A Very Compact Hybrid Amp
Mar 31, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #602 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu, How much tighter then, say, a mini3?

about the same..just that there are a whole lot more components..like 170+ of them..which means the chances of things going wrong are greater if one is not concentrating

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #603 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
about the same..just that there are a whole lot more components..like 170+ of them..which means the chances of things going wrong are greater if one is not concentrating

Now, given, this was my second build of this amp, but I just laid everything out, labeled, stuffed, and double checked my work against a big print of the silkscreen. Paid attention to ALL of Alex' guideline on the website, and it worked when I fired it up.

But you are right concentration is key!

Mar 31, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #604 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
look at the tightest area of a mini3 and them multiply that over a board twice the size. It's a lot of parts and very tightly packed.

Yes but no SMD. SMD (somehow) tripped me up before, to the point of ordering replacement even tho I thought I was somewhat skilled
frown.gif

All through-hole & as sweet a PCB layout/design/silkscreen as I can imagine in a 3"x5" space.
Think 160-piece jigsaw puzzle w/all pieces numbers and PLENTY of support text & images on CTH site to assure you get em in right spot
biggrin.gif
But do need reasonably stead hand & PCB vise a great help. Billing this as an "intermediate level" project even tho there is no device matching or pots to adjust, etc.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #605 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now, given, this was my second build of this amp, but I just laid everything out, labeled, stuffed, and double checked my work against a big print of the silkscreen. Paid attention to ALL of Alex' guideline on the website, and it worked when I fired it up.

But you are right concentration is key!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I don't think it would be too much of a daunting task.

So long as you are diligent about placing the components correctly and have a steady hand..it could be done.

The possibilities of solder bridges are high and would be my only concern for an inexperienced person tackling this project and that's why it would help to have a steady hand.

Taking your time during the build is extremely important.

I'll chime in here as well and say this isn't a very difficult build as long as you follow the advice above.

The difficulty one may run into is if you need to replace components due to errors when stuffing the board. If you are super careful, and don't rush the build in order to get it done right away, then it's an easy project.

I verified all my components against the parts list and schematic as I went, and then marked each on off with a hi-lighter after looking for solder bridges after soldering. Slow and Methodical is the way to go with this build.

Pay attention to part orientation - like the tombstoned diodes. There's a good diagram on Alex's site - just make sure the diode body sits on the silk screened circle, and it's a no brainer...

Just lots of components - tightly packed.... Here are some photos from early in the build of my prototype to give you an idea...

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #607 of 2,218
Quote:

Listening to sachus CTH with my K1000 right now. At moderate to loud levels it's doing a damn nice job. Goes quite nicely with them and doesn't appear to be struggling in any way with the load. It's too loud for comfort at max volume
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a 4-pin to SE adapter so when wiatrob's CTH gets here to try out I will have to give the K1000 a try. They work fine off my Single Power Square Wave XL balanced, and also can get too loud to listen with it.

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #609 of 2,218
Quote:

Listening to sachus CTH with my K1000 right now. At moderate to loud levels it's doing a damn nice job. Goes quite nicely with them and doesn't appear to be struggling in any way with the load. It's too loud for comfort at max volume
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, has anyone found a headphone the CTH won't do a nice job with?
It's amazing it's capable of driving K1000's to a reasonable level..

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #610 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, has anyone found a headphone the CTH won't do a nice job with?
It's amazing it's capable of driving K1000's to a reasonable level..

I think if we change the output resistor on mine..it will drive the K1000 more easily so you wouldn't have to turn it up that high...

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:05 PM Post #612 of 2,218
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, as soon as the proof build get's burned in I will send it along. Probably by the weekend...

No hurry...

Apr 1, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #615 of 2,218
I've deciding between building this and CKKIII. Have anyone of you built both and if so any comments on the sound of both?

I'm leaning towards the CKKIII as I like the convenience of SS. What speaks for the CTH is the smaller size, and that it only use one tube, which minimizes the hassle. In the end though, it's the sound that matters. The amp will be used with all of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back