A Very Balanced Sound All Together *$150* Budget
Aug 27, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #17 of 33
x2 on the PL50 (cheapest quality choice).
x2 on the fx500.
You might also consider the Cyclone pr2.
Here's a comparison of all three with various music styles.

Edit: none of these need amping.

Aug 27, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 33
Klipsch Image S4 which retails for about half of your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #19 of 33
If you like bass more but want overall clear and balanced sound then JVC FX500 and Denon C710 are best in this price range. They shows great details in mids and highs with rich deep bass and it's goes really low and reverb, so it's easy to hear lowest bass notes and yet still enjoyable. Denon C710 has little more midrange clarity than FX500 and highs are pretty much same(extended highs) on both IEMs. FX500 has big soundstage and bass goes really deep and reveb, different instrument really shines on FX500. Cresyn 750E has forward midrange but resolutions are much higher than many IEMs in this price range, highs and bass are balanced so overall very balanced soundquality. Klipsch image S4 has signature warm sound with great midrange clarity and rich bass also good highs. So overall these are very good IEMs with low price tag and has outstanding soundquality.

Aug 28, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 33
Ok, read over your post MVW, very very helpful.

It sounds like my best bet are FX500's C710's and mabye ?Pk1's?

Out of ^ those three can they all handle decently loud volumes without distorting(ampless)? Im not crazy about pumping up the volume I just like it decently loud.

Either way Im going to read up on all the ones you guys posted and check them out.

You guys are so helpful.

By the way what sites do you guys order from? I trying to read reviews and compare prices with the fx500's but im having a bit of a hard time.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #22 of 33
I'm basically in the same boat as the OP (sorry for the hijack). I was initially going to just buy the Klipsch S4 after reading reviews, but the more I read here, the more confused I got.

Like the OP, I listen to mostly hip-hop and rap, looking for great sound, need isolation (NYC subway) and comfort and don't want to use an amp. After reading for the past few days, I came up with a list of IEM with some prices I found. Which phone would be the best for the price?

Etymotic er-4p (170)
Shure SE310 (150-170)
Monster Beats (149)
Monster Turbine (149)
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 (148)
Klipsch Image X5 (145)
Klipsch Custom-3 (145)
Westone 1 (140)
Etymotic hf2 (126)
Phonak Audeo PFE (120)
Etymotic hf5 (118)
Westone UM1 (110)
Denon AH-C751 (100)
Shure SE210 (100)
Denon AH-C710 (100)
Klipsch image S4/S4i (80/100)
SoundMagic PL50 (80)
Cresyn C750e (80)

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #23 of 33
It seems to me like you didn't do much reading at all. If you read the Beats review on here, they wouldn't be on the list. The Etymotics wouldnt be on your list either as they are quite useless for rap. You would also know that low-end Shures are almost never recommended on head-fi for price : performance reasons and that the PL50s cost $50-$55.

Asking "which phone is the best for the price" is a loaded question. For me, the PL50 seems to have an advantage in price
tongue.gif
erformance due to costing about 60% as much as the rest of 'em. A lot of people here swear by the Phonaks and the Denon C710/Klipsch S4 seems to be the FOTM's.

Aug 28, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #24 of 33
Of the options in this price range, my vote is for the 710 to match the OPs demands. Excellent for the money, especially for the $82 I paid at Beach Audio. I need to use the Comply to scale back the treble, but on balance, after 100+ hours of burn-in, the 710s are the best I have heard at this price range. I also really liked the PFEs, but to me, they are phones that need an amp to hit max potential. And I have owned many of the phones on that list above.

Oh, I have the S4s and find the treble to be harsh, even with burn-in. Not terrible, but just not right to my ears. Certainly, not as good as the 710s.

And I would not call the 710s FOTM, more a refinement of the 700/751 series, and a big step up.

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 33
Did some reading.

from what you all have said the c710's and the fx500's seem like them best IEM's for my needs. I think.

I have one main question

Which is going to be worth the $150 dolars ?

I'm a highschool student with a job looking for a great set of IEM's. My mom thinks im NUTS for thinking about spending this much for a pair. I just want to make sure theres no hidden crappyness (excuse my slang) about these two IEM's I mentioned. I'm pretty worried. I want to make sure these IEM's are worth my $150.

So I guess I'm just making sure either of these headphones would be right for my standards..

how are these comfort wise? do they stay in the ear well when NOT worn over-the-ear?

If anyone has anything negative to say about either of these and has an alternate reccomendation please speak now!

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #28 of 33
Denon AH-C710 isolate better because it's goes deeper i the ear......

Aug 28, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 33
I concur about the C710. Better isolation, plus once you find the right silicone tips for them (the Sony EX tips are brilliant to my ears), they have all the treble clarity of the FX500's, plus more proper mids. The only area they are slightly behind is in ultimate soundstage width (the FX500's stage betters even the IE8's to my ears- really unbelievable size). Plus they're easier to drive. FX500's take some oomph. The Denons should be cheaper to boot, if either beachaudio.com or bhphotovideo.com get them back in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back