A Very Balanced Sound All Together *$150* Budget
Aug 27, 2009 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

zackw419

Head-Fier
As you may have seen in the other section I have really tried to seek out the perfect portable cans. Now I am here to compare.

Just some info:

I'm a high school student looking for the perfect IEMs/earbuds for daily use. Im posting here STRICTLY looking for IEM's/earbuds only as I believe I have found the right porta-cans for me. I'm on a $150 dollar budget.
I'm looking for the following in an IEM:

Good Isolation, I Ride the bus everyday and it can be pretty noisy there.

An IEM/earbud that sounds great WITHOUT AN AMP. I've read one thing about most IEMs is they need an amp to sound good. Correct me if im wrong.

Detailed Bass, I listen to rap, so bass is a huge thing for me. But im not looking for something just punchy. I really want detailed, quality bass. Not overly boomy, just accurate and nice sounding.

Comfort, something comfortable. I'm not super touchy with IEM comfort but I dont want anything that will hurt my ears. If it helps I find the JVC Aircushion style very comfortable actually
JVC-HA-FX66-Headphones.jpg

Something that doesn't fall out, I find headphones that are designed like this:
sc_inkd.jpg
fall out constantly, I just never got used to them, I move around alot so I dont want IEMS that fall out alot.

[size=medium]*A Very balanced sound all together, achievable without an amp*[/size]

Need some guidance from my fellow IEM enthusiasts! All feedback is appreciated!

smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by zackw419 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An IEM/earbud that sounds great WITHOUT AN AMP. I've read one thing about most IEMs is they need an amp to sound good. Correct me if im wrong.

You are wrong
wink.gif
. Most IEM's don't need an amp to sound good; some improve with an amp; just a few badly need an amp.

Also, it seems like you are wearing your cables straight down. I find that wearing them up over the ear helps keep IEMs such as those Skullcandy Ink'd buds from falling out.

And um.. even though they are quite under-budget, it sounds to me like you're describing the Soundmagic PL50s.

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 33
Klipsch image S4, Cresyn 750E, UE SF5EB, IE6 and Denon AH-C710.....,

Aug 27, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are wrong
wink.gif
. Most IEM's don't need an amp to sound good; some improve with an amp; just a few badly need an amp.

Also, it seems like you are wearing your cables straight down. I find that wearing them up over the ear helps keep IEMs such as those Skullcandy Ink'd buds from falling out.

And um.. even though they are quite under-budget, it sounds to me like you're describing the Soundmagic PL50s.

oo i like the looks of those, ever used them? hows the SQ?

Zarim, Im a newb when it comes to IEM's how do the ones you listed compare to each other? Which, in your opinion give the best balanced sound?

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #6 of 33
The PL50s are very balanced sounding and have a rich and full spectrum. The bass is quite accurate and the amount can be tuned to your liking via EQ - they do respond well at the low end. They are also the most comfortable IEMs I own because they are so darn tiny and light. I can wear them all day. There are several recent reviews (they have just been released) and an appreciation/impressions thread of them on the forum just a quick search away. One of the threads has some pics of how they are worn.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

The PL50s are very balanced sounding and have a rich and full spectrum. The bass is quite accurate and the amount can be tuned to your liking via EQ - they do respond well at the low end. They are also the most comfortable IEMs I own because they are so darn tiny and light. I can wear them all day. There are several recent reviews (they have just been released) and an appreciation/impressions thread of them on the forum just a quick search away. One of the threads has some pics of how they are worn.

Nice. I will definitely keep those in mind. Still interested to see what others say so I can pick and choose
tongue_smile.gif

and Zarim x2 what O.D said
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Phonak Audeo PFE? Go check out the review of it at Anything But iPod - MP3 Player Reviews & News. Supposed to be amazing for the money. Bass may be lacking however.

The PFE is one of those IEMs that do benefit from an amp. Not ideal in this situation.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 33
The PFE is definitely a great product within your price range. Isolation is good. They are comfy to wear (over the ear design). I did feel they fell out easily though with the stock foam tip they use, but that will also depend on ear canal. You could certain buy tips that function more appropriately. Bass is strong with these but not specifically boosted(just +3dB from flat), and they don't require an amp to sound good and get loud. They do clear up and become more controlled at higher volumes when amped though. You will find most earphones do better amped, but it's all a volume issue. Quiet volumes use tiny amounts of wattage, and an amp serves no purpose. However, at moderate to high volumes, wattage needs typically get sufficiently high for most earphones to where they benefit having an amp. The amp simply maintains the dynamic range and driver control.

An earphone I like a lot is Denon's C700/C751. It doesn't need an amp at all. The sound quality is excellent. The frequencies response does favor bass and some treble (think Loud feature on a car receiver). It is an IEM and does offer a bit of isolation. The single flange tip that comes stock only offers mediocre isolation, but this could be swapped out for a better foam tip. I will say the bass can become messy at higher volumes. How much you'll care, I don't know. I'll just say at low volumes the bass is excellent. At higher volumes, it seems to lack control and ends up getting sloppy, not horrid, but not as good as at quieter levels. Midrange and high end don't suffer, and the earphone itself has great dynamics and needs very little power to get loud. It's a fun but also incredibly accurate IEM. A little, precise EQing(cutting out the built in boost) can make it a pretty exceptionally accurate sounding earphone. It's hard not to like this IEM listening to it.

If you're open to losing isolation, buds can be a great route for a bigger, more open sound. On the top of that list would be Yuin's OK1 and PK1, both outstanding but differently geared products. The OK1 is a bit outside your price range, but the PK1 is just $10 more then your limit and is a warmly geared, very big sound and accurate earphone. It's been well loved for a couple years now for a very good reason. If you want bass, it has it. The OK2 is also within the realm of your price range, a little bit cheaper then the PK1. It will be a more neutrally geared earphone and a little better suited without an amp. The OK2 will also be a better option then the PK2. You're pretty much debating between the well loved PK1 with good bass emphasis coloration and big sound but also benefits from the use of an amp or the OK2 which is more neutral and even with a smaller sound and less bass but better suited without an amp.

PFE vs. C751 vs. PK1 vs. OK2, it will come down to a matter of needs and personal preference.

For ultimate accuracy, I would lean towards the PFE. It plays every little detail in the source media. It is dead accurate and offers good bass output to boot that both plays strong and with good energy as well as digs deep. It may be a bit too exact for some folks though.

The best realism goes to the C751. Midrange vocals sound life like, and there is a great since of stage space(where singers/instruments are located, sense of the room/recording space). They are dynamic and articulate notes very well, and are very transparent in sound. I personally consider the frequency response to be flawed and the muddying of the bass response at higher volumes bugs me, but overall, it's an outstanding product that does a lot of key things really well.

The PK1 is the earbud king. Well, I guess it's shared with the OK1, but they're completely different styles and priced sizeably from each other. You get a big can sound from a tiny package as well as a great overall presentation. The big sound can't be matched by any IEM. You do lose isolation though

The OK2 may arguably be a downgrade from the PK1, but the price is also a sizable step down. The OK2 in itself isn't even bad sounding and more neutral then the PK1 which may be a desirable trait. The OK line doesn't seem to bleed sound out to the people around you so much. I own the OK1 myself, love it to death, and it at normal listening levels is actually very quiet/basically not noticeable to people around you. The PK line seems to radiate sound out in all directions more so. I haven't personally listened to the PK1, but I have listened to the PK2. You do lose bass relative to the PK1 and give up isolation that an IEM will give you.

Aug 27, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

The PFE is one of those IEMs that do benefit from an amp. Not ideal in this situation.

Benefits from is one thing. Need is another. You can get away with not amping most earphones without major issue, even ones that are more power hungry. It simply depends on how loud you intend to listen as well as how much distortion, lack of control, and lack of dynamics you are willing to put up with and this solely relies on the listener. I've run everything I've owned without an amp and with an amp. You'll be surprised how fine most earphones are off low power. There are of course gains to be had, but most of the time, you won't know or care enough to mind, even when you do turn up the volume a bit.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Benefits from is one thing. Need is another. You can get away with not amping most earphones without major issue, even ones that are more power hungry. It simply depends on how loud you intend to listen as well as how much distortion, lack of control, and lack of dynamics you are willing to put up with and this solely relies on the listener. I've run everything I've owned without an amp and with an amp. You'll be surprised how fine most earphones are off low power. There are of course gains to be had, but most of the time, you won't know or care enough to mind, even when you do turn up the volume a bit.

Right, but it's an issue of the degree to which earphones will benefit from amping. Many benefit so noticeably that I can't help thinking I need to carry an amp with them even though they sound good without it (e.g. RE2's). Many benefit so little that I couldn't care less for an amp (e.g. PL50). I'm sure that with a few exceptions (ahem Er-4s) all earphones are fine being driven by a player. However, if I were the OP and I got earphones that have been said to benefit from an amp, I would always wonder "what if". Maybe its just me.

Aug 27, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 33
Maybe the new Westone 1? Not sure if it fits the bill or not.

I'm in a similar situation and would ideally like to keep it around $150 or less and the new Westone 1 has gotten some pretty decent initial feedback although not many people have heard them yet. Check out the Westone 1 thread I started for more info and some preliminary reviews.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/w...thread-441836/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back