a very different kind of hybrid
Aug 3, 2004 at 7:14 PM Post #46 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
heh, no I don't
biggrin.gif

tell Rudi to write his explanation here, it shouldn't be that hard I think.. coz this is not subjective, it's not like Rudi's tubes always show signs of negative feedback while Kevin's don't, hope you understand
wink.gif
I think Kevin is [silently]not[/silently] God and that there may be aspects even he don't know of, who knows, but first I need the explanation and after I understand it I'll become a believer.. that's all.. for now I trust Kevin, you should understand
wink.gif

Rudi is out of the trhead as he wrote, I'm not his father for ask him to enter again in the discussion ... so, if you whant know more about his opinion (as Rudi said) ask to him by PM.

The true do not is never in one only side... I respect the Kevin's opinion as I respect the Rudi's opinion. Point ! And this is MY opinion.

Best!
Nicola

Aug 3, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #47 of 69
to get this thread headed in a more fun direction and maybe provide some meaningless education by accident.......

Quote:

Melos used the tube filament as the current sink. Novel but......bass limitations.......limited voltage...yadda..yadda...(my adds the last)

Have to agree with this one .I tried every conceivable load for what some call the Szekeres Amp but something i can no longer call by that name due to it resembling the original in Class-A mosfet stage only.

I had read an article in the tube CAD Journal about a hybrid amp where the heater was used in this manner and it struck me as a very cool solution at the time so being a simple thing i implemented this feature and then sat down for the listening,the actual evaluation by "ear' and not the theoretical what it SHOULD sound like.

I must say the end result was a very clean signal and some of the low end "confusion' was gone,but so was the GRUNT factor !
Anyone who has ever used Grado headphones knows one thing they do not lack for is eye blinking slam if driven correctly and played LOUD .

Probably the loud is not a good thing but this dog is too damn old to change so i like my rock beating my ass down and my blues or jazz smooth as silk.and both must have the note separation and inner detail to allow me to almost "see' the preformance unfold.
the heater as drain load was anemic at best and took from the music like taking away a full range loudspeaker system and replacing it with a mini monitor !

Yeah the music is there but where the hell is the rest of it ???????

Next up,light bulbs !

Yes ,i said light bulbs.This is not a new thing but the recent article by Nelson Pass ,the "ZEN Lite" modification of the original ZEN Amp was something that again punched my "cool" button.
this "mod" was a big time improvement over the heater as load resistor but was not exactly "correct" in this implementation .i used refridgerator bulbs (wife as she rooted around in the dark "what happened to the bulb in the refridgerator"-the rick with the long practiced innocent look married men get over time "jeez honey ! I have no clue ?!? It's not there ?")

Better but there was a loss of control at the bottom end.unlike the heater option which took from the bass this one left it there but the bass itself was flabby and uncontrolled.The apparent "speed" and the feeling of tightness was gone and in its place was what i would describe as overhang if it were loudspeakers being discussed .

Back to the 5W/50 ohm Carbon potentiomenter .Pretty damn good sound ,a real bi*ch to get the balance right between the two channels without continous current monitoring.the drift was a killer !

So here i was,not happy with the resistor ,tried the tube heater and light bulb filament option,again not pleased,the variable resitor was a pain but sounded good but only running at 300 ma per channel,the mosfet/transistor/LM317 option while having bass to die for (really tight,fast) butchered the top end.......

DAMMIT !

all the while i am using every conceivable front end from 6GM8 tubes to the 6CA7 (damn good actually),op-amps,transistors,various tubes,FETs..........

And still not happy !

I decide maybe an inductor might be the end zone but i will be damned if i am going to purches the parts and then if they suck have them sitting on my bench laughing at me with no actual job to preform !

So on a whim i took a roll of magnet wire ,yes the entire damn roll from radio shack , and plugged it in.
Not bad ! Not bad at all !
But not yet "there" so i procedded to remove wire and listening between removals until i "dialled in" the sound and it has stayed that way since !

So now this is out of the way but something is yelling at me to bump up the power supply voltage.Everything i know about the FET/Mosfet family,little as it be,is that they like two things

1-class-A operation.not"quasi-class-A" but full tilt idle current=max output current and nothing less .

2-these suckers like the juice as in GIMME SOME DAMN VOLTAGE !

running a MOSFET at +12V or +/-6 Volts is STARVING THE BEAST !!!!!!!!!

You want power ? Feed it !

Hit that sucker with some real he-man voltage and current and be prepared to listen to a new thing entirely !

Starve it and you are spitting in the wind.

so as Kevin stated ,the heater load+the seriosly low voltage supplied to the mosfet/darlington limits where this output stage can be but if you massage it then beat it over the head with some real juice !

Dr.Jekyl becomes the Hyde Monster !

And if i remeber the Melos biasing correctly from memory my first thought was "over done ! Way too complicated to get to the finish line intact" and many areas where things could go wrong.
My philosophy has always been to use what is required to get the end result then toss the rest in the trash as a good idea on paper gone bad.
And that includes building for specs unless you are willing to actually check the harmonic structure all the way into the MHZ range (including the power supply)

So long story short :

Doin the John Swensen/Kevin Gilmore/Melos hybrid gainstage/headphone amp as posted above is somerthing to take under serious consideration.

I HAVE the tube gain stage right here ,i HAVE been down every conceivable path with the Class-A MOSFET Buffer stage and if you get the power supply right the schematic posted will whip some serious ass PLUS give you the ability to vary the volume while changing NOTHING else !

that last is no small feat.The phase margins ,impedance relationships,bandwidth-all are "messed with" when you add a simple volume control to the mix.

A VCA suffers from none of the above if your design is tight

and the servo is not feedback in the classic sense.not even close

longwindedrickmonsterator
very_evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 10:25 PM Post #48 of 69
At least 500ma of bias with +/-15 power supplys and a big old
heatsink for the output device. Better yet +/-24.

And i never said anything about carbon resistors for the load.
Absolute best thing is the non inductive caddok things in the
to220 package. Also bolted to the heatsink. A bit pricy however.

OH look we are back at the 15 watts of power dissipation thing.
Good sound and large amounts of standing power seem to go
together.

Oct 21, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #51 of 69
I'm curious too. Especially about KG's segment. I don't know what a servo really is, but a class A buffer for driving cans, without the big signal path caps, seems very appealing.

I was getting ready to build a Szekeres or similar buffer (follower, whatever). Would this servo design also work as a generic buffer after any ol' preamp (not just the BDT)?

The 2sk170 is hard to find. bdent is out of stock, and the usual places don't have it. Is there a more common part that will work here?

Which opamp should be used for this?

10177604-M.jpg

Peace,
Sanaka

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #54 of 69
You would power the opamp with whatever voltage is appropriate for it. I think that +/-15v is pretty close to the max for an OPA227. Let the data sheet be your guide
cool.gif

-Drew

Oct 22, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #55 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanaka
I'm curious too. Especially about KG's segment. I don't know what a servo really is, but a class A buffer for driving cans, without the big signal path caps, seems very appealing.

A servo is a very cool thing! Without delving into the issues that came up earlier in this thread, this particular opamp servo is an integrator. That means that it measures the rate of change of the output of the amp and sends a correction signal back to the input. It essentially measures the slew rate of the amp and keeps it under control.

What is so cool about it is that you're not sending a phase delayed copy of the output back to the input and having to deal with the problems that global feedback can cause...the output is completely decoupled from the input and all that comes out of the opamp is a voltage that represents the slew rate of the output. Pretty clever.

-Drew

Oct 22, 2004 at 5:24 AM Post #56 of 69
I appologize for my ignorance of electronics, but is the schematic Mr. Gilmore posted of the positive ouput for a balanced amp? if so, how would I go about modifying the buffer for an unbalanced source?.

Oct 22, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #57 of 69
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
I appologize for my ignorance of electronics, but is the schematic Mr. Gilmore posted of the positive ouput for a balanced amp?

Well, you could use it that way of course, but this will work as is from an unbalanced source.

Oct 22, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #58 of 69
Is the 2sk170 necessary, or could any jfet with a high enough IDSS be used in its place. If so, I'll try to have the amp finished sometime next week.

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #59 of 69
I hate to bump a thread this old... But did anyone actually build this? It was a really interesting concept and I'd love to hear whether or not it produced good results.

Apr 28, 2005 at 5:15 AM Post #60 of 69
great call blip, a slightly less daunting task then the dynatoob
very_evil_smiley.gif

would love to know if anything ever came of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back