiguing sound.
The CFP input has a "deep" and full sound with more bite and the typical "JFET-presence". It has some kind of glow to it, and it's the most involving one, I think, but I'm not sure yet.
The cascoded input stage is very detailed, has the best bass slam but could sometimes be a bit hard.
"AD797" is very clean. It gives the impression of less distortion, which also has proven to be the case.
The standard JFET input is just neutral with no fuss, but without any distinctive virtue like the ones above.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice work! Have you thought about scaling up for bigger cases?

Yes, I'm actually planning on a desktop amp, and a speaker amp. Maybe with both CFP and cascoded folded cascode input stage, cascoded VAS and fully complementary.

Apr 5, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by rembrant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice job man. I was thinking about doing something similar with aluminum or copper roof flashing. What materials did you use? It looks like it is parts from aluminum siding.

It's just some standard aluminium sheets. The point is to use thin and soft aluminium since it's much easier to fold and it's cheaper too. Thicker aluminium would be nicer, but what's important for me is low weight, small size and low cost, and I don't have the tools that are needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back