A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Apr 21, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #856 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nux, I am amazed that you built five of these. You must have a steady hand and a great deal of patience.
smily_headphones1.gif

So, how do your friends like them?

Yep, a lot of patience and time! One was picked up last night, I'll let you know their impressions.

Is anyone else from Aus building one? If anyone in Australia is needing some tubes, I have amassed about 30 compatible tubes and would be happy to sell a few for what I paid for them.

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #857 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by nux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, a lot of patience and time! One was picked up last night, I'll let you know their impressions.

Is anyone else from Aus building one? If anyone in Australia is needing some tubes, I have amassed about 30 compatible tubes and would be happy to sell a few for what I paid for them.

heh..do you have a photo of the 5 builds together completed?

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #859 of 2,218
I wanted to confirm that the stability issues using Sonicap gen II coupling caps in this amp have been resolved. I was told that some resistors values in the e12 were changed to support these caps. Is that right?

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #860 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by rds /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wanted to confirm that the stability issues using Sonicap gen II coupling caps in this amp have been resolved. I was told that some resistors values in the e12 were changed to support these caps. Is that right?

I believe that is true..there are a few prototypers who are using those caps or have rolled them on their amps

Apr 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #861 of 2,218
Quote:

Yes, changes were made to the E12 values but not specifically for those caps(C4L/R). The changes were made to improve stability in general, there were several different circumstances which were causing the E12 to trip not just coupling caps with long leads.

I have had Sonicaps in my build for around a month now with no problems, Well worth the extra cost for the improved SQ and detail.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #862 of 2,218
thanks for the help guys. I have some gen IIs on the way.

I just got my kit with the perforated top from Spruce Canyon Labs and it looks great. Everything is very nicely packaged too.

...such a cool little amp
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #864 of 2,218
Quote:

...such a cool little amp
biggrin.gif

yeah, i was impressed when I saw how compact the pcb was and the amount of parts
wink.gif

The build is going smoothly so far (read: no questions so far!)
icon10.gif

zkcthbuild.jpg

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #866 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice assembly rig!

Perhaps, but we're really waiting to see what kind of casework his CTH gets
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #867 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps, but we're really waiting to see what kind of casework his CTH gets
smily_headphones1.gif

heh..am really waiting for see that too..as well as what case Smeggy has got cooking for his CTH..will be shipping his board is out to him end of the week, requiring only casework.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #869 of 2,218
For those who have built this--About how much did this amp cost to build? And What case did you use for it? Thanks very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #870 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by cms5423 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who have built this--About how much did this amp cost to build? And What case did you use for it? Thanks very much
smily_headphones1.gif

Cost for parts and all is about 150$ + extra for upgraded components (caps, pots, RCA jacks, wallwart, etc)

Used the longer case for my build..also have a smaller case but that board has a lot of problems with it and is undergoing debugging..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back